Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:31 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times

Advertisements

Here in Lorian county if your a good citizen by voting, your also penalized at the same time.

What I mean is, I've just gotten back to work in January from being laid-off, and now I get a court summons for jury duty. I called them and told them about my employment status and I was told that the only way I could get out of it is by, 1) be a full time college student in day classes, 2) be an over the road truck driver in the lower 48 states, 3) Have pre-paid ticket for going on vacation. So basically thier saying that if I have money to go to school or on vacation anytime I want, they won't bother me. But, I'm trying to work hard and keep my bills paid and stay out of debt in these hard times, they want to screw with me and God forbid we don't have the money to pay our taxes so they can do this to us. Well, my wife and I have decided to qiut voting in the locals for the next four years. LORAIN county court systems can kiss my back-side over this one. And when they do get thier act together and start pull names from the drivers license, we will be voting "AGAINST" all levy's to include our local school. The little brats want to play sports, well thier mom and dads can pay for them to play, and that goes for the buses and the drivers to get them to the games, they can pay for that too. I'm sick and tired of busting my hump every day working and some idiot commits a crime and I get screwed for it.

And if you think that they are going off the drivers license system like all the other counties, well your "wrong". I asked them that question, and I was told "NO", Lorain county is still pulling from the voters registration

Man, I Hate This State And Everything About It. "Ohio, the heart of it all", ,well I have another body location in mind for that statement. And its right at the top of the legs and in back.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:52 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,777,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Here in Lorian county if your a good citizen by voting, your also penalized at the same time.

What I mean is, I've just gotten back to work in January from being laid-off, and now I get a court summons for jury duty. I called them and told them about my employment status and I was told that the only way I could get out of it is by, 1) be a full time college student in day classes, 2) be an over the road truck driver in the lower 48 states, 3) Have pre-paid ticket for going on vacation. So basically thier saying that if I have money to go to school or on vacation anytime I want, they won't bother me. But, I'm trying to work hard and keep my bills paid and stay out of debt in these hard times, they want to screw with me and God forbid we don't have the money to pay our taxes so they can do this to us. Well, my wife and I have decided to qiut voting in the locals for the next four years. LORAIN county court systems can kiss my back-side over this one. And when they do get thier act together and start pull names from the drivers license, we will be voting "AGAINST" all levy's to include our local school. The little brats want to play sports, well thier mom and dads can pay for them to play, and that goes for the buses and the drivers to get them to the games, they can pay for that too. I'm sick and tired of busting my hump every day working and some idiot commits a crime and I get screwed for it.

And if you think that they are going off the drivers license system like all the other counties, well your "wrong". I asked them that question, and I was told "NO", Lorain county is still pulling from the voters registration

Man, I Hate This State And Everything About It. "Ohio, the heart of it all", ,well I have another body location in mind for that statement. And its right at the top of the legs and in back.
Sorry you feel so strongly about this...I thought everyone was aware that when you register to vote, you are placed on the list for jury duty. So the timing is bad...the poor person you spoke to doesn't make the laws and therefore doesn't have the authority to change them. I hope you were at least repectful. It wasn't their fault at all. But something tells me that you weren't respectful at all.

That's too bad that you are going to not vote in local elections, or if you do, vote against everything and be so petty...you better go and unregister yourself, if that's possible.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
It's too bad you're employer chose not to be one of the many who pay its workers for doing their civic duty. You should ask why they don't.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:39 PM

Angry Pay me what I've lost from not being able to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
Sorry you feel so strongly about this...I thought everyone was aware that when you register to vote, you are placed on the list for jury duty. So the timing is bad...the poor person you spoke to doesn't make the laws and therefore doesn't have the authority to change them. I hope you were at least repectful. It wasn't their fault at all. But something tells me that you weren't respectful at all.

That's too bad that you are going to not vote in local elections, or if you do, vote against everything and be so petty...you better go and unregister yourself, if that's possible.
I was respectful to the lady and I know she is only doing her job. And all I want to do is my job. Lorain county needs to get on track with the other counties and start pulling names from the drivers license list. And I do understand that they pull the names from the voters reg. But this is three years in a row this has happened. They need to start hitting these lazy welfare moms and and people that don't want to work, to do these gabage. Not those who want to work and keep our bills paid and pay (only) our fare share of taxes.

As for the voting against all levys, well that goes for the firefighters, sheriffs dept "which we never see out here anyway", all local schools levys, street dept., MurryRidge levy and the Lorain county commissioner, all of them. They get to much money as it is and just blow it on stupid stuff. I want to see them shut the welfare system completly down and reopen the WPA, put a shovel in thier hands and get them off thier backs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
It's too bad you're employer chose not to be one of the many who pay its workers for doing their civic duty. You should ask why they don't.

My boss only needs to pay me when I work, why should he do anything else. If I don't work, he makes no money, if he makes no money, I make no money.
My employer goes out of his way to help out all of his employees, because he knows we'll bust our humps for him. The courts should be paying me equal to my pay each day to sit there and listen to them. The lawyers get paid top dallor to be there, why shouldn't we.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:25 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,940,745 times
My county pulls from the voter's list too. You get paid for jury duty. Granted it's not a whole lot, but you do get paid. Besides if they paid more you would be complaining that they take too much of your money to pay for jurors! It is your duty as an American citizen to vote and to serve jury duty. Also, your employer cannot prevent you from attending or fire you for doing jury duty.

BTW, my aunt works for Mahoning Co. job and family services and says you can only be on welfare for 3 years and they MAKE YOU WORK! Lord help you if you ever lose your job and need some kind of assistance.

I got summonsed for jury duty a couple of years ago and got out of it. They contacted me again last year and i was a full time student. Got out of it again. Then they contacted me this January and told me to call the Federal Court in Youngstown the 2nd week in Jan. Well, i called and they said they wouldn't need my services that week and to call back Feb. 9th. You're only obligated for 30 days time and once you are on one jury or the 30 days is up your done. I believe this also counts for a grand jury hearing, which i believe takes one day's time. You may not even have to show up.

I'm sorry you have bills to pay and things to do, but you never really have anything good to say on these boards. To say you're not going to vote for levy's like police, fire, streets, whatever, that's just plain ignorant. To not vote for thing because you got called for jury duty???? Give me a freakin' break!
Within a year's time you'll be back here b*tching that your road has potholes that aren't fixed, your house burned down because they don't have enough staff at the fire dept., and so on. I'm assuming your a grown up, so do you civic duty, get a grip, and suck it up.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
My county pulls from the voter's list too. You get paid for jury duty. Granted it's not a whole lot, but you do get paid. Besides if they paid more you would be complaining that they take too much of your money to pay for jurors! It is your duty as an American citizen to vote and to serve jury duty. Also, your employer cannot prevent you from attending or fire you for doing jury duty.

BTW, my aunt works for Mahoning Co. job and family services and says you can only be on welfare for 3 years and they MAKE YOU WORK! Lord help you if you ever lose your job and need some kind of assistance.

I got summonsed for jury duty a couple of years ago and got out of it. They contacted me again last year and i was a full time student. Got out of it again. Then they contacted me this January and told me to call the Federal Court in Youngstown the 2nd week in Jan. Well, i called and they said they wouldn't need my services that week and to call back Feb. 9th. You're only obligated for 30 days time and once you are on one jury or the 30 days is up your done. I believe this also counts for a grand jury hearing, which i believe takes one day's time. You may not even have to show up.

I'm sorry you have bills to pay and things to do, but you never really have anything good to say on these boards. To say you're not going to vote for levy's like police, fire, streets, whatever, that's just plain ignorant. To not vote for thing because you got called for jury duty???? Give me a freakin' break!
Within a year's time you'll be back here b*tching that your road has potholes that aren't fixed, your house burned down because they don't have enough staff at the fire dept., and so on. I'm assuming your a grown up, so do you civic duty, get a grip, and suck it up.
Well I'm sorry that I don't have the money to be a full time college student, I work for a living and I do help to fix the roads here in Ohio for you to drive on. I have been called in for jury duty this coming monday. And I feel that I have the right to complain. Sorry, My life isn't as perfect as yours, so I complain a little. the personal attack you just committed was uncalled for, (Flamer). If you don't like what I have to say, then keep your, as you put it "freakin" thoughts to yourself and move on, Thank you.

If you were paying attention, you would read the part where I said that I was laid-off and just got back to work. Maybe they should say "So What" if your a "Freakin" professional college student and yank them out of school to sit on jury duty. I see you got out of jury duty because of school.

And I do have a lot of good things to say on these boards, you just choose not to pay attention. I, like lots of other folks choose to say whats on my mind. Its called freedom of speach, I served for 21 yrs in the service, and I feel that give me the right.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,940,745 times
You also missed that i said i have to do jury duty next week. I'm not a professional student. I also got laid off from my job and had to go back to school. There are things called scholarships, grants, and financial aid that will help you pay for college if you can't afford it. You can even get one of these Federal Pell Grant Program

Old 02-07-2009, 11:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
I guess I'm just "old school" and believe in doing my civic duty (In all fairness, I've never been laid off or a full-time student, either) My other belief is that, if I were on trial, I'd truly want a jury of my peers. A real cross section of my community (hopefully with thinking skills...) The though of a jury composed only with those with "nothing else to do" bothers me more than a little...

Old 02-07-2009, 11:55 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I was respectful to the lady and I know she is only doing her job. And all I want to do is my job. Lorain county needs to get on track with the other counties and start pulling names from the drivers license list. And I do understand that they pull the names from the voters reg. But this is three years in a row this has happened. They need to start hitting these lazy welfare moms and and people that don't want to work, to do these gabage. Not those who want to work and keep our bills paid and pay (only) our fare share of taxes.
You are lucky it is in Lorain Co. On average, you will generally only miss a day or two at the courthouse.

Get called in Cuyahoga Co. and you report at 9 am and sit there until 5 pm for an ENTIRE week.

Sorry, but I can't get too worked up over it. I have had to do jury duty five or six times.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 AM

560 posts, read 2,077,808 times
I don't see what the big deal about jury duty is. I would actually enjoy being on a jury. However, if you don't want to, it's REALLY easy to get out of it.

Just show up for the first day during jury selection. When the lawyers ask you questions, make (truthful) comments that would indicate you are biased. They will strike you from the jury. It's not hard. Most people probably have inherent biases (especially racial, one way or another) that could get them struck from a jury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio