Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Merrillville is declining?
Yes 36 83.72%
No 6 13.95%
Other - Please Explain 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 11:45 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I will do whatever possible to not shop at Southlake. I cannot stand it.

And I am not alone. I know TONS of people here that only shop in Merrillville if there are no other options. And shopping options have grown by leaps and bounds over the last decade here in Valpo - thankfully. (Have I mentioned that I hate the mall? Ugh.)
we get it Chucky...you hate being around black people....which is why you moved to Valpo and hate the Mall. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 12:58 PM

811 posts, read 2,338,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
we get it Chucky...you hate being around black people....which is why you moved to Valpo and hate the Mall. Got it.
Wins the award for most ignorant post of the year. Congrats, midwest!

Old 12-15-2014, 06:23 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I will do whatever possible to not shop at Southlake. I cannot stand it.

And I am not alone. I know TONS of people here that only shop in Merrillville if there are no other options. And shopping options have grown by leaps and bounds over the last decade here in Valpo - thankfully. (Have I mentioned that I hate the mall? Ugh.)
Yeah, I knew/know many people in the Region that feel the same way. Even as a kid in the 90s Merrillville always had a somewhat negative reputation, though IMO largely unwarranted at least in the commercial areas. Re: Valpo, I'm constantly amazed at how much Valpo has grown and is growing in terms of shopping. I remember the entire east La Porte avenue and environs being nothing but farmland. But I still think overall Valpo just does not have the variety of shopping options (comparatively speaking) that Merrillville has. That being said, I do think people are finding the need to venture into Merrillville increasingly infrequent. I'm interested in seeing what the next 10-15 years will bring for Valpo.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:19 PM

17,410 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:

Seriously?

I said nothing of the sort.

I very rarely report posts ... but congrats! You're the most recent winner!

Old 12-15-2014, 08:23 PM

17,410 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah, I knew/know many people in the Region that feel the same way. Even as a kid in the 90s Merrillville always had a somewhat negative reputation, though IMO largely unwarranted at least in the commercial areas. Re: Valpo, I'm constantly amazed at how much Valpo has grown and is growing in terms of shopping. I remember the entire east La Porte avenue and environs being nothing but farmland. But I still think overall Valpo just does not have the variety of shopping options (comparatively speaking) that Merrillville has. That being said, I do think people are finding the need to venture into Merrillville increasingly infrequent. I'm interested in seeing what the next 10-15 years will bring for Valpo.
Eh. I can't stand Southlake. Especially at this time of year .... people drive like a$$holes and increasingly, have no idea how to share the road with anyone else. And 1/2 the time I have to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke to get inside. Blech.

We're getting a Panda Express in the spring. You have no idea how excited that makes me.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:33 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Quote:
Really? Even BLACK PEOPLE hate going to Southlake Mall...most people regardless of race would rather not go there...lmao

Shoot, Orland Square and Oak Brook have just as many Black people frequenting the malls and overall, in my opinion, the experience is much better. So sharrap!

Old 12-16-2014, 07:34 AM

277 posts, read 442,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Shoot, Orland Square and Oak Brook have just as many Black people frequenting the malls and overall, in my opinion, the experience is much better. So sharrap!
I would almost always rather go to Southlake just to avoid LaGrange road. Once they finish all of the road widening it might be fine, but since that's on a 4 year plan or so, I'll stick with Southlake in the meantime (when I HAVE to go to the area for shopping that is...)

Old 12-18-2014, 05:52 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
I would almost always rather go to Southlake just to avoid LaGrange road. Once they finish all of the road widening it might be fine, but since that's on a 4 year plan or so, I'll stick with Southlake in the meantime (when I HAVE to go to the area for shopping that is...)

From where I'm at, getting to Orland only takes about 10-15 minutes longer than going to Southlake (assuming traffic on 80, which usually when I go on the weekends, there isn't)...but driving from Cedar Lake, going to south lake would be easier.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 AM

277 posts, read 442,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
From where I'm at, getting to Orland only takes about 10-15 minutes longer than going to Southlake (assuming traffic on 80, which usually when I go on the weekends, there isn't)...but driving from Cedar Lake, going to south lake would be easier.
Truth considering my location now. I felt the same when I was living in Lansing, IL though.

There is definitely more (and better restaurants for after shopping) out in Orland. It's just hassle of 80 to the mall that is rather aggravating during peak shopping times.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:31 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I keep coming back to this thread, year after year, and wondering what is wrong with me that I still don't understand why people find Southlake so unpleasant. I'm not a fan of malls anyway, but if I have to go, Orland or Southlake, it's all the same to me.
I feel like paraphrasing Yogi Berra and saying, nobody goes to Southlake anymore, it's too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana