Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canali View Post
I have a situation here that I can't quite resolve, thus I hope someone in here could guide me with their own experience.

I live in DC and have a little kid. My Mom lives in Honolulu. Recently she was diagnosed with Parkinson disease. For years, I have persuaded her to move to DC and live with me yet she keeps refusing. She just doesn't like anywhere else rather than Honolulu. The only option for me is to move to HI to take care of Mom. I have been reading through lots of postings regarding moving to Honolulu in here and I am really scared and confused.

First, I can't seem to find a job in Honolulu that needs my specialty (I'm in Credential Examination Field). Besides, HI employers never respond to out-of-state applicants as me, even though I repeatedly applied for any job from admin support to customer service to sales... I'm desperate cuz without a job, I can't rent any place in order to settle for my kid to go to school. I can't stay with my Mom since she lives in a senior housing building. Ideally, I wish to rent a place that later my Mom can come live with us too.

Second, I have no idea about school system in HI and my kid is 5. People said I have to register around Apr in order for him to enter school in Sept. If we move there in Sept, will he be allowed to go to school in Honolulu without any advanced registration at all?

Third, I don't have much savings to take with me to Honolulu, will I be able to survive with all the high living costs of a paradise place?

Drop everything in DC to take an adventure to Honolulu without any security is such a big risk ?! How should I do?

Well I know exactly how you feel about moving out of your comfort zone. I just moved out of Hawai'i about 7 months ago I'm from Waipahu(Island of O'ahu) Hawai'i. I moved out here because home was to expensive and I wanted to further my education so I can be wealthy enough to move back. If your career is in the medical field, most likely you are to get a job. You child can enroll in school whenever, you just have to let the school know about everything and have every information about your child, it shouldn't take too long. The places in O'ahu you can't just ride a bike outside are Wahiwa, Waianae, Nanakuli, Ma'ili, Makaha, Waipahu, Palolo, and Kalihi, it's kind of ghetto. The best sides are the Northshore side where the polynesian cultural center is or the east side where all the beautiful mountains reside on where the pali look out is. Oh and Hawai'i kai, it's a rich place. Waikiki is known for Hawai'i's tourism and hospitality, places can be safe if you from there, you know a lot of people and you stand your grounds. I do miss home a lot though, it's great, has a lot what other states don't and very aloha. I am not so old but my family back home do work really hard to live their my mother is 42 and she has 3 jobs, her degree isn't really helping to get a good job. If there is anything else you need to know, just let me know, I hope I helped

Last edited by 7th generation; 11-08-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joji808 View Post
Well I know exactly how you feel about moving out of your comfort zone.... ...If there is anything else you need to know, just let me know, I hope I helped
Aloha,

If you check the date in the upper left corner, that post was made more than a year ago.

Personally I would never advise anyone to move into a situation where they will be forced into filing for Section 8. The "Social Safety Net" is stretched very thin in Hawai'i, and low-income housing in many areas has years long wait lists. Some are so long they've been closed indefinitely.

Deliberately coming to Hawai'i to get into that system is just volunteering to be miserable.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joji808 View Post
You should sign up for section 8 and low income housing
For anyone in the future doing a site search because they are thinking of moving to Hawaii, and happens upon the above advice, it is terrible advice.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 PM

38 posts, read 73,167 times
Stay where you are. The economy is headed south so hang onto your job for dear life. Your Mom is already in assisted living -- what are you supposed to do? You have a wonderful heart for wanting to take care of your Mother, but why give her two more things to worry about. Those being you, unemployed and desperate, and her grandchild, stuck in the worst public education system in the United States of America.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
If you check the date in the upper left corner, that post was made more than a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu