Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma's Regional Identity
The South 31 46.27%
The Southwest 23 34.33%
The Midwest 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:29 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
does Oklahoma relate more to Denver, Dallas or Kansas City for other professional sports and stuff?
I have no idea. I know Oklahomans who are Bronco fans, Cowboy fans, or Chief's fans... isn't that Kansas City's team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 04:17 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Here is an awesome announcement if you lie sports:

Quote:
Bushwacker will retire at the end of the Professional Bull Riders season. His owner, Julio Moreno, said he wanted the 8-year-old bull to retire on top. Bushwacker had a streak of 42 consecutive buckoffs from 2009 to last August.
This guy has only been ridden twice in his career...........

Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
does Oklahoma relate more to Denver, Dallas or Kansas City for other professional sports and stuff?
We have professional sports. It's called Sooner Football and Oklahoma State Football.

Nah seriously, the Thunder, of course, are our basketball team and in a very short time have really developed a strong following here in OK City and throughout the state....although some fans in the extreme southern quadrant of the state still follow the Mavericks.

For pro football here's the hierarchy: the Dallas Cowboys are the frontrunner (although I've gotten sick of watchin' Romeo, that's what I call him, choke time after time), the Kansas City Chiefs would be a distant second, and every once and a while you might run into a Bronco fan. Other than that there is not much of a pro football following here. You might see a different jersey here or there of former Sooner standouts that have gone on to have successful pro careers....Sam Bradford and Adrian Peterson come to mind.)

For baseball here's the hierarchy: the St. Louis Cardinals followed quite closely by the Texas Rangers. I personally root for the Cardinals but have been a Rangers fan for a long time as I have been to many games in Arlington. You will see KC Royal fans from time to time and even Atlanta Braves fans who are National League snoots.

Your best bet: root for the Thunder, the St. Louis Cardinals, and the Dallas Cowboys. (Not biased at all, honest!)

Old 01-28-2014, 05:32 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
In football the Dallas Cowboys are the dominate team, but it seems like I see almost as many Stealer fans here in Tulsa.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Here is an awesome announcement if you lie sports:

This guy has only been ridden twice in his career...........
Goes to show not all great athletes are two legged.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:50 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,240 times
you should see what it's like in the pan handle of Florida- the only sports are football and basketball and it's all college. In fact you get judged for rooting for professional sports. Personally, I'm excited to see some Barons hockey games in OKC

Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
you should see what it's like in the pan handle of Florida- the only sports are football and basketball and it's all college. In fact you get judged for rooting for professional sports. Personally, I'm excited to see some Barons hockey games in OKC
I lived just outside the Florida panhandle for a bit and yes I agree, the college football culture was/is crazy.

It kinda felt like home in a way as it reminded me of the Sooner State!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM

374 posts, read 807,206 times
Quote:
We root for the Thunder, OU and OSU, period. Oklahomans typically do not root for outside teams. That's just not the culture here. I don't think I have ever seen any KC gear in OKC. Very rarely you will see a Dallas Cowboys fan, but not very often.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:50 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
We root for the Thunder, OU and OSU, period. Oklahomans typically do not root for outside teams. That's just not the culture here. I don't think I have ever seen any KC gear in OKC. Very rarely you will see a Dallas Cowboys fan, but not very often.
Again, what are you talking about?

The NFL and major pro sports in general are huge here. I know people in Tulsa with season tickets to the Chiefs, there's cowboy stuff on people everywhere. Not as much as there used to be since the Cowboys have been so poor for so long, but there's still a lot of fans here. There's a big group of Packers Backers that meet for every game in the hotel by my work, there's more and more St Louis Rams fans with Bradford being the QB. The Broncos are popular too. The baseball Cardinals are huge in Tulsa with a good number of KC and Rangers fans. Since the Drillers affiliated with the Rockies you see more and more of their stuff too.

I'm certainly not a OS or OSU fan, I went to KU and I am not alone. There are tons of KU people in Tulsa. My son plays basketball and fully 1/3 of the kids that play basketball are in some sort of KU gear during practice. Arkansas is big here too, Fayetteville is actually closer to Tulsa than Norman. And did you forget about TU?

Where do you live? I'm not sure it's actually Oklahoma.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
This guy is just trolling these threads. Lets not feed this troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma