Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three cities/metro areas has the brightest future?
Cincinnati 55 30.90%
Columbus 59 33.15%
Cleveland 55 30.90%
Dunno 9 5.06%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Obviously my favorite is cleveland.. I still waiting to hear what people think columbus has over cleveland or for that matter Cincinnati that would make them choose columbus. 1.NHL 2. Ohio state 3.?
Because making a list of things will somehow settle the debate and convince everyone to shut up about this stuff? That's laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:56 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Comparison threads should be banned.
Why?

Comparison lists should help persons appreciate other destinations and create bucket lists.

Banning comparison lists smacks of the mentality of banning competition and giving every kid a trophy. It's a pathway to national mediocrity IMO.

Banning comparisons would foster the parochial views evident in this thread that proves that many Ohioans, even outspoken ones, know little about the rest of our state. E.g., it's shocking how few people in northeast Ohio have ever heard of The Wilds, let alone the vast AEP Recreation Lands, or Huffman Prairie Flying Field. Even the existence and excellence of the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force is relatively under appreciated.

E.g., look at the history of the Columbus Zoo. Don't you think its expansion was driven by a spirit of competition with other nearby zoos? IMO, the main Ohio zoos have done a wonderful job of complementing each other. I can't wait to visit the Toledo Zoo this spring to see the new aquarium. My favorite exhibit at the Columbus Zoo is the manatee exhibit.

The recent USA Today reader poll of U.S. zoos noted how remarkable it was to have four great zoos in a single state.

No recurring sporting event in Ohio, perhaps even in the country, tops a Buckeye Game Day in Columbus. It featues some of the best American rituals extant.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Because making a list of things will somehow settle the debate and convince everyone to shut up about this stuff? That's laughable.
I'm laughing that you think your excellent point is laughable.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 AM

Greater Cincinnati clearly has the best aquarium among Ohio metropolitan areas with the Newport Aquarium. I wasn't trying to detract from that fact with my comments about the Toledo Zoo aquarium.

However, reading about the Toledo Zoo aquarium, it appears to have maxed out the potential of a moderately sized aquarium with its planned exhibits. It sounds like a gem.

The Toledo Zoo draws heavily from the Detroit area, and this new aquarium will dwarf the small aquarium in Detroit.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:50 AM

152 posts, read 187,033 times
Quote:
I'll try to be good too. I've lambasted Columbus a time or two and won't again. There are parts of it that I admire and I wish nothing but the best for it.

Well, that lasted less than a week.
Have you ever seen the Ohio River after a big day of rain? I was trying to say "clear as mud" with a sense of humor. if you took this as offensive then I apologize. I'm still on board.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Why?

Comparison lists should help persons appreciate other destinations and create bucket lists.

Banning comparison lists smacks of the mentality of banning competition and giving every kid a trophy. It's a pathway to national mediocrity IMO.

Banning comparisons would foster the parochial views evident in this thread that proves that many Ohioans, even outspoken ones, know little about the rest of our state. E.g., it's shocking how few people in northeast Ohio have ever heard of The Wilds, let alone the vast AEP Recreation Lands, or Huffman Prairie Flying Field. Even the existence and excellence of the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force is relatively under appreciated.

E.g., look at the history of the Columbus Zoo. Don't you think its expansion was driven by a spirit of competition with other nearby zoos? IMO, the main Ohio zoos have done a wonderful job of complementing each other. I can't wait to visit the Toledo Zoo this spring to see the new aquarium. My favorite exhibit at the Columbus Zoo is the manatee exhibit.

The recent USA Today reader poll of U.S. zoos noted how remarkable it was to have four great zoos in a single state.

No recurring sporting event in Ohio, perhaps even in the country, tops a Buckeye Game Day in Columbus. It featues some of the best American rituals extant.
There is absolutely nothing healthy about the "competition" that goes on in these forums. It's a bunch of insecure people who want to feel superior to others by hiding behind their city's image. That's it. There is no deeper purpose to your trolling of how other cities suck that aren't Cleveland. Your token gestures now seem hollow after you spent so many posts basically saying no other city could compare in any way.

That's why these types of threads should be banned. They solve nothing and just create infighting. It's pathetic and it needs to end. Every single person can control their own behavior. The question is whether or not they will.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I'm laughing that you think your excellent point is laughable.
? Uh, I didn't think my point was laughable...

Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
Quote:
There is absolutely nothing healthy about the "competition" that goes on in these forums. It's a bunch of insecure people who want to feel superior to others by hiding behind their city's image. That's it. There is no deeper purpose to your trolling of how other cities suck that aren't Cleveland. Your token gestures now seem hollow after you spent so many posts basically saying no other city could compare in any way.

That's why these types of threads should be banned. They solve nothing and just create infighting. It's pathetic and it needs to end. Every single person can control their own behavior. The question is whether or not they will.
Of course this is your opinion.. Why do you assume posters are insecure or superior when they simply are expressing thoughts, experiences or views? Who are you to judge? Did you ever stop and think posters might get ammussed or find humor in some of the back and forth banter?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Of course this is your opinion.. Why do you assume posters are insecure or superior when they simply are expressing thoughts, experiences or views? Who are you to judge? Did you ever stop and think posters might get ammussed or find humor in some of the back and forth banter?
Again, I am not naïve enough to think that the people who most do the bashing and trolling would be the people who think there is something wrong with it. Big surprise you don't.

And no, I don't really see humor in it. I find it petty and mean-spirited.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:22 AM

417 posts, read 594,588 times
I think Cleveland is much more liberal than Columbus or Cincinnati. OSU is only one part of the city but the suburbs are much more conservative than the suburbs of Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio