Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,221,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwine? View Post
I don't think ANYPLACE in Ohio could be worse than California,lol! The cost of living in Salinas and most of Cali is 30-35% over the national average. I will research the areas. Been doing alot since my first trip to The Amish country and stayed in Dellroy last OCt. I kinda like that area. There is a Ikon dealer near there. Been looking at a rental in Wooster, a gorgeous log home for under $1300! You couldn't touch a cheesy run down 2 bedroom here in Salinas for that price! Thanks for the tips!
Wooster is a very nice town, and it sounds like you would like it. It has a small college and there are Amish towns close by.

I have actually been though Salinas before. You are right, most of the people appeared to be Mexican immigrants. In contrast to the wealthy towns along Monteray Bay. It looked to me like Salinas was the town where all of the poor immigrants lived who did the service and farming jobs for the wealthier reisdents in the nearby coastal towns. I lived in California for a few years, so I know the good and bad about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The last time I visited my hometown in Central Ohio, I saw Spanish-language magazines in the checkout line at the grocery store. I doubt the grocery store would put them there if there wasn't demand for them. There may be more recent immigrants than you think in Ohio.
Oh, I know there are some. Nothing even close to compared to out west though. Ohio has a pretty small hispanic population in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Newark
Newark has a whopping hispanic population of 0.8%!

Races in Newark:

• White Non-Hispanic (93.6%)
  • Black (3.1%)
  • Two or more races (1.5%)
  • Hispanic (0.8%)
  • American Indian (0.8%)

I believe the town in Ohio with the highest % hispanic population is Lorain, with 21% hispanic (mostly Puerto Rican).

Last edited by 5Lakes; 06-17-2010 at 12:37 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 12:30 PM

83 posts, read 185,659 times
Well, there's going to be Hispanics wherever you go. It's the ILLEGAL ones as well as other races that are here ILLEGALLY where I don't want to live. Had it up to my eyeballs with the problems. California is the worst, but our Liberal Governor will do nothing to curtail the problem. I just want to live in a place where most people speak a language I understand. Are patriotic and are proud to be an American, regardless of where they originally came from. Where I don't see Mexican flags all over the place and trashy homes with too many cars parked outside with Mexican music blaring well into the night! Soryy if it sounds racist, trust me please, I am not! But if you lived here in Salinas and encountered this thing everyday, it would wear on you, it it has! I just want people to respect others and thier property, talk to each other as good neighbors and just get along. No gangs, no blight, I know no area is perfect, but I bet there is alot of places in Ohio that would fit with what I am looking for!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Wooster is a very nice town, and it sounds like you would like it. It has a small college and there are Amish towns close by.

I have actually been though Salinas before. You are right, most of the people appeared to be Mexican immigrants. In contrast to the wealthy towns along Monteray Bay. It looked to me like Salinas was the town where all of the poor immigrants lived who did the service and farming jobs for the wealthier reisdents in the nearby coastal towns. I lived in California for a few years, so I know the good and bad about it.

Oh, I know there are some. Nothing even close to compared to out west though. Ohio has a pretty small hispanic population in the grand scheme of things.
I also want to get away from all the pesticide use that's around here! Nasty stuff! Thanks to our BIG AG that cares more for profits than anything. Maybe that's why I liked the little farms that dotted Amish country, I doubt the Amish use much pesticides!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,158,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Newark has a whopping hispanic population of 0.8%!

Races in Newark:

• White Non-Hispanic (93.6%)
  • Black (3.1%)
  • Two or more races (1.5%)
  • Hispanic (0.8%)
  • American Indian (0.8%)
Maybe there's a large undocumented population there, then. Undocumented people wouldn't be included in that total.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:07 PM

You would know if alot of illegals were living there. I hate to say it, but you would see alot of overcrowded and trashy houses. Beat up cars, moms with 5-6 kids and alot of Mexican flags flying in the front yard and on the cars, at least that's Salinas for you!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,158,324 times
Quote:
You would know if alot of illegals were living there. I hate to say it, but you would see alot of overcrowded and trashy houses. Beat up cars, moms with 5-6 kids and alot of Mexican flags flying in the front yard and on the cars, at least that's Salinas for you!
Newark has had everything on that list, except the flags, for years. Probably makes it a good place to hide.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:29 PM

hahaha!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,937,697 times
I wouldn't say I'm for or against it, but in Ohio at this time I don't believe it's that big of a problem. Now for a lot of the country I would say it is a big problem.

It is true Lorain has the highest Hispanic% in Ohio, the current estimate is 26% ( Lorain city, Ohio - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008 ) but only 4-5% of that 26 is Mexican, of course there are some illegals who aren't counted, Puerto Ricans make up 19% of the 26%.

In Columbus supposedly there are a lot of mexican illegals living in the apartment complexes off 270 and Broad, between Westland and Westview shopping centers. Another area I heard is a little past Northland mall.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
I wouldn't say I'm for or against it, but in Ohio at this time I don't believe it's that big of a problem. Now for a lot of the country I would say it is a big problem.

It is true Lorain has the highest Hispanic% in Ohio, the current estimate is 26% ( Lorain city, Ohio - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008 ) but only 4-5% of that 26 is Mexican, of course there are some illegals who aren't counted, Puerto Ricans make up 19% of the 26%.

In Columbus supposedly there are a lot of mexican illegals living in the apartment complexes off 270 and Broad, between Westland and Westview shopping centers. Another area I heard is a little past Northland mall.
What bothers me is the illegals are taking low wage jobs legal workers and citizens maybe who just got laid off or out of college and can't find any other work, away from them. And the blatent disrespect primarily the Mexicans have toward anyone who isn't Mexican) At least that is what is happening here. I ahd an American flag ripped out of my truck when I was on the East side of Salinas one night 20 years ago, and these mexicans burned it. It really upset me. My father fought in WW2 for our freedoms and for these guys to come over here, disregard our laws, spit on our flag, insist we speak Spanish or *********, I am sorry, it kind of erks me a bit Soooo, it seems I am getting a bit more support from everyon in Ohio if I move there, than my original plan, which was to move to Oregon. I think they are too liberal anyway!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,890,887 times
Quote:
What bothers me is the illegals are taking low wage jobs legal workers and citizens maybe who just got laid off or out of college and can't find any other work, away from them. And the blatent disrespect primarily the Mexicans have toward anyone who isn't Mexican) At least that is what is happening here. I ahd an American flag ripped out of my truck when I was on the East side of Salinas one night 20 years ago, and these mexicans burned it. It really upset me. My father fought in WW2 for our freedoms and for these guys to come over here, disregard our laws, spit on our flag, insist we speak Spanish or *********, I am sorry, it kind of erks me a bit Soooo, it seems I am getting a bit more support from everyon in Ohio if I move there, than my original plan, which was to move to Oregon. I think they are too liberal anyway!
You seem to have a grudge against Mexicans? I'm unemployed , but i don't go around blaming other races for taking jobs that might go to me.....i'm not that kind of American. Ohio is a liberal state too , for the most part with Conservatives in the Rural areas , I can say for a fact that almost all Northeastern / Midwestern states are that way. My neighborhood is full of flags most of them aren't American but European and Asian. If you don't want to live in area with Hispanics move to a state like Wyoming or Montana. Ohio in RL might not be so supportive , might be the opposite. Your thread was closed on the Oregon forum for a reason. I doubt Mexicans burned your flag , unless you provoked them. What about the illegal Canadians , Russians , Africans , you seem to be just after Mexicans.......thats what i find disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio