Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 PM

74 posts, read 316,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy73703 View Post
While the people are overall friendly, I Seem to not "vibe" with anybody around here, It just seems so different in NM and CO where people will strike up a conversation with you or you them and before you know it your having a drink or coffee and you've met a good friend but around here i cant figure out why most people are so stand-offish. They look at me surprised when i crack a joke or try and strike up conversation .
Welcome to the USA by the way...

when you're out pretty much anywhere most people will say "hello" and "how are you. so in that sense everybody is really nice but for some reason i can't seem to strike up a conversation, you know, really meet and connect with somebody.
i don't even get to the point of cracking a joke so i cant say how they'd react to it. i assume pretty good, unless they dont get my european sense of humor or something

if you're ever bored you can always send me a pm or email or something
it's always good to meet new people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 07:22 PM

6 posts, read 20,097 times
I moved to Enid in the late 80's and was raised there until 1997 then my parents moved us back to southern oklahoma to a very small community called Ratliff City/Fox area..The people in Enid were more friendly then the people here..Enid is home and will always be home..I would love to be able to raise my three daughter there and let them have the better education that they could then being in a small community..I have made many great friends here but there is no place like home..Enid is a grea town with the amplest shopping experiences and has a lot of convience..unlike the southern towns in southern oklahoma..if we want to shop we go to texas.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:36 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Hi bob79!! I know Ratliff City. Look familiar? Picture of Big Bird Liquor (http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/P3200132.jpg - broken link) Picture of Picadilly Plaza (http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/P4110189.jpg - broken link)

My Dad actually lived in Pooleville, and that was the area that caused me to fall in love with Oklahoma.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:10 PM

6 posts, read 20,097 times
yeah i know both of them place..the handy andys is now closed down and the liquor store too..

Old 12-12-2007, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,998 times
I have lived in Enid now for almost four years due to Vanc AFB. I find that although the people are friendly; the town appears to be very stagnant. I'm not sure why everyone speaks of Enid as a "good place to raise children". I would choose a place that would inspire my family, and this town is far from inspiring. Also, I don't know where the rest of the people are from on this forum, but Enid is not a large town. I guess in comparison to the other small towns around the area then Enid might appear "Big". I find that the majority of the people I meet in Enid have not traveled too far from the town, and really know no different. I would just encourage everyone to get out of Enid, or get out of Oklahoma for that matter. You just might find another great, inspiring town to raise your family.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,006 times
Here's the skinny. Oil money. White trash. Dysfunctional families. Old people. People of Walmart. Meth heads. Church clubs. Bipolar weather.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy808 View Post
Here's the skinny. Oil money. White trash. Dysfunctional families. Old people. People of Walmart. Meth heads. Church clubs. Bipolar weather.

You dug up a four year old thread to say that? Well done.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,659 times
I've lived in Enid for about 14 years now. I am originally from Baltimore, MD and have been to quite a few places in my lifetime. Needless to say, it was culture shock when I first moved here, courtesy of the Air Force. I worked at Vance AFB for 9 1/2 years, did a year long tour in Korea and was deployed to Iraq for 4 months. I met my husband here in Enid and had my 3 children here as well. I still can't manage to call it home. The people here are nice enough, but if you're not from here, then you're not in their little cliques. There is practically nothing to do here that hasn't already gotten old. Whoever said Enid has good food has obviously never been anywhere else to eat. I just signed the petition the other day to allow the proposition of selling more than 3.2% alcoholic drinks on Sundays. Can we really move into this century sometime soon please?! And not letting minors into liquor stores...what's that about? Are they afraid that underage people are going to become alcoholics before their time just by stepping foot in a liquor store? Maybe they should have more stuff for kids to do here! I go crazy trying to think of something to do with my kids...fun things to do, especially in the winter. If I have to go to Leonardo's one more time, I'm going to shoot myself! And the so called "tall buildings/skyscrapers" downtown are absolutely pathetic! There are a few things downtown of interest if you've never been here and I know they are trying to improve this place, but it is a very slow process. The "good ol boys" allow what comes into this town and if they really want Enid to grow, they are doing a **** poor job of it! There are so many wasted buildings in this town. So much potential, yet no one has the mind set to act on it. Yes, the cost of living is reasonable and well as the housing. The crime rate is low and it's a "great place to raise a family". But I am so tired of living here. I am only here because my husband and I wouldn't be able to find jobs where we make as much money as we do here, already being established without taking a huge pay cut.
I have been complaining about this place since I moved here. And it really hasn't changed that much over the last 15 years. I know I shouldn't complain. I should probably embrace Enid and do my best to make the most of it, but I really feel like this town doesn't do anything to help it's citizens not become stir crazy and depressed. It's a treat just to go to OKC (or anywhere else) and get out of this place for a little while. I feel like I just exist here. I am not really living. I am wasting my life here. I just think about all the other places out there where the food is good, there are things to do and living to be done. I dream for the day that I can move away from here.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:17 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Oh, well, people can feel like strongly complaining about any city or small town in Oklahoma, including Oklahoma City and Tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma