Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:23 AM

69 posts, read 191,706 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

It's been a busy week, talking to real estate brokers and all.

Still haven't found anything we want to put a bid in on, but we didn't think this was going to happen overnight and we aren't in any rush.

One thing that would be helpful, and maybe someone should pass this on to the local government, if the Youngstown map of the neighborhoods could be marked up so as to show which neighborhoods are desirable and which are in need of improvement, many of us would be quite thankful.

Another thing that we have noticed is the property tax on many of the homes make no sense at all.

Here is a specific example in Warren, which recently sold through HUD.

Originally, HUD was asking $12K for the house but it had a property tax bill of almost $3K/year! That's 25% of the house's value in property taxes every year!

Is anyone paying attention to what that is doing to the property owners?
Even better, anyone wonder why a $12K house was foreclosed on?

I'll keep you all posted, as time and progress allows, and thanks again everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmomma View Post
i have read this whole thread and WOW!! that was alot of info to take in lol!
i live in NY and my dad relocated to cortland about 2 years or so ago with my younger brother
and sister! i now have been considering for some time now.. well, my husband is now ready to go and
look for a job at the end of next month and is ready to up and move we have been looking at all kinds of houses and areas and kinda like Ken can put a hefty down payment if not in some aspects buy out right now we have two very young kids and will be staying for quite some time (til our kids graduate and we have one who will be going into preschool next year lol)
is there a thread or something that is already posted about the south side of youngstown??
and thank you all again for all the info! you guys are amazing for all your help!
By the way, NYmomma, there are all kinds of incentives for people like us to move into the area.

Warren has the WIN program. (warning pdf file)
Here is what Youngstown offers.

Couple that with the Federal program for first time home buyers ( as defined by not owning a home for three years) which provides 10% towards downpayment (capped at $7,500) and, depending on your specific circumstances, you can do pretty well.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:45 AM

One more fast question, how bad is Potomac near Rush?

I realize that this is near the "not so nice" area but I have been told that every location needs to be evaluated on a block by block basis.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenD View Post
Hey all,

It's been a busy week, talking to real estate brokers and all.

Still haven't found anything we want to put a bid in on, but we didn't think this was going to happen overnight and we aren't in any rush.
Hi Ken. It's a buyer's market, so I think you have plenty of time to find the perfect place for you and your family.

Quote:
One thing that would be helpful, and maybe someone should pass this on to the local government, if the Youngstown map of the neighborhoods could be marked up so as to show which neighborhoods are desirable and which are in need of improvement, many of us would be quite thankful.
Have you seen this map? Unfortunately, the worst neighborhoods are lumped with the decent neighborhoods like mine. So, if you're looking in a "transitional" neighborhood, I guess you'll still have to evaluate on a block by block basis. I would have shown you this map first, but I forgot about it.

Quote:
Another thing that we have noticed is the property tax on many of the homes make no sense at all.

Originally, HUD was asking $12K for the house but it had a property tax bill of almost $3K/year! That's 25% of the house's value in property taxes every year!

I think there are a couple issues on properties like that. First, it might not actually be in the city of Warren. It might be in a neighboring township. (Cortlandgirl would know better in this case.) Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the cities, more services (like police, fire, roads, etc.) are paid for with income taxes. So, property taxes are lower. But, outsde of the cities, those services are paid for with property taxes, so property taxes are higher.

Also, the value of the house you linked to, might have fluctuated greatly from its appraised value due to damage caused by neglect/vandalism by the previous owner or while sitting empty during the foreclosure process.

Here's an example in my neighborhood. (I wanted to buy this house to fix/restore, but couldn't at the time due to circumstances beyond my control.) This house was last purchased for only $8000. But, according to the Mahoning couty auditor's website, (Mahoning County, Ohio) the "market total value" is $42,000, and this appraisal is what the property taxes are based on.

According to the auditor's site, the house was purchased in early 2005 for $66,000. (I've been told that there was mortgage fraud involved here) The house was foreclosed on, and sold at sheriff's auction to a bank for $16,000. And, after it had been sitting empty without heat for 3 years, they finally sold it for $8000.

If you buy a house, and the "market total value" is higher than your purchase price, you can let the county auditor know and they may be able to lower your property taxes.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
One more fast question, how bad is Potomac near Rush?

I realize that this is near the "not so nice" area but I have been told that every location needs to be evaluated on a block by block basis.
This person hasn't posted in over 2 years, but maybe you could try to get in contact with him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-mayo-man View Post
I bought a property in July in Youngstown 44507. Potomac Avenue. It was a good investment, I have one apartment rented out and I now live in the other one, it is a duplex property. I spent $15,000 on renovations which included twoo new bathrooms and two new kitchens. but now it is like a new build apartment. and I can live rent free as the other guy pays me rent each month.

A word of advice though, always go and look at the property before you buy it, do not go by the photos. I looked at some really bad holes that looked pretty in the pictures. remember if someone is selling then they wont send you the picture of the hole in the floor or the half of the roof that blew off.

Other than common sense, go by your own instinct.

As for Youngstown, it is a quiet place to live, cities are not racist. People are.
And it is only a few sad individuals that are racist in any city. I am white Irish and my girlfriend is Eastern european and we have had no problems whatsoever.

Youngstown died a few years back but is now on the way up, there has been a lot of investment there and it is getting better.

If you aren't into drug dealing and mugging people then you will not get shot. Mix in the right circles and life is good.

The Police there are very friendly and the sherrifs department has an open door policy.

I would advise anyone to go and stay there for a couple of weeks and look around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-mayo-man View Post
Let me know if you want to buy a house in Youngstown, I can give you some good leads for free. I could also go and inspect property for you.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,274 times
Thanks for all the info!
i would not move in any way shape or
form id my husband didnt get a job first!
but, he is a mechanic so, its still a pretty
strong field!
i have also head about and open
enrollment?? looking more into that
for school. also my dad lives in corland
so i think i could put them in school there
for the right deal!
hoping to come out at the end of next month
(waiting for some of the snow and cold to pass)
keeping fingers crossed!
good luck ken. let us know what kinda deal you get!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:38 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Quote:

I'll keep you all posted, as time and progress allows, and thanks again everyone.
Ok, Ken, i have your answer on the Stetson Dr. house. First off, the property is in Howland Township. Howland, as you may know from reading my posts, is a very desirable place to live in the Mahoning Valley and they have good schools. If you see a property listed as Warren, but w/a 44484 zip code it's actually Howland Twp. It's also important for you to know that there are homes in that area that are worth way more than you would believe. If you look at a map of the property http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=16 you will see a road called Rolling Meadows that is located close by. Properties on this street sell in the $250k to $300k range. Homes on Stonecreek are in the $350k-$500k range. I think Stetson is an older street, but surrounded by very nice neighborhoods.

Next, property tax has a lot to do with the size of the lot. I believe this house sits on almost in acre of land, so that may have a lot to do with it. I looked up the taxes on the Trumbull County Auditor Website http://69.68.42.167:7036/bhaproperty..._asp/index.htm and it looks like there are almost $2300 in back taxes due on this property. Also, the total taxes charged per half is actually only $657.71, apparently the listing agent got it wrong. I would talk to a realtor to confirm this. BTW, land is pretty expensive in Howland and i believe the land itself is worth more than they are asking, the auditor's page says it's worth $25k. According the the auditor site this house last sold for $69k in November of 1999. It transferred to HUD in July of 2007, so it's probably been empty at least a year and a half.

My guess is that the place is not livable and in need of some serious repairs aka probably a major remodel. I think if the property is structurally sound and you can fix it up it would be a great buy.

BTW, just looked the house up on the Eaton site and it says it's contingent, which means someone has placed a bid on it.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
BTW, just looked the house up on the Eaton site and it says it's contingent, which means someone has placed a bid on it.
Incredibly, and this is extremely unusual for HUD who oftentimes sells houses at 33% to 50% off of their asking price, this home sold for $36K or three times its asking price.

HUD also provides a condition report that takes a little getting used to for the novice.

If you would like to peruse the HUD listings in Ohio, go here, and choose which counties to include in your search.

And for those of you that are really masochistic, here is a web site that provides links to all of the bank owned properties (REOs) owned by the largest mortgage companies - and it isn't pretty.

To give you an idea how bad the foreclosures are in this country, CountryWide has over 20,000 homes they would like to sell today - and that number does not include the number of homes that are negotiating short sales.

If anyone needs any help muddling through this maze, please ask and I will try to do what I can. After all, it's the least I can do to help repay what everyone has done for me here.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,178 times
Smile Austin town Youngstown living/schools

I was loking at a house on Bonair street in Youngstown. I believe its on the4 south side of Youngstown in trying to follow th the map.
Bottom line..My question is this for all and any taht can please help me. Is Bonair street in Youngstown) which is about 3 strrets from the Austintown line, a goood area/safe? I flew down there from Mass yesterday and it appeared to be a nice neighborhood. My concern is schoolong I have 8 year old twins and a 13 year old daughter.
I am a single mom, 3 children and income is a factor. Schools are a a major factor. I cannot afford private schools. My research turned up that Austintown schools are decent with girard schools being even better 9but I cant find a home i can afford in Girard). Youngstown schools are of a great concern after interviewing the school and the neighbors that send their own childtren to Youngstown schools. i have to say I ddid not get one word of positive feedback about youngstown schoools. My hope was the option of possibly being able to send them to Austin town schools.
My second question ; is there a open enrollment period. can you send children who live in youngstown to Austintown schools. is there a lottery ? or is just open enrollment on certain dates? Does anyone know if that enrollment period has closed for this fall?

Last edited by 9keb; 05-23-2010 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: spelling errors more questions

Old 05-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Bon Air is definitely "west side" and, as far as I know, is a good, safe area. Austintown does have open enrollment, but don't know about when you can enroll them, or if there is a specific time to do so. (I don't know if Girard has open enrollment.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio