Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 AM

135 posts, read 248,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthamedia View Post
One more thing (or thang).....Oklahoma has more common sense than any other state. BO did not win 1 out of 77 counties in the state. We smell bull**** a mile away. There are more registered democrats than Republicans; however, the democrats (especially in Little Dixie) vote Republican!
So please, don't bring your left-wing, Progressive, tree hugging, liberal, same sex marriage, sharia loving bull**** here. We have no intention of becoming Austin, Denver or any other once decent city that has been infiltrated with these types.
What an embarrassing post.

You do realize there are more Democrats because they are Dixiecrats? They used to vote for the racist policies of the South 3-4 decades ago and never changed their affiliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 AM

135 posts, read 248,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySimplified View Post
Hello everyone! I currently live near Baltimore, Maryland. I am thinking about attending Oklahoma State University to major in Computer Science and join the Air Force ROTC Detachment there. The only thing is is that I have lived in Maryland all of my life and have never visited Oklahoma in my life. So if anyone could tell me what Oklahoma or more specifically Stillwater and Oklahoma State University are like that would be great! Cheers!

Casey
Did you end up attending OSU? I'm a graduate and hope you've made your way here. We have an excellent Computer Science program.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:33 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Now that that's over with, I can say what Oklahoma is like from my perspective for whoever clicks on the thread wondering.

Fortunately, even in Oklahoma, people like muthamedia above seem to be the minority (overly polarized to one side of the spectrum and completely ignorant).

Oklahoma is nice. It's not as flat as people make it out to be, in fact most of the state is rolling hills, but you can definitely find the flat parts scattered over the western part of the state. The landscape gradually goes from lush and forested to treeless as one goes east to west.

The cities are improving. Oklahoma City's downtown is being revitalized at a nice rate, and I have a feeling in about 10 more years it'll be one of the new "places to be." Tulsa isn't far behind and is coming along nicely too.

The politics are very conservative, and people are very religious. This appeals to some, and is a turn-off to others. If you want liberal, Norman is the best that you'll find, and even OU in my opinion is a rather conservative school. More libertarian, but still conservative, especially for a college.

The climate in the winter is nice. It rarely gets brutally cold, but the wind chill can be a tough one to get along with since the wind blows very often in the winter. Fall and spring are gorgeous, and summer is brutal. The heat (and on most days, the humidity as well) really get to you. In my opinion it's the worst area of the country for heat (Arizona has dry heat, Florida has breezes from the sea, etc.) but then again, a lot of people like really hot weather!

All that said, I do like the state. It was my childhood home and it was nice, but as I grew up and became myself in Colorado, there's no comparison anymore. The landscape, climate, and politics of Colorado are just so much more for me than in Oklahoma. I say Oklahoma sucks, but it doesn't really suck that much. Compared to Colorado... Yeah, it sucks. But it's still a nice place.
I'd say that the Humidity south of Houston, Tx, is worse than SW Oklahoma.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Oh, I'm going to have fun with this.

Sorry, but the reason that Obama didn't win one county is EXACTLY the reason I'm getting the hell out. It's the reason Oklahoma SUCKS. I liked living there as a kid, but going back for college was a very bad decision. You're probably happy to hear that, and I'm happy to leave. OH! My dad is a republican and he couldn't wait to get out (just moved to... beautiful Denver!). Maybe that says something.

Sharia-loving? My god, you're ignorant. You do know that real Muslims are not terrorists, right? Where on earth did you get this idea? FOX News?

You sound VERY uneducated. Maybe you should fix that. Please, please do. Tree hugging and same-sex marriage loving? Sorry, but those are great traits. I think it is good to promote caring for our planet and I also think people deserve to be treated equally.

Oh, and I live in Denver. It's a very nice city. Maybe you should visit and you'll realize that. You may also realize how much better it is here than, say, Oklahoma City.

But that's okay, I'll let you live under a rock and keep believing that Oklahoma's backwards-ness makes it great. As long as you stay there and not come to Colorado, I'll be happy.

Oh, and one last thing, because I have a feeling it'll be the icing on the cake: I'm gay myself! Please, tell me how horrible of a person I am. I'd looove to hear it.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 12,019 times
I think I am having more fun. I have a college degree and, wait for it.......I own property in Colorado! Here's another fun fact: 70% of the people in Oklahoma voted against using any form of sharia in court case. Rather sad that this would even come up. I won't even get started on that other...

Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I think I am having more fun. I have a college degree and, wait for it.......I own property in Colorado!
That is wonderful. Some parts of Colorado are beautiful. We have friends who built on the west slope. They built a dome home. Her husband built it himself back in the early 80s.

guthriekid, don't let the politics bother you. They only hate, and that leads to more hate. There's a thread over on P&OC where people are happy that an elementary school named after the president is shutting down. How fun! Celebrating the closing of a school because it's named after a president they hate~. That's how far their hatred has taken them.

At least the P&OC thread keeps them in one place and for the most part off the other parts of cdf.... except for the occasional interloper... no names mentioned.

Oklahoma is NOT colorado and it should never try to be. They are happy to live there and I am happy to live here. C'est la vie.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
LOL.

Whatever happened to Synopsis? He was a pretty cool cat if I remember correctly. Did he have a meltdown too?
Oh, geez, he just spun out. Wasn't the full moon last night? Oh wait, coons don't howl at the moon, coyotes do!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
That is wonderful. Some parts of Colorado are beautiful. We have friends who built on the west slope. They built a dome home. Her husband built it himself back in the early 80s.

guthriekid, don't let the politics bother you. They only hate, and that leads to more hate. There's a thread over on P&OC where people are happy that an elementary school named after the president is shutting down. How fun! Celebrating the closing of a school because it's named after a president they hate~. That's how far their hatred has taken them.

At least the P&OC thread keeps them in one place and for the most part off the other parts of cdf....
Quote:
except for the occasional interloper... no names mentioned.
Oklahoma is NOT colorado and it should never try to be. They are happy to live there and I am happy to live here. C'est la vie.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,660 times
Quote:
I think I am having more fun. I have a college degree and, wait for it.......I own property in Colorado! Here's another fun fact: 70% of the people in Oklahoma voted against using any form of sharia in court case. Rather sad that this would even come up. I won't even get started on that other...
That's because NO religion's law should be used in court...

Other what? Hmm?

After all, Oklahomans claim that they are a "live and let live" people.

Then again, so do people from every state in the country...

Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Woo Hoo! I'm a real trouble-maker I guess....two comments deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma