Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support building of passenger rail in Ohio?
YES! Not only would I support this, but i would ride it! 95 71.97%
Yes. But I would never ride it. 3 2.27%
It doesn't affect me or any one I know. 12 9.09%
No. Blah. Terrible idea! 22 16.67%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:40 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,704,361 times

Advertisements

The lack of vision apparent in this recession will kill us. You need investment NOW for growth and jobs and progress LATER. And Ohioans profoundly lack vision. It all points to Ohio stagnating in the next 20 years as other regions leapfrog past us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 01:42 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times
So typical. One side loses, and it means that the state is doomed. The other side loses, and they say the same thing.

Ohio will be fine now that we've got a pro-business governor in office. The train plan was the wrong idea at the wrong time. The states that did accept the money have just shackled themselves to a ball and chain that they're never going to get rid of...

Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
So typical. One side loses, and it means that the state is doomed. The other side loses, and they say the same thing.

Ohio will be fine now that we've got a pro-business governor in office. The train plan was the wrong idea at the wrong time. The states that did accept the money have just shackled themselves to a ball and chain that they're never going to get rid of...
Just like the whole country did back in the 50's with the interstate highways.

I don't think the lack of rail travel will doom Ohio, but is a sign of things to come, unfortunately.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:36 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,905,905 times
Ohio is going to hurt from this. We continue to fall behind everyone else, and if Ohioans who are against this get out and travel and see what rail has done for other states, you will see why Ohio missed a huge oppurtunity here. Thanks, Kasich!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 PM

This talk of doom and gloom is ridiculous. Rail is not the future. I mean, unless I hit my head and we just rang in 1811 two days ago?

Kasich did the right thing in turning the albatross down. And he'll do a lot of other right things in the next four years that will get Ohio back on track. People are leaving this state because we're overtaxed and over-regulated. The rail project would have done nothing to address either of those issues and to increase private investment here.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:10 PM

69 posts, read 146,136 times
I'd love to see new passenger rail service within Ohio, but let's have some realistic expectations of the economic impact.

For instance, how much would we suffer if we removed the Amtrak routes already servicing Cincy, Toledo, and Cleveland? The answer should be instructive. Perhaps the $15m study examined that?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times
Quote:
This talk of doom and gloom is ridiculous. Rail is not the future. I mean, unless I hit my head and we just rang in 1811 two days ago?

Kasich did the right thing in turning the albatross down. And he'll do a lot of other right things in the next four years that will get Ohio back on track. People are leaving this state because we're overtaxed and over-regulated. The rail project would have done nothing to address either of those issues and to increase private investment here.
If not rail, what will our alternate forms of transportation be? Or, do we just continue to live in the 1950's and throw all of our money at car-centric infrastructure?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:06 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,905,905 times
Quote:

Oh very easy to say that now, but let's see how bad it gets in the years to come. Ohio is falling behind the times, and of course you won't feel any immediate impact. Of course you aren't going to see the impact at the snap of a finger, but years down the road, Ohio will hurt from this.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,704,361 times
^ Truth.

The people against the rail funding will make smart@ssed comments about not seeing immediate economic apocalypse.

Falling behind is an incremental, gradual process and Ohio has gotten superbly talented at doing it on a methodical basis since about 1975 and you can't point to one phenomenon that "caused" it. Stagnation is a cultural effect, it becomes rooted in an area's identity, and we're there.

It's not an immediate phenomenon. Some company decides to relocate in state X or Y instead of Ohio because the infrastructure is better elsewhere and they see better accessibility and access to workers. That process plays out over weeks, months, years. In time Ohio bleeds jobs and opportunity but there is never a single event that you can identify.

That's why I said that rail is a speculation - a long term business investment - on the part of government. Just as tea baggers preach about individual initiative to invest somewhat blindly in business, there are types of infrastructure that it only makes sense for government to invest in, and the payoff to the government is an increased tax base over years or decades.

This is a large scale version of the penny pinching business owner who drives the company out of business by hassling everyone about the staples and office copies they use and who refuses to spend money to modernize. It seems to make survival sense to conservatively save short term funds but it can kill you when the money leverages jobs and growth indirectly.

You get obsessed with mere survival and as a result you don't build anything for the future. That characterizes Ohio to a "T".

Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 PM

We don't need an alternate form of transportation, just a renewable fuel source. Trains are not the future.

I'd love to hear what kind of of private investment would come to Ohio with the 3-C corridor? Let's not talk pie-in-the-sky, but realistic. It's just not reality...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio