Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support building of passenger rail in Ohio?
YES! Not only would I support this, but i would ride it! 95 71.97%
Yes. But I would never ride it. 3 2.27%
It doesn't affect me or any one I know. 12 9.09%
No. Blah. Terrible idea! 22 16.67%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:43 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Here is your link to jobs, maybe you should read all my posts instead of what you want. These are rail jobs, and can you imagine the spin-off jobs. I am not dodging your questions, so don't dodge mine.

Now how is Kasich going to bring jobs to Ohio? All this guy has been concerned about is the 3C. We already know it is dead because this is Ohio, the most backwards thinking state when it comes to progressive thinking in the nation. I am over the 3C, I want to know how this guy is going to bring JOBS, JOBS, JOBS....
I read that link. It's nothing more than opinion. Sure we are going to lose some rail jobs. But so what? If nobody is going to ride it then why should we pay people to build it in the first place?

Creating a job of no value does nothing for the economy. It just shuffles money around.

And you still didn't answer my question. How is the 3C rail going to encourage companies to locate in Ohio? Maybe I should have said non-rail companies?

I didn't vote for Kasich. Have no idea what his plan is to get jobs here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, he didn't kill. Then who did? Were you in a coma for the last couple of months? Just in case, let me inform you. Kasich was elected Governor of Ohio, pretty much called this project "dead." Ohio lost its money, it went to other much more progressive states. Kasich most certainly did kill it. Come on, if you want to make your points, don't come up with something like that.... wait for it.... LOL.
He killed the 3C. He didn't kill the plan for a rail from NYC to Chicago, which has to go through Ohio.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:46 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I read that link. It's nothing more than opinion. Sure we are going to lose some rail jobs. But so what? If nobody is going to ride it then why should we pay people to build it in the first place?

Creating a job of no value does nothing for the economy. It just shuffles money around.

And you still didn't answer my question. How is the 3C rail going to encourage companies to locate in Ohio? Maybe I should have said non-rail companies?

I didn't vote for Kasich. Have no idea what his plan is to get jobs here.
I did answer your question, go back and READ. You asked for jobs, I gave you a link. It is nothing more than an opinion? That is all you have been giving.

It will not only create rail jobs, but there will be many more spinoffs from it? Where have you lived in your life? I am from Philly, I lived around rail first hand. I have seen its benefits. I travel for my job. I am in Boise, Idaho right now. I head to Portland tommorow. Yet again, another city that has benefited immensely from rail.

So the whole time you didn't have an answer?! Come on, you could have at least tried.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
He killed the 3C. He didn't kill the plan for a rail from NYC to Chicago, which has to go through Ohio.
And wasn't the whole Kasich talk about the 3C? Because last I checked it was.

Do you have the UrbanOhio link to the northern Ohio rail? I am really interested now.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Ok, well if you have that link, I would appreciate it. I will continue this discussion tommorow, but I am getting ready to go out to dinner, and get packed for Portland.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I did answer your question, go back and READ. You asked for jobs, I gave you a link. It is nothing more than an opinion? That is all you have been giving.

It will not only create rail jobs, but there will be many more spinoffs from it? Where have you lived in your life? I am from Philly, I lived around rail first hand. I have seen its benefits. I travel for my job. I am in Boise, Idaho right now. I head to Portland tommorow. Yet again, another city that has benefited immensely from rail.

So the whole time you didn't have an answer?! Come on, you could have at least tried.
All you are giving is opinion also. I've been around rail. Sure there might be a few spin off jobs. There is always vendors around those places selling trinkets. And you gotta someone to collect tickets.

All that link in the Dispatch says is it will create rail jobs. What Ohio company is capable of building trains? And would they even get the contract? And building something just to build it doesn't improve the economy. FDR tried it in the 30s. You have to build something of value. Not enough people in Ohio are going to use a passenger train to justify the expense.

I've lived all around Ohio. People here will not ride a rail system in significant numbers. And not having a passenger rail system will not force people out.

It's not like some manufacturing company in Cleveland is going to pack up and leave move to Portland because they can't get to Columbus on the weekend via train.

I had an answer. I said I have no idea how Kasich is going to create jobs. I doubt he can. Politicians don't create jobs. But he can't be any worse than Strickland was.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:08 PM

285 posts, read 642,189 times
Do you have any info for the rail from NYC to Chicago? Just curious because Amtrak runs from NYC to Chicago, which is why I am skeptical of the 3C rail project. You can take a train from Cleveland to most major cities (New York, DC, Boston, Chicago, Philly, West Coast) already and have been able to for years. And for the earlier post about North Carolina, New Mexico and Oregon having trains and Ohio not having trains, what they have is Amtrak. Ohio has Amtrak running through the Northern part of the state AND the southern part of the state, passing through Cincinnati, so we really aren't behind NC and NM imo.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
And wasn't the whole Kasich talk about the 3C? Because last I checked it was.

Do you have the UrbanOhio link to the northern Ohio rail? I am really interested now.
It's on the 3C discussion thread. The thing is about 130 pages now. Guy had a link on there for a plan by the feds to build a passenger rail form NYC to Chicago, with stops in Cleveland, Toledo and Ft Wayne.

Kasich can't kill it and that, is successful, it will eventually connect to Columbus, Akron, Canton. Youngstown, Dayton and Cincinnati.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
It's on the 3C discussion thread. The thing is about 130 pages now. Guy had a link on there for a plan by the feds to build a passenger rail form NYC to Chicago, with stops in Cleveland, Toledo and Ft Wayne.
We already have this. We have had passenger rail in these two cities for years! It isn't successful and that is why we have never connected the other cities you mentioned.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 PM

Good article you posted Beavercreek33, it actually persuaded me to the other side of this issue. Putting the $17 million in perspective as 12 cents a month per person makes it seem pretty rediculous not to except the money. Also was not aware that much of the money would go towards improving freight. I'm not sure what the drive is like between Columbus and Cleveland, but if is anywhere near as dull as the drive from Columbus to Toledo it would be pretty nice to be able to sit on my laptop or read a book for 2 1/2 hours rather than gulp down coffee to keep myself awake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio