Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
HonoBob and Wboy, many thanks for your recommendations.

First, many thanks Honobob for the parking space offer. I
am truly grateful, but I have to pass.

Michel's is a really nice place. If I told my wife I wanted to take her
there, there would be the inevitable clothing decisions that would arise
which usually make us late for any reservation. If we were to spontaneously
drop in, she will be uncomfortable for the entire evening if she doesn't feel
appropriately attired for the location. I seem to get by on an old
aloha shirt, cotton khaki trousers and slippers, however I suppose my
wife tries doubly hard to make up for my determined indifference.

Wboy, your recommendation sounds great. Every couple of months we
stroll Waikiki and people watch. It's great fun and cheap entertainment.
A cabana at Azure is more beach oriented; somewhat downgrades the
necessity to "dress up" and we can enter the property from the beach. In
addition the food is outstanding and we have the cabana to ourselves.
Perhaps a room for the night at the RH after dinner might be best way
to complete the evening.

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions!
I like the idea of adding a room at the RH to cap off the dinner at Azure. Nice touch. And don't forget to upgrade her Maitai to the "Royal" Maitai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 10:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I like the idea of adding a room at the RH to cap off the dinner at Azure. Nice touch. And don't forget to upgrade her Maitai to the "Royal" Maitai.
I don't know - I much prefer the "Scratch" Mai Tai - which was the only Mai Tai they had until they changed the menu a few years back. For awhile when they changed the menu, the original Mai Tai was something you had to ask if you knew about it until they put it back on the menu as the "Scratch" Mai Tai.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 PM

451 posts, read 412,343 times
I think I have seen my wife drink a Mai Tai once. It was when we first going out (a million or two, years ago),
and I suspect she drank it only because I ignorantly ordered it for her. She was being kind. Lately, she occasionally
indulges in these rather odious (my opinion) Mojito drinks. A decidedly un-Hawaiian beverage being
consumed by a remarkable Hawaiian lady. I probably shouldn't whine about Mojito's. I guess they are part of
the mélange that is now Hawai'i....although I bet it's damn hard to find one on Moloka'i.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I like Mavro's and Nobu.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
I think I have seen my wife drink a Mai Tai once. It was when we first going out (a million or two, years ago), and I suspect she drank it only because I ignorantly ordered it for her. She was being kind. Lately, she occasionally indulges in these rather odious (my opinion) Mojito drinks. A decidedly un-Hawaiian beverage being consumed by a remarkable Hawaiian lady. I probably shouldn't whine about Mojito's. I guess they are part of the mélange that is now Hawai'i....although I bet it's damn hard to find one on Moloka'i.
Former bartender here...

I don't know why you would find Mojitos "odious," since they are an authentic pre-war tropical drink from the 30's which are enjoyed all over the world. And being a tall drink, with mineral water and mint added to the rum and lime and sugar base, which are common to many tropical drinks, a Mojito is light and cooling. Very refreshing!

It's also puzzling to me that anyone would find that delightful beverage inferior in any way to the bogus "tiki" drink called a Mai Tai, which was invented in Oakland, California, and brought to Hawai'i in 1950 by Trader Vic, when he opened his first restaurant in Honolulu, due to a divorce. After losing all his restaurants to his ex-wife in a divorce settlement, and being prohibited by that agreement from opening a restaurant in any state in the country, he found a loophole. Hawai'i wasn't a state then. So that's how the Mai Tai got to Hawai'i, because of a divorce.

Ironically the Mai Tai started out as a lighter drink than what is commonly served today, consisting of rum and lime and sugar (see what I mean?) to which a bit of an orange liqueur and almond flavored syrup were added for flavoring. In its current manifestation, a Mai Tai typically has orange juice and pineapple juice added, and a dark rum floater on top, making it a heavier, sweeter drink, with a more obvious kick.

I enjoy them both, myself, but mai tais tend to sit me back hard in my seat, whereas mojitos keep me dancing a little longer, if you catch my drift. In any case, if you are going to all this trouble to try to surprise her and please her, I'd call ahead to the chosen place, to be sure they make mojitos, since that's what she prefers. Not every place does.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:39 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
So glad to hear that Michel's is still around. I was told years ago that it had closed. Which made me sad.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:47 PM

32 posts, read 53,215 times
You should check out Le Bistro in Nui Valley, its an excellent restaurant.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times
Rain Monkey, sounds like you have a good plan. I've never been to Azure but it is on my list now. Count on me in your Ohana Helper Flash Mob if you ever need. Sounds like your lady does like to dress up. Azure says casual and Michele's says dressy casual. It might be a "surprise" to announce a couple of days ahead that you want to show her off and take her to Michele's. Surprise in the eye of the beholder. They do have a very nice three course Brunch the first Sunday of every month for about $50. A little less formal but still very impressive. Enjoy!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times
All you LOST fans. There was a flash back scene that was shot in Michele's. They green screened the windows towards the beach and substituted Niagra Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu