Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support building of passenger rail in Ohio?
YES! Not only would I support this, but i would ride it! 95 71.97%
Yes. But I would never ride it. 3 2.27%
It doesn't affect me or any one I know. 12 9.09%
No. Blah. Terrible idea! 22 16.67%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:42 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,378,869 times

Advertisements

to have a high speed inter city rail system work it has to be on separate tracks from freight , and a reason for people to travel,I dont see much more traveling for the Cleveland to Columbus route other than Saturday in the fall for Ohio state football games. it cant stop at every little burg along the way or the high speed goes out the window.
I believe a rail linking Akron, Canton Youngstown,Warren,and Cleveland would work for commuting purposes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 11:03 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,636,009 times
Ohio just may be the dumbest state out there. Now all the newspapers that were backing Kasich, now see how idiotic this guy is, now see the light and the benefits the 3C would have brought.

Killing train kills private projects | Columbus Dispatch Politics (http://dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/01/01/copy/killing-train-kills-private-projects.html?adsec=politics&sid=101 - broken link)

Old 01-01-2011, 11:29 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Ohio just may be the dumbest state out there. Now all the newspapers that were backing Kasich, now see how idiotic this guy is, now see the light and the benefits the 3C would have brought.

Killing train kills private projects | Columbus Dispatch Politics (http://dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/01/01/copy/killing-train-kills-private-projects.html?adsec=politics&sid=101 - broken link)
Well considering the fact that they voted a smoking ban even in commercial trucks (I'm a non-smoker) and passed a concealed gun law (but you can't pack it hardly anywhere), Welfare is off the charts. I'd say (yes) Ohio is one of the dumbest states.
I'm thinking of taking the Ohio flag and putting a crossed (Sickle and Hammer) in the red circle, with the words "People Republic of Communist Ohio" in the white ring.

They kill everything that's good and pass all the stupid stuff. What's next? Only having sex on saturday, at home, at night, missionary style, no moaning and not within 200 yards of your nearest neighbors?

Old 01-01-2011, 12:14 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
Good article you posted Beavercreek33, it actually persuaded me to the other side of this issue. Putting the $17 million in perspective as 12 cents a month per person makes it seem pretty rediculous not to except the money. Also was not aware that much of the money would go towards improving freight. I'm not sure what the drive is like between Columbus and Cleveland, but if is anywhere near as dull as the drive from Columbus to Toledo it would be pretty nice to be able to sit on my laptop or read a book for 2 1/2 hours rather than gulp down coffee to keep myself awake.
No one is going to ride this thing so it is a total waste of money. No matter how little it is projected to cost. Remember those are projections. They are always way off. It will cost much much more than that.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:35 PM

285 posts, read 642,720 times
The article from the dispatch said that there would be 3 billion in private investment! I think the taxes from those projects would have paid for rail even if it cost a great deal more.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
My state poured around 20 billion into Rail / Bus projects this past decade and about an estimated 30 billion came out in the format of TOD. I believe the Hudson Bergen Light Rail system accelerated and added about 15 billion over the past 10 years in Developments. Even Fixing up a station creates TOD , at least 10 towns have that going on.....so your state missed the boat and badly. But hopefully later this decade it can catch up to other states...

Old 01-01-2011, 02:38 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
My state poured around 20 billion into Rail / Bus projects this past decade and about an estimated 30 billion came out in the format of TOD. I believe the Hudson Bergen Light Rail system accelerated and added about 15 billion over the past 10 years in Developments. Even Fixing up a station creates TOD , at least 10 towns have that going on.....so your state missed the boat and badly. But hopefully later this decade it can catch up to other states...
Heck! Our state is so far behind, it didn't even make it to the dock to try and get onto the boat.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:54 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,704,641 times
The Joisey guy is right. You just can't forsee what the economic impact of large scale development projects will be.

Example: Tennessee Valley Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This project was killed in Ohio solely because of narrow, short term, Tea Party flavored partisan interests.

The fact is that light rail is a speculation. The return is definitely not assured. Just as purchasing a stock or an interest in a startup business is a speculation. The feds are apparently betting that the federal and matching state investments will create a climate that encourages private investment.

The Obama administration may be completely wrong about light rail. THEY MAY BE RIGHT. The latter possibility has been trounced utterly by the partisan right wing media machine. It's only an expense in their eyes. That is short sighted and stupid.

The fact is also that most massive public works projects in the history of the US that have produced great economic returns and social advances were derided as pork barrel spending at the time. The TVA, Hoover Dam, etc.

Personally, I think Ohio will be the poorer in several dimensions in the next 10 years for this particular decision, especially in view of the instability of crude oil prices and the increasing likelihood of conflict with Iran. Another oil embargo would paralyze Ohio. States and regions with light rail would keep functioning.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Well the Northeastern states have committed to about 18,211 miles of restored Regional Rail / Intercity Rail. About 3576 miles is electrified Railway and 4,050 is intercity railway. It will be done by 2050 as a whole , about 600 miles is private freight companies getting back in the passenger game. So if we can do it , then theres no reason you can't do it. Every NE city should have a rail connection within 30 years ....and some smaller cities should have streetcars. What Ohio was getting was Intercity Rail , which is an Interstate type Railway and connects cities and small towns. Light Rail connects dense suburbs with the core of the city or the outer edges of a city. The Northeastern states are committing to about 1640 miles of that...but that keeps growing. As for streetcars that is growing as well. The Grow off these projects should not only pull the NE economy up , but the Nation. Think of what could happen if Ohio did something like this?

Last edited by DarkWolf; 01-01-2011 at 06:10 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 05:15 PM

285 posts, read 642,720 times
Is there any way that Ohioans could override Kasich's decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio