Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:42 AM

768 posts, read 942,486 times

Advertisements

If you've already got an "in" and just need a credential, Franklin is the way to go. You can do it all online. If you're just getting started, I couldn't disagree more with the poster who implied that Franklin is a superior alternative to OSU. No recruiters even bother attending career fairs at Franklin, while they line up at OSU, even in a poor economy. The difference between the two is night and day. An established, world-recognized top 50 university and an online-based for-profit that nobody has even heard of.

And so, it's an accredited university, so if you're set in your tracks, it's a convenient option. If you're thinking about expanding your resume to outside resources beyond your current situation, I would try to find a better university if your grades allow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,819 times
Franklin is not a degree mill, but mostly because few graduate. Their graduation rate is somewhere around 16% according to the FAFSA figures, and my guess is that is becuase most people realize what kind of education they are receiving from Franklin and move elsewhere (like I did). They are unranked in the top 200 schools for business, while their neighbors at Ohio State are ranked in the top 20, and Franklin charges MORE for tuition. They are more expensive, while being statistically insignificant, which indicates enough. If you'd like an easy education (especially online, they'll let anything go) Franklin is your school. Otherwise, spend your money (and less of it) elsewhere.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,638 times
I am starting their CC alliance program in about 3 weeks so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. I am actually more concerned about all the competition for jobs after graduation than I am about Franklin because they seem pretty solid.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,700 times
Default Current Franklin student

I am currently enrolled at Franklin University, between my third and fourth "trimester." Franklin University is duly accredited (so far) and offers actual graded classes (both in person and online) and is therefore not a diploma mill in the correct usage of that term.

Be advised that Franklin has a graduation rate of 12%; the national average is 53% and Ohio State's is 72%.

Most of Franklin University's classes are offered online; in person classes are frequently only held at night. The bulk of the faculty is part-timers with little commitment and sometimes not much teaching ability. The financial aid office appears somewhat better in my experience than in that of a prior poster, but not truly competent. While I am told that Franklin University is a non-profit, the attitude is strictly corporate; they appear interested in taking in money as possible and giving out as little effort as possible for it.

I feel very much trapped here and wish I had attended Ohio State.

Last edited by foothillbilly; 08-11-2010 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: improve clarity

Old 08-21-2010, 02:53 PM

90 posts, read 328,445 times
Franklin has a pretty poor rep in Ohio. Just because they "grade" doesn't mean they have high (or even medium) standards. I wouldn't pay money for any members of my family to go there.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicePolishBoy View Post
Franklin has a pretty poor rep in Ohio. Just because they "grade" doesn't mean they have high (or even medium) standards. I wouldn't pay money for any members of my family to go there.
Please read what I posted. I never stated or implied that Franklin University has high or medium academic standards. Their 12% graduation rate has causes other than academic rigor.

I stated that they have graded classes (i.e., not automatic passing grades) and that they are duly accredited. Therefore, they do not meet the definition of a "diploma mill." A true diploma mill has a 100% graduation rate because nothing except payment is required to graduate. Incidentally, I am paying my own way, not paying for someone else or vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio