Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 09:01 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,094 times

Advertisements

My oldest brother lived in the Miller Beach area in the early 70's but moved to Pennsylvania for work as a tool & die maker when the Gary plant closed. My parents lived in Glen Park until their deaths in very recent years. I do remember going to Miller Beach and enjoying it immensely but haven't been there in years. Is the old Beach Cafe with it's awesome perch still there?

I do agree that the baseball stadium in downtown Gary is great. I've enjoyed several minor league games there, and it's a very inexpensive night out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 11:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
My oldest brother lived in the Miller Beach area in the early 70's but moved to Pennsylvania for work as a tool & die maker when the Gary plant closed. My parents lived in Glen Park until their deaths in very recent years. I do remember going to Miller Beach and enjoying it immensely but haven't been there in years. Is the old Beach Cafe with it's awesome perch still there?

I do agree that the baseball stadium in downtown Gary is great. I've enjoyed several minor league games there, and it's a very inexpensive night out
One thing that NW Indiana gets right is the Lakefront. What gorgeous beaches and views. Chicago's lakefront actually is pretty mediocre. I mean city limits, of course.

By the way, I was in Philly last week and got gas in Camden. I think "da region" is to Chicago what South Jersey is to Philly. You go there for gambling, cheap gas, and views of the shore, and then get the hell out.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:20 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,373,314 times
Gary 2.0 Starts right about now.......hop aboard

Old 08-17-2015, 04:49 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
I drove through Gary yesterday, got rerouted due to heavy traffic along my way to Chicago, that city has fallen on some serious hard times. I'd wager almost 80% of the buildings around the downtown area are completely vacant. And the ones that are occupied look really really rough. Gary is probably worse than people's visions imagine it to be.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default Surely your jest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
One thing that NW Indiana gets right is the Lakefront. What gorgeous beaches and views. Chicago's lakefront actually is pretty mediocre. I mean city limits, of course.

By the way, I was in Philly last week and got gas in Camden. I think "da region" is to Chicago what South Jersey is to Philly. You go there for gambling, cheap gas, and views of the shore, and then get the hell out.
Fully 60% of Gary's "water front" is the toxic moonscape of Arcelor Mittal, where, if you are not covered in carcinogenic dusts, you can gaze at the glorious "flares" on the smokestacks of the BP refinery in Whiting burning off explosive mixed hydrocarbons or perhaps the cooling towers of the Michigan City coal fired (but nuclear capable...) generation site. In contrast, over 95% of Chicago's lake front is parkland, from which you mostly see water or Chicago's rather impressive skyline...

Old 08-17-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Fully 60% of Gary's "water front" is the toxic moonscape of Arcelor Mittal, where, if you are not covered in carcinogenic dusts, you can gaze at the glorious "flares" on the smokestacks of the BP refinery in Whiting burning off explosive mixed hydrocarbons or perhaps the cooling towers of the Michigan City coal fired (but nuclear capable...) generation site. In contrast, over 95% of Chicago's lake front is parkland, from which you mostly see water or Chicago's rather impressive skyline...
Possibly, but you also get the view of Chicago's skyline where it's beautiful at night. Also, the view is compounded by the fact you're in the Indiana Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore and I like the dunes. Chicago's beaches might be surrounded by parkland but they're not taken care of very well. Miller beach seems in much better condition. I'd rather go there than most beaches in Chicago, but that's just me. Whiting also re-did their park and it's excellent. Their beach is meh but doesn't make me think it's bad. I'd say outside of Oak St beach and MAYBE North Ave beach, Chicago beaches are s h i t holes with trash littered all over them and murky waters with a funky smell.

The factories of Arcelor Mittal and the NIPSCO cooling station are seen in the distance. Chicago's dismal beaches are right there in front of you. Also, in Chicago, you never see the sun set over the skyline due to the lakeshore's position on the cityscape.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:33 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,373,314 times
Miller Beach, when including adjoining National parkland is like some six miles long, with Dunes, Lagoons, seagrass the whole way. Nothing absolutely nothing in Chicago can hold a candle to it in terms of natural beauty. Also, as it faces North, Miller Beach gets much more impressive surf than Chicago beaches...notic how Chicago beaches are artificially angled to catch the waves from the North. Also, Miller Beach has awesome sandbars, sometime double and triple sandbars...and again, that's a 6 mile sandbar...Michigan City also has beaches that are leagues above Chicago's.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:13 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Didn't know Gary was really east Chicago where arcelor is. You are thank ng USS. At least get it right.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Didn't know Gary was really east Chicago where arcelor is. You are thank ng USS. At least get it right.
I believe Arcelor Mittal has a plant in Burns Harbor? Flat carbon I believe.

Funny how he says in Chicago you see the impressive skyline. Call me crazy but I thought the beaches faced east and your view is either just water or Whiting's BP Refinery flares, Arcelor Mittal's fumes, or US Steel's smokestacks. Cuz, I don't know what beaches he's referring to but if you're actually looking OUT FROM THE BEACH it is impossible to see the skyline unless you face away from the water. At which point, you can kind of do that without going to the beach, anyway. What beaches is he even referencing? Has he ever been to beaches like 63rd, Rainbow, or 100th? Their view is pretty much all of the NWI mills, refineries, and power plants. Even from Navy Pier it's easily visible on a clear night.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:36 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I believe Arcelor Mittal has a plant in Burns Harbor? Flat carbon I believe.

Funny how he says in Chicago you see the impressive skyline. Call me crazy but I thought the beaches faced east and your view is either just water or Whiting's BP Refinery flares, Arcelor Mittal's fumes, or US Steel's smokestacks. Cuz, I don't know what beaches he's referring to but if you're actually looking OUT FROM THE BEACH it is impossible to see the skyline unless you face away from the water. At which point, you can kind of do that without going to the beach, anyway. What beaches is he even referencing? Has he ever been to beaches like 63rd, Rainbow, or 100th? Their view is pretty much all of the NWI mills, refineries, and power plants. Even from Navy Pier it's easily visible on a clear night.
You definitely see bp and the other prominent one is the former ltv/USS tube works. You have to know where to look to see USS from navy pier. Anywhoo beaches on the Indiana side has always been considered better. Not necessarily wahalia beach but lake St beach heading east into the dunes generally has a lot of Illinois people there. I'm sure there are those in Indiana that partake the Chicago beaches but generally has been the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana