Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 06:37 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
Thanks HBH. Refresh my aging memory if you will about the Punch Bowel. I think that is where I went to see Buck Owens when he played there back in 65. Boy, anybody's memory would fail that far back....LOL.
Lol, 65 is before my time. I have associated the punch bowl to be the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6Ds3toDBQ

Maybe your talking about the waikiki shell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6CsBawsi_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U82CWM8hk3U

Buck Owens is country music right? My grandfather was the country music guy, me not so much lol. I believe Mr Owens his remains now lie at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Punchbowl Crater on Oahu, Hawaii?

Buck Owens - "Johnny B Goode" - YouTube

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 08-21-2014 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 09:49 AM

170 posts, read 292,253 times
Quote:
Great to hear that guys, may get a chance to see them about three times then. I am not sure what aircraft I will be on, Travis has quite a few different ones coming through. Most likely it will be a C-117 or a C-5.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:41 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I believe Mr Owens his remains now lie at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Punchbowl Crater on Oahu, Hawaii?
No, Buck Owens was laid to rest at the Greenlawn Cemetery in Bakersfield, California.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:25 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
No, Buck Owens was laid to rest at the Greenlawn Cemetery in Bakersfield, California.
Ok mahalo for the info

Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 PM

293 posts, read 361,831 times
Thanks guys. I just remember going to watch Buck and his band one night and if I recall correctly. It was at the Punch Bowl. What is it used for now? Is it worth driving by and looking at it you can get into it?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
Thanks guys. I just remember going to watch Buck and his band one night and if I recall correctly. It was at the Punch Bowl. What is it used for now? Is it worth driving by and looking at it you can get into it?
Are you sure you got the right name? Where was the "Punch Bowl" located? Maybe you are thinking of the Waikiki Shell in Kapiolani Park.

Jerry's Brokendown Palaces: Waikiki Shell, 2805 Monsarrat Avenue, Honolulu, HI

Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Rounding out the picture... since 1949 the Oahu Punchbowl, a prehistoric volcanic crater, has been the site of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, where many military casualties were buried...

Oahu’s Punchbowl — National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific | Go Visit Hawaii

And since 2006, Buck Owens, founder of "The Bakersfield Sound" in country music, former owner of The Crystal Palace restaurant in Bakersfield, where he played his last concert, dying hours later in his sleep at his longtime Bakersfield home, and owner of many other Bakersfield businesses, including recording studios and music stores, has been laid to rest in the Owens family's marble mausoleum in Bakersfield, with a sign over the door reading: "Buck's Place."

Buck Owens’ Ghost Is Alive After Seven Years | Playing the 'Field

Old 08-23-2014, 01:03 AM

Thanks guys for the info. Remember, I was an eighteen year old kid at the time, the army bussed us down one night when he was in town and we got to see him. I thought it was the Punchbowl. Could be wrong, but that name has always stuck in my mind.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 PM

Hey guys/gals, I plan on bringing my GPS with me. Should I also bring my radar detector? I don't plan on speeding....lol. But they are good for radar traps, witch I tend to sleep through....

Old 08-26-2014, 10:49 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
GPS is good. But with all the traffic and construction going on might have some slow driving.
Base police at Pearl Harbor/Hickam use radar guns for the 25mph speed limit on the base.
Normally the motor bike police set up with the speed guns on the fwy. Heads up for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu