Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support building of passenger rail in Ohio?
YES! Not only would I support this, but i would ride it! 95 71.97%
Yes. But I would never ride it. 3 2.27%
It doesn't affect me or any one I know. 12 9.09%
No. Blah. Terrible idea! 22 16.67%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,636,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
This is what is so frustrating to me--someone who doesn't have a driver's license. In the overall scheme of things, no one is suggesting that we spend "vast sums" of money on public transportation. The annual projected subsidy for the 3C ($17 million, I think) would have been like a drop in the bucket, compared to what we spend on roads every year.
But most people do not realize this. People fail to look into how much it actually costs to keep our roads in good shape. And not to say they are all in good shape either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
Quote:
This is what is so frustrating to me--someone who doesn't have a driver's license. In the overall scheme of things, no one is suggesting that we spend "vast sums" of money on public transportation. The annual projected subsidy for the 3C ($17 million, I think) would have been like a drop in the bucket, compared to what we spend on roads every year.
Unfortunately, our highway infrastructure covers all of Ohio, where the 3-C connector would serve a VERY limited area. We've got to keep up our investment in the highways, since that's the way we move goods and people in the largest quantity at the lowest cost.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,181,084 times
Actually, rail is about the cheapest way to move just about anything over land.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 41,539 times
No one rides trains. Everyone says they want them, but no one rides them and the taxpayers are left to support them. There isn't even enough ridership to support the rapid transit system or the public buses that we already have. How ridiculous is it to build this high speed rail? Think about what you are asking for.

The cost of riding a public bus or the rapid transit is offset by tax dollars, so we are currently paying to support a mode of transportation that most people don't ever use. High speed rail will only be different in the fact that it will be more expensive to maintain and will require more taxpayer support. If public transportation cannot be self supporting by the people who use it, how is it right to ask people who do not use it and do not benefit from it to chip in to pay for the few who do?

In addition to being unprofitable, rail is the MOST dangerous mode of transportation. Does anyone believe that creating a high speed rail will make it safer?

It would be nice if individuals would consider and do what benefits the community rather than community doing things to benefit individuals.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 41,539 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillytoCincy View Post
But most people do not realize this. People fail to look into how much it actually costs to keep our roads in good shape. And not to say they are all in good shape either...
The difference is that the roads are paid for by the people who use them. Gasoline tax is used to maintain roads. It can be considered a user tax since it is assumed that if you are buying quantities of gasoline, you are using the roads. This is a fair tax as those who benefit are the same ones paying for it.

Public transportation subsidies come out of forced taxation from non-users of the system. Sound fair? Not to me.

Last edited by BereaGirl; 07-23-2011 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: added quote

Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereaGirl View Post
No one rides trains. Everyone says they want them, but no one rides them and the taxpayers are left to support them. There isn't even enough ridership to support the rapid transit system or the public buses that we already have. How ridiculous is it to build this high speed rail? Think about what you are asking for.

The cost of riding a public bus or the rapid transit is offset by tax dollars, so we are currently paying to support a mode of transportation that most people don't ever use. High speed rail will only be different in the fact that it will be more expensive to maintain and will require more taxpayer support. If public transportation cannot be self supporting by the people who use it, how is it right to ask people who do not use it and do not benefit from it to chip in to pay for the few who do?

In addition to being unprofitable, rail is the MOST dangerous mode of transportation. Does anyone believe that creating a high speed rail will make it safer?

It would be nice if individuals would consider and do what benefits the community rather than community doing things to benefit individuals.
Rail is profitable in the Northeast and just as safe as Planes...its also the safest ground transportation mode..... Cars are the most dangerous , but only in North America where we have laxed rules... Europe has some of the safest roads...

Old 07-23-2011, 04:33 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
Quote:
The difference is that the roads are paid for by the people who use them. Gasoline tax is used to maintain roads. It can be considered a user tax since it is assumed that if you are buying quantities of gasoline, you are using the roads. This is a fair tax as those who benefit are the same ones paying for it.

Public transportation subsidies come out of forced taxation from non-users of the system. Sound fair? Not to me.
The gas tax doesn't come close to paying the full cost of roads and highways. Local roads are paid for with property taxes. (and I'm generally OK with that, as local roads really are a benefit to everyone) According to the American Conservative, user fees (which include the gas tax) only pay for 51.72% of highway costs. Center for Public Transportation

Old 07-24-2011, 02:22 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,817 times
Quote:
Sorry, but JR_C is absolutely right.

By the way, all taxation is "forced". Remember, you have to pay taxes or else the government will throw you in a cage. Force is the very nature of any government.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:51 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,108,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I hope I'm not sounding like a broken record but... I LOVE mass transit! I'd definitely ride a bus/train/tram to work if I could. But what bothers me is that not enough of us 'Mericans are willing to give up the privacy & convenience of our cars. And, I hate to say it, riding public transportation can be an, um, social experience that some wouldn't risk for anything. So, until we can change the mindset of a LOT more potential riders, I think spending vast sums on public transport of any sort beyond road infrastucture is way down the list of current priorities. Sorry...
As much as I hate to say it, you're right. It's an American problem... The fear of your fellow man.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:59 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,906,552 times
Quote:

Have you seen the roads in Michigan? If the gasoline tax is paying for the roads in such high demand, what the hell is Michigan doing with that money?

If Ohio was given more money, say a billion to build its train and Kasich turned it away, I would think he is the biggest idiot in politics (already do, but that's not the case). Ohio, the most densely populated corridor in the nation without rail, we need more than some $400 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio