Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support building of passenger rail in Ohio?
YES! Not only would I support this, but i would ride it! 95 71.97%
Yes. But I would never ride it. 3 2.27%
It doesn't affect me or any one I know. 12 9.09%
No. Blah. Terrible idea! 22 16.67%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Why in the world do people think businesses are going to locate in Ohio because we have a rail system?

And all this talk about people leaving because we don't have a train is nonsense. I doubt anyone makes a decision on what state to live in because of a rail system. Except for a few people in cities like Boston and new York where it is easier to not have a car.
I don't think its a matter of (having v not having) but more on the line that maybe Ohio could lead the way in progressive thinking in the technical world. IE, wind power, solar generators (although we are one of the most cloudy states in the country) and anything else that could help our environment like a rail system. Cleveland already has an inner city transit system that one can use to gain access to the down town area and relieve congestion on the already over burdened city streets. We need to work our way out of the fossil fuel grip that we're in and move ahead. My own home is heated and cooled with geothermal and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So by having and instate rail system we could finally ease up on the highway traffic, sit back and enjoy the scenery and let someone else do the driving other than Greyhound (which have gotten really nasty anymore). If the big three up in Michigan don't like all the money our state wants to save and the eased impact on our environment, then they can pound sand and we should all buy Toyota Priuses.

Ohio needs to start moving forward and quit sitting stagnant, or change our motto from "The Heart of it All" to (Who Gives a Damn Anyway?!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 04:03 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,636,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I don't think its a matter of (having v not having) but more on the line that maybe Ohio could lead the way in progressive thinking in the technical world. IE, wind power, solar generators (although we are one of the most cloudy states in the country) and anything else that could help our environment like a rail system. Cleveland already has an inner city transit system that one can use to gain access to the down town area and relieve congestion on the already over burdened city streets. We need to work our way out of the fossil fuel grip that we're in and move ahead. My own home is heated and cooled with geothermal and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So by having and instate rail system we could finally ease up on the highway traffic, sit back and enjoy the scenery and let someone else do the driving other than Greyhound (which have gotten really nasty anymore). If the big three up in Michigan don't like all the money our state wants to save and the eased impact on our environment, then they can pound sand and we should all buy Toyota Priuses.

Ohio needs to start moving forward and quit sitting stagnant, or change our motto from "The Heart of it All" to (Who Gives a Damn Anyway?!)
I like that... "Who Gives a Damn Anyway"

This state radiates that attitude.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
You're clueless at best.

Read UrbanOhio, you need to be informed.

3-C Corridor passenger rail project
Actually, I think you are clueless. I read Urban Ohio all the time. Never seen anyone on there say how rail is going to help companies locate to Ohio. Just wishful thinking.

What does have a passenger rail system do for a company that wants to locate in Cleveland? What advantage does a passanger train from Cleveland to Columbus have that I-71 doesn't?

Ohio cities are surburban. People are not going to ride this thing. No matter how much they say they will. Ohio cities are not Boston or New York and never will be. We should stop pretending like they are.

And if it is an economic booster why is it going thru Columbus and Cincinnati? Those areas are fine, relatively speaking. Toledo, Canton, Youngstown and Southeast Ohio are the areas that need help.

What gives the government the right to say **** you to Toledo and "help" areas that are already doing much better?

There would be 2 ways to make this a much better system.

1. If the City of Columbus, or anyone else, wants a rail system then they should build one.

2. A private comapny can build one. That way the people that use it can pay for the service. It would also likely be 2-4 times cheaper and provde better service if it were private.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:16 PM

285 posts, read 642,720 times
The idea of using local rail systems to ease congestion between urban cores and suburban areas is good. I'm currently going to college in Columbus and see a huge potential for light rail here. However, what I'm having trouble seeing is why we need rail for long distances between the 3 C's. I also agree that young professionals today love to get the full urban experience and have transportation options, such as the L in Chicago, but couldn't those things be built without creating a rail network between cities? To me, Amtrak is proof that we are going to end up subsidizing this thing and the tickets will be over priced.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post

I work in manufacturing. Do you have any idea how much energy will be used in the making of this thing? We could drive like we are for another 1000 years and not use that much energy.

And the problem with your theory is that people will not use it. Nobody uses Greyhound when it wasn't nasty. No reason to think people are going to use this rail system.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
The idea of using local rail systems to ease congestion between urban cores and suburban areas is good. I'm currently going to college in Columbus and see a huge potential for light rail here. However, what I'm having trouble seeing is why we need rail for long distances between the 3 C's. I also agree that young professionals today love to get the full urban experience and have transportation options, such as the L in Chicago, but couldn't those things be built without creating a rail network between cities? To me, Amtrak is proof that we are going to end up subsidizing this thing and the tickets will be over priced.
This is exactly what I think. A light rail system in Columbus, or whatever other area, might very well work.

For example, I lived in Westerville. Had there been a light rail there would have been times I would have used a rail to go downtown or out to Dublin or down to campus. I would never have used it to go to Cincy or Cleveland. Much simpler to drive.

I also lived in Toledo. I would never have used a rail there. You can be anywhere in the city in about 20 minutes.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post

No one is is anti-rail is answering my question. How the hell is Kasich going to bring jobs and companies here? Let's hear it! The guy is an idiot, and won't do anything. 5 months from now I can't wait to type on here... I told you so.
And you won't answer my question. How is a rail system going to bring jobs here?

You don't know so you call me names? LOLs. So mature, so mature.

P.S. I know where the route is going to run. Maybe if you would grow up and stop with the condescending remarks you would realize that.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
Looks like to me we have allot of "Stagnant Thinking" going on right here in this thread .

Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
You're getting somewhere, I am glad you at least see some of it. It is not about just linking our cities and building rail in them to just benefit the state. It is about linking Ohio to the other regions of the country via rail like EVERYONE else is doing. Yet again, Ohio falls behind the times.

Ohio is the most populated corridor without rail, and we are in the best position for it. Between Chicago and New York, within a short distance to over 60% of the nation's population.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
And you won't answer my question. How is a rail system going to bring jobs here?

You don't know so you call me names? LOLs. So mature, so mature.
Yet you are going to sit there and act like you know me? I will use lol, it is all over the internet and this site. Who cares? LOL .

Go troll somewhere else, buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio