Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 02:20 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,706,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
According to the information provided you joined City Data 12 years ago and just now made your first post?

Your information is at least 10 years out of date. Has this post been somewhere in the Twilight Zone, until now?

Weird!
He must have a time machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 06:54 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurosestar17 View Post
My husband and i have the opportunity to relocate to Oahu for my job, but so far I have yet to find a reliable source to ship my baby. I know most airlines will ship, however not many accept snub nosed dogs like my Coco. Has anyone ever shipped a pitbull into Honolulu? And yes, I am aware of the 120-day quarintine period.
Do you know why they don't want "snub nose dogs?" Snub nose dogs don't do well in hot temps, so if they are stuck on a runway/luggage area they don't want your dog to die.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:46 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
The original post was from 2011, the dog could be dead by old age by now, no need to worry about airlines causing harm.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:31 AM

1,014 posts, read 480,433 times
They are not allowing any dogs on the airplane, with out the proper price. And it has to be a proper breed. If you leave that dog in the container with those ninKampoos, that dog will die under the airplane. The only way to transport that "mut" is through Matson. Someone has to feed it though for two weeks. They are day people too on Matson. So you can ship your dogs or pets. But it will take 2 weeks to get here. If you fly the dog on the airplane, they will not allow it because a pit bull bites. Has to be a golden retriever of some sort. Then they'll allow it. For a price. No freebies.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:00 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,071,757 times
OP, I would advise you to talk to your vet about relocating your dog to Hawaii. My knowledge is secondhand - a co-worker's son was in the Navy and was living in the U.S. (west coast, I believe). He was transferred to HI and moved there with his wife and young German Shepard dog. Within a couple of months, the dog contracted some kind of skin disease, and despite spending thousands on vet care, the dog ended up dying, they were heartbroken. The vet told him that some mainland dogs "Don't do well transitioning to the tropics", but I don't know the exact details. I'm not trying to scare you, but only to warn you enough such that you research it fully and make an informed decision. Like I said, the family was heartbroken over it, I have no idea how common it is, whether it is breed-specific, etc..

I would also research transporting pets in aircraft holds, there is a high enough percentage who perish from either lack of oxygen, stress, getting loose, etc., that I am afraid to do so myself, but I'm overcautious when it comes to my dogs. I'd drive them cross-country vs. flying them, personally - not sure what I'd do if I was moving to Hawaii, that'd be a tough drive. Cruise ship, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: