Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:53 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,976 times

Advertisements

the problem with places that have more to offer is, one, we couldn't afford them, and two, too much traffic. if i could afford them i would want to be rich enough to have a chauffeur. ha.

a church that would be like a family would be nice. i had that once in my life, got kicked out and shunned. there is a lot to say for a church that isn't like family because of that reason.

my dh and i spent a lot of time talking about where we wanted to live if we were rich, and we still haven't figured it out. we traveled from ca to florida and stopped to live in mississippi, florida, and texas and then all over texas, and then back to ca. i prefer it here. and so if we were rich, we would still not know where we really wanted to live. too cold up north, too much desert in the southwest, too racist and humid in the south. hawaii is too hot and humid; oregon too much rain. calif. too crowded.

maybe if we were really rich we would live overseas and start looking for the perfect place again. ha.

there was a small town outside of mcalester that we loved, north east, stigler. we loved it. but then again, you are way out in the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:31 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,346,029 times
Stigler is nice. Close to the lake which would be great. Oklahoma is not bad I am giving you the bad side because I wanted to make sure the poster knows what the bad is. I live quite a way from McAlester but use McAlester for postal service, food etc.. I've been to Stigler a lot and almost bought in that town.

Now for honestly, I pretty well have liked everywhere I've lived except California. Grew up there and couldn't wait to get out and have always been glad I had. I am not a subdivision person and basically that what CA is with the amount of people there. All my relatives still live there so I do visit.

I lived In IL twice, Utah, Kentucky, Wis and Germany twice and then my husband took a permanent type position here so our girls could call a place home. Cheap, this is the cheapest place or should I say COST OF LIVING we lived. Property taxes are to me incredibly low. My favorite place was IL because I love diary farmers more than cattle farmers. Which is funny because I raise Angus X myself.

Most of my best friends whom I have lots of contact with are still in other States. That is all I am saying.

IF YOU WANT LAND AT A REASONALE PRICE this is the place to be but remember what we said this place has snakes (have had copper heads in my house), bugs you can't identify and ticks with added plus of chiggers. You will medicate your dogs monthly and if you don't they will come down with tick fever. I have one dog that had and I feel so bad because he has a permanet limp from it and it was my fought.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:40 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,550,583 times
Critters! I had a mouse staring at me while I cooked once. Just sat there staring at me, like it was waiting for supper.

Last summer I found two feet of dead snake skin in our tv room. No wonder the mice have gone away.

The good is we don't have to talk to anyone if we don't want to, except the people at our world's smallest walmart. Everyone is real friendly and I enjoy talking to them.

We go to the tiniest church in Wewoka, and all races are represented because it is a catholic church. I like that too. No one in town has ever asked me what church I go to... Guess I don't look like church type people.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:12 PM

533 posts, read 1,712,126 times
Well I am really lucky because I live in Oklahoma City but my wife's family still has the old farm that's actually in the city limits. I go out there twice a day to feed the horses. When they see me drive in they each go to their own trough. I have a Gator I use to put out the hay for them. We use the small bales out of Bermuda grass.

There is just nothing in the world better than driving the Gator out in the middle of the pasture. Even if it is really cold or really hot I always think how lucky I am to be able just to be out there like that in open space.

Or I can still drive the Gator down near the creek into trees so thick that when you're down there you cannot see one single thing that is man made.

I know eventually I won't get to enjoy it but I am relishing it while I have the opportunity.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:33 PM

73 posts, read 198,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
thanks. naturopathic doctors give it to people to get rid of worms. wonder if it works for heartworms. i just spent $150 on medicine for my cat and dog for the next 4 months or so.

of course you can pick up black walnuts here and grind your own. ha.
This looked interesting so I Googled; black walnut powder for animals. Buck Mountain Botanicals mentioned some success in Heartworm treatment by vets so that could be looked into. It did warn it is contraindicated during pregnancy and to avoid use on horses. Hope that is helpful for someone.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:54 PM

73 posts, read 198,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Critters! I had a mouse staring at me while I cooked once. Just sat there staring at me, like it was waiting for supper.

Last summer I found two feet of dead snake skin in our tv room. No wonder the mice have gone away.

The good is we don't have to talk to anyone if we don't want to, except the people at our world's smallest walmart. Everyone is real friendly and I enjoy talking to them.

We go to the tiniest church in Wewoka, and all races are represented because it is a catholic church. I like that too. No one in town has ever asked me what church I go to... Guess I don't look like church type people.
Had a city mouse in the kitchen a couple of days ago.. sad but I think my cat Guy Kitty must have been playing with it. I'm respectful of all animals and like most, exception being mosquitoes, chiggers and mean spirited folk.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 PM

I have a Bush Hog and I just fed the cows with. I love getting on that Hog and taking a long drive over my property. So I know how you feel about your Gator.

There is just nothing in the world better than driving the Gator out in the middle of the pasture. Even if it is really cold or really hot I always think how lucky I am to be able just to be out there like that in open space.

Or I can still drive the Gator down near the creek into trees so thick that when you're down there you cannot see one single thing that is man made.

I know eventually I won't get to enjoy it but I am relishing it while I have the opportunity.[/quote]

Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy2 View Post
This looked interesting so I Googled; black walnut powder for animals. Buck Mountain Botanicals mentioned some success in Heartworm treatment by vets so that could be looked into. It did warn it is contraindicated during pregnancy and to avoid use on horses. Hope that is helpful for someone.
thanks.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy2 View Post
Had a city mouse in the kitchen a couple of days ago.. sad but I think my cat Guy Kitty must have been playing with it. I'm respectful of all animals and like most, exception being mosquitoes, chiggers and mean spirited folk.
that was funny, and i am too. i just try to stay away from mean spirited folk, but i get rid of chiggers and ticks. can't see a chigger to even kill one.

Redbird,

and where is the snake that shed his skin?

we could easily see living in stigler. the problem is that there are no big cities near there and not sure how far it is to muskogee. i prefer dairy farming too.

i am not sure if i mentioned that all my best friends are in other states too, and i miss them.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:15 PM

I kind of want to make myself clear. I gave all the bad with Okie land but I love living rural and wanted to say what it is like if you need more than a Walmart or get upset with bugs you will have to live in Tulsa or OKC. Now, the only reason I would move is to be in cooler summer climate like the mountains.I hate heat. You can't get a lower cost of living than Oklahoma. At least our opinion and we have lived in several states. My relatives visit my ranch and are shocked at the price of land. Where I moved from land was 10 times the price per acrea. So it is what you after.

My son-in-law as an engineer had offers in several other states with more money offered. After taking in consideration what he could buy in a home and his over all standard of living it was better for him to be in Stillwater than in CA, CO or Portland Or.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma