Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 08:20 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,370,412 times

Advertisements

Miller Beach may be an isolated enclave, but it has long been the only neighborhood generating a tax base for the city.....if it can start to thrive, the general perception of Gary will turn around. No city is better positioned for a resurgence than Gary.

One thing I've mentioned before is the burgeoning Population of the Greater Loop.....now approaching 200,000. many of these folks don't own a car...and more and more are discovering Miller Beach, plus the booming Hyde Park neighborhood which has always had ties to Miller/the Dunes......this could turn into a tidal wave in the coming decade. the North Shore is more or less off limits, both physically and financially, the South Shore is either protected or industrialized, which leaves Miller with its train to Michigan Avenue. And did I mention Chicagoland's best views? Only National Park????
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:26 AM

17,371 posts, read 14,618,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Miller Beach may be an isolated enclave, but it has long been the only neighborhood generating a tax base for the city.....if it can start to thrive, the general perception of Gary will turn around. No city is better positioned for a resurgence than Gary.

One thing I've mentioned before is the burgeoning Population of the Greater Loop.....now approaching 200,000. many of these folks don't own a car...and more and more are discovering Miller Beach, plus the booming Hyde Park neighborhood which has always had ties to Miller/the Dunes......this could turn into a tidal wave in the coming decade. the North Shore is more or less off limits, both physically and financially, the South Shore is either protected or industrialized, which leaves Miller with its train to Michigan Avenue. And did I mention Chicagoland's best views? Only National Park????
See ... I don't think so. The better Miller gets (and it's not THAT bad now) the more distance the residents will try and put between them and Gary. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big resurgence of talk to legally separate from Gary. (Which has a slim to none chance but stranger things have happened.)

Even now, Miller Beach doesn't claim Gary. Ask a Miller resident where they live, and they'll say Miller Beach. Ask for clarification, they'll say on the lake, or next to Ogden Dunes ... it's rare that they say Gary.

And your description of a tidal wave of residents from Hyde Park and the city moving here - puts them squarely in Miller.

I really doubt that when people can't find anything they like in Miller, they'll say to their real estate agent, 'Hey - show me some houses in Black Oak!" or "Let's take a look at Aetna!"

Old 02-11-2015, 02:45 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
See ... I don't think so. The better Miller gets (and it's not THAT bad now) the more distance the residents will try and put between them and Gary. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big resurgence of talk to legally separate from Gary. (Which has a slim to none chance but stranger things have happened.)

Even now, Miller Beach doesn't claim Gary. Ask a Miller resident where they live, and they'll say Miller Beach. Ask for clarification, they'll say on the lake, or next to Ogden Dunes ... it's rare that they say Gary.

And your description of a tidal wave of residents from Hyde Park and the city moving here - puts them squarely in Miller.

I really doubt that when people can't find anything they like in Miller, they'll say to their real estate agent, 'Hey - show me some houses in Black Oak!" or "Let's take a look at Aetna!"
So is Miller Beach the ONLY nice area of Gary? I've never been there, but it seems to be one of Gary's last well to do areas, almost like a suburb, except it's been incorporated into the city of course.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:04 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,618,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So is Miller Beach the ONLY nice area of Gary? I've never been there, but it seems to be one of Gary's last well to do areas, almost like a suburb, except it's been incorporated into the city of course.
I don't think it's well-to-do AT ALL. Not necessarily nice either. It's okay ... with a breathtakingly beautiful backdrop of the lake.

There's no part of Gary that's overwhelmingly 'nice'. Some parts are better than others - and Miller is one of them - but I wouldn't classify any of them as nice.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:43 PM

Love: Lost & Found : Photos

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lsBd3AnPsK4

Old 02-14-2015, 06:47 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,086 times
Quote:
I'm glad WGN covered this, reaches a much larger audience by doing this. However the news is still grim in Gary, the chamber of commerce admits that Gary has, "No furniture store, no grocery store, no movie theater" calling it a city that lacks even the basics.

I know a Starbucks isn't the be all end all of a city and how successful it is, but Gary has 80,000 people and not a single chain cafe. I kind of wonder where all the manufacturing and steel mill workers live at, because Gary still has a lot of industry.
She misspoke. Country market at 25th and grant, the save more on 9th and Broadway has been there for decades as well as the key market between miller and Aetna. There aren't any chain grocery stores there which isn't a bad thing.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:05 AM

An article on 18th Street Brewery's expansion...

Category: 18th Street Brewery - IndianaOnTap.com

Old 03-14-2015, 08:20 PM

18 posts, read 27,713 times
You can live in an abandoned parking garage if your heroin doesn't sell

Old 03-15-2015, 02:05 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,724,700 times
Quote:
or that people visit it for?

Speaking only for myself it's a photographer's dream AND Pine Junction is right down the street. Pine Junction is one of the best places to visit if you're a railfan. If all goes to plan I'll be making the 12 hour drive there in May for one day of shooting trains!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times
The beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana