Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:48 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPDAWG11 View Post
Pot is an evil drug. The kids just need a lot of prayer and doctering.
I found this hilarious, until I got to thinking that you might be serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
If I needed medicinal pot, I'd find it, legal or not.

Don't get me started on that idiotic Mary Fallin and her stand against vaping.

As far as the thread question, I came to OK something like 22 years ago to care for a dying friend. He died a year later and I stayed because I like it.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
...I stayed because I like it.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you live before you came to OK?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm pretty impressed that Brad Pitt and Ron Howard are from Oklahoma. Compared to much more populated Pennsylvania, Oklahoma has quite a few powerhouses on that list. Forgive me for saying, I suspect the desire to escape Oklahoma might have contributed to the state's contribution to the famous people list. Though you love Oklahoma. Admit it. You know it's true.
Ron Howard absolutely. Brad Pitt nope; Missouri and Hollywood can keep him.

As for your other assertion, you're clearly not from here as the vast majority of born&bred Okies love it here and want to stay here. I was gone for almost twenty years living in every other major region of the U.S. sans the Midwest. Oklahoma's got 'em all beat in my mind. Great people great place great life....that's the Great STATE of Oklahoma to me.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Ron Howard absolutely. Brad Pitt nope; Missouri and Hollywood can keep him.

As for your other assertion, you're clearly not from here as the vast majority of born&bred Okies love it here and want to stay here. I was gone for almost twenty years living in every other major region of the U.S. sans the Midwest. Oklahoma's got 'em all beat in my mind. Great people great place great life....that's the Great STATE of Oklahoma to me.
B&C, I have a feeling that you and I might differ completely on a lot of subjects ranging from politics to religion to which type of music is best (Country or Western ) but I really enjoy your posts, nearly always agree with them, and appreciate your humor and thoughtfulness.

You are, to me, representative of what is great about so many Oklahomans. We wouldn't let a disagreement over something as trivial as politics or religion prevent a good time or a friendship, and we know when not to take things too seriously.

Incidentally, I was related by marriage to Ron Howard for a time. My father's aunt was married to Ron Howard's uncle (or maybe great uncle.) She had pictures of him in her living room in Del City that were taken right in her home. I never got to meet him but I admire his work.

As for the last paragraph of yours I quoted, I have to say that even though I had a good childhood during the years I came up in Oklahoma (I lived in a few other states even when I was growing up) and always had great friends and had a lot of fun here all around the state (sometimes too much) I spent a lot of time complaining and champing at the bit to get out of Oklahoma.

I thought it was too provincial. I thought it was backwards. I thought it was mostly ugly. I hated the weather most of the year. I thought the "real world" and everything exciting and happening was happening somewhere else. In some idealized version of some great city or other area. Gripe, gripe, gripe. I did a lot of it.

While I am glad I have been able, both as a kid and as an adult, to do a lot of traveling and spend time living in many other states and regions of the country, it took me being far from Oklahoma and took a lot of years growing up to come to appreciate much of what I now love and acknowledge is great about our state.

My family and I are so glad to be back. I cannot say that 20 years from now we might not choose to retire somewhere else, or move just because we seem to have the "gypsy wanderlust" gene, but I imagine us being here for as far as I can see into the future, and I could live here happily for the rest of my days.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:32 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
B&C, I have a feeling that you and I might differ completely on a lot of subjects ranging from politics to religion to which type of music is best (Country or Western ) but I really enjoy your posts, nearly always agree with them, and appreciate your humor and thoughtfulness.

You are, to me, representative of what is great about so many Oklahomans. We wouldn't let a disagreement over something as trivial as politics or religion prevent a good time or a friendship, and we know when not to take things too seriously.

Incidentally, I was related by marriage to Ron Howard for a time. My father's aunt was married to Ron Howard's uncle (or maybe great uncle.) She had pictures of him in her living room in Del City that were taken right in her home. I never got to meet him but I admire his work.

As for the last paragraph of yours I quoted, I have to say that even though I had a good childhood during the years I came up in Oklahoma (I lived in a few other states even when I was growing up) and always had great friends and had a lot of fun here all around the state (sometimes too much) I spent a lot of time complaining and champing at the bit to get out of Oklahoma.

I thought it was too provincial. I thought it was backwards. I thought it was mostly ugly. I hated the weather most of the year. I thought the "real world" and everything exciting and happening was happening somewhere else. In some idealized version of some great city or other area. Gripe, gripe, gripe. I did a lot of it.

While I am glad I have been able, both as a kid and as an adult, to do a lot of traveling and spend time living in many other states and regions of the country, it took me being far from Oklahoma and took a lot of years growing up to come to appreciate much of what I now love and acknowledge is great about our state.

My family and I are so glad to be back. I cannot say that 20 years from now we might not choose to retire somewhere else, or move just because we seem to have the "gypsy wanderlust" gene, but I imagine us being here for as far as I can see into the future, and I could live here happily for the rest of my days.
Griffis,

You mean to tell me there's other music out there other than Country&Western?! (*15 Merle Haggard songs just simultaneously started playing inside my head*)

As to your very insightful text which I put in bold....I say "Amen!" 100x over my Friend. That's the kind of thinking that makes Oklahoma so special. We have people who can still "agree to disagree" and still be brothers/friends at the end of the day that will do anything to help and serve another person. To me, that is the quintessential Okie Way; and, it is unique.

Also, like you, I didn't appreciate all that Oklahoma had to offer until I left for many years and then realized what a great culture and people we have in Oklahoma. I feel so blessed to be back to take care of my elderly parents and see ol' friends/family often. That's what it's all about!

I'm thinking you should see if you're entitled any royalty money for all of those Ron Howard's films. I can hear the conversation now as you call in to Howard's Hollywood office: "Well I am Ron's fifth cousin twice removed on my father's side by marriage."

You never know, it may be worth a shot. If it works, you owe me though.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,161 times
Could the majority of us afford to move away if we wanted to? And please name one thing in Oklahoma that isn't taxed!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:45 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie71 View Post
Could the majority of us afford to move away if we wanted to? And please name one thing in Oklahoma that isn't taxed!
Marijuana is not taxed.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 PM

Honestly, we have enough noise pollution and taxes already. If the city itself was so appealing, then why does it seem that everyone who can afford to move outward, is? Unless you are republican, interested in college sports ,clubs, or the weather, there isn't much to draw you in. I have lived in and visited other cities that are more attractive. Oklahoma has strong roots and family values. I would say that is what keeps most of its people here.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 PM

That isn't even legal here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City