Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Merrillville is declining?
Yes 36 83.72%
No 6 13.95%
Other - Please Explain 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:46 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times

Advertisements

Two new charters opening in Lake County

The Heritage Institute of Arts & Technology in Merrillville is supposed to open this year and is supposed to be located at the old St. Peter and Paul Catholic School located at 5885 Harrison St in Merrillville. I know there was definitely a divide in Merrillville with the possibility of a charter school coming in (refer to articles in my previous post for more info) but I wonder how well received this charter school will be?

Although I am personally not a proponent of charter schools, my prediction is that this school will become pretty popular. It will draw mostly from Gary and Merrillville too given its location in the north end of town and near broadway. In fact, it is also somewhat walkable from Glen Park (especially considering how far some students in Gary have to walk to some schools now with so many neighborhood schools closed).

On another note, I still wonder if a charter school (or a new school in general) will ever be built in Merrillville south of 30 or the ross township section of Crown Point? I know MVCSC owns land by Prairie Point on 93rd that was supposed to be an elementary school. I also think that Eagle Park school would be a good K-4 option in Merrillville or even a K-6 option as residents near there now have to travel absurdly far just to get to the intermediate and middle schools now.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 05:51 AM

Default HIAT location approved

The town has approved HIAT's location at the former SS. Peter and Paul school in the northern end of town.

It will be interesting to see the impact on the school system, specifically, as they add a grade level each year.

Merrillville OKs charter school location

Old 04-19-2017, 06:31 AM

Thumbs down Not Good

First this: Strack & Van Til to close five stores

Now this: Strack & Van Til being sold, nine Ultra stores to close

Specifically to Merrillville, these are huge blows to their most visible areas in town. And the likelihood of something great replacing them in questionable.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:03 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post

Specifically to Merrillville, these are huge blows to their most visible areas in town. And the likelihood of something great replacing them in questionable.
I personally don't think this is surprising. Not so much for Merrillville, but to Stracks. We moved to St. John last May. The first time I went into a Stracks I was very disappointed. First off, their prices are much higher than Meijer or Jewel. I also noticed that not one worker says hello to you or even asks if you need help. The check out ladies are always very cranky and seem like they hate their jobs. When I ordered cupcakes from the bakery I asked if I could have a rainbow of colors for the frosting and the lady looked at me like I was crazy and said "No you can only get white, but I could put sprinkles on them". What? Anyway, they also have a very limited selection of non-food items which is frustrating. Now this observation is made on the stores in St. John and Schererville, so maybe the one in Merrillville is different, but if I had to guess it's not. I have given Stracks a few chances as they are close and never quite busy, but every time I go to one I spend way more money then I would have elsewhere, so I try to just avoid them if possible.

So if I had to guess, the stores closing are underperforming and people are choosing to shop at nearby competitors such as Meijer. In my opinion, even though Merrillville might be in a decline, I feel the general shopping district of Merrillville is doing great. Every store you can think of is on Rt 30. Southlake Mall is way nicer than the mall I used to frequent (Fox Valley in Aurora, Il). Most stores are clean and very busy. I don't see that many empty retailers; however, there are a few.

On a side note, I have yet to go to an Ultra. Maybe I should check one out to make a comparison. I have heard their prices are good!

Old 04-19-2017, 07:04 AM

277 posts, read 442,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post

I read the latest article last night and couldn't help but feel sad that a seemingly stable family run business was in such decline. Strack's had put a lot of money into creating a "greener brand" and even tried their run at upping their brand at the Schererville location to model after the Whole Foods.

I can't imagine Mariano's running in to do the Dominick's takeover scenario, so it looks like another opportunity for another chain to grab and try and work their brand into already built stores. Although it could be as simple as what Jewel has done over the years and switched from owner to owner while still keeping stores open and keeping things relatively the same.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:35 AM

157 posts, read 403,288 times
My guess is that Kroger is the yet to be named potential buyer. Anyone else have any guesses?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:41 AM

119 posts, read 155,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
I read the latest article last night and couldn't help but feel sad that a seemingly stable family run business was in such decline. Strack's had put a lot of money into creating a "greener brand" and even tried their run at upping their brand at the Schererville location to model after the Whole Foods.

I can't imagine Mariano's running in to do the Dominick's takeover scenario, so it looks like another opportunity for another chain to grab and try and work their brand into already built stores. Although it could be as simple as what Jewel has done over the years and switched from owner to owner while still keeping stores open and keeping things relatively the same.
Yea, I'm guessing Kroger is the buyer who owns Mariano's.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:00 PM

83 posts, read 28,362 times
By looking at the current poll results there is not doubt that most people think that the city is in decline. Its pretty obvious IMO.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:54 PM

815 posts, read 2,999,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
Yea, I'm guessing Kroger is the buyer who owns Mariano's.
The problem with Kroger-Mariano's is that Central is going to want a buyer that will continue to use them. It's the reason why they bought Stacks to begin with, to not lose a (major) customer. They sell Strack's to Kroger, they lose the contract to supply those stores, as Kroger does their own supply.

But Kroger may be the only buyer with deep enough pockets to buy 22 stores at once. If it turns out it is Kroger, I am guessing they will rebrand most of them as Mariano's. I don't think any of the smaller chains in the Chicago area like Pete's could pull off such a large deal.

I guess we should have seen this coming. Strack's made very little play for former Dominick's locations (over the whole Chicago area). It was the best opportunity in a generation to grow quickly.

I don't see Jewel and its parent company Albertson's making a play for Stracks either, as they don't seem very interested in NW Indiana anymore.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:12 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLands View Post
By looking at the current poll results there is not doubt that most people think that the city is in decline. Its pretty obvious IMO.
With the increasing taxes in Illinois, the first to make a break for NWI will be those that already live in close proximity, meaning Chicago south side and surrounding burbs. Not a good omen, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana