Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:36 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times

Advertisements

I know Tex... Ummm... I mean "Joisy" will do fine anywhere....

But can you imagine what he'll sound like when he gets back?

He already picked up some Texas accent on top of his Okie accent...
Throw some Jersey on top of that and no one will have a clue what he's
talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 05:54 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
I know Tex... Ummm... I mean "Joisy" will do fine anywhere....

But can you imagine what he'll sound like when he gets back?

He already picked up some Texas accent on top of his Okie accent...
Throw some Jersey on top of that and no one will have a clue what he's
talking about.
LOL! He'll be a reg'l'r ferrinner!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:58 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Say it ain't so, S!

Now to get serious, it's a complicated matter to find the right place to live, and the reality is that you've got to have income, and the right job, and a workable local community, wherever you are. It can be difficult to find that and a general region where you'd prefer to live on top of it. You've gotta go where you can take care of the basics. I'm sure you'll work things out. Looks as if you're already getting some good advice right here, from people who know the northern NJ area. Best of luck to you and yours.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
In the way of housing, I'd like to buy a home for under 200k. The size doesn't have to be that big; maybe 1200 square feet. I am a Business Writer/Technical Writer and also a Proposal Writer/Manager (Marketing).

The length of commute about 30-45 min. each way (maybe 15-20 miles?). I hope this helps.

BTW, how do people make a living up there with prices so high? I checked on some of the salaries for my position up there and they are LESS than they are here. And to boot, most of those aren't real jobs, they are contract!
For under $200k you're either going to be in a very undesirable/unsafe neighborhood, in a shack that needs tons of work (and I do mean tons), or way too far out of the area you want to be in to make commuting reasonable.

How do people afford it? Simple- they either bought into the market before it got crazy (like we did in 1999 when we paid $105k for a 3 br cape that we sold for $320k in 2007), they have dual incomes and work in the city to rake in big $$, work in big $$ fields like the stock market or pharmaceuticals, or they live paycheck to paycheck on maxed-out credit cards and live to pay their mortgage.

When we moved last year, I was making close to $200k, and still couldn't afford to trade-up into a decent home that wouldn't require a 1.5 hour commute- between the $3500/month mortgage and $10-15k in property taxes, it made no sense to stay, so we packed up and headed south. I traded down into a lower position to reduce the stress I was under (and get paid around 95% of what I paid the people under me in that position in NJ), bought a brand new 4 br home for under $300k that would easily cost $800k in NJ, and pay $3k/year in property taxes. We've also found that people down here value life outside of work far more than they do in NJ, so I also work much less and get to spend time enjoying life instead of working to afford life.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Hey, Bob, nice to see you posting in my new neck of the woods!
Hey you- can't you talk some sense into this boy? You know as well as anyone what he's in for....lol.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:25 PM

Hi Bob, pleased to make your acquaintance...

Are you sure you're not making NJ sound bad like I want to do with OK to keep the riff-raff out?

It sure sounds like it.

For the record....

The artist formerly know as "Synopsis" a.k.a. "Tex", soon to be known as "Joisy"
is definitely not riff-raff.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:48 PM

708 posts, read 688,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Yes, it is true. We will be moving to New Jersey (near Hackensack) as soon as possible. Colleen, can you help me out with any house hunting or apt. hunting tips in the area? What about good companies for which to work? Help!

I know, it's a far cry from living in the country in Oklahoma, but this is a necessary move, and for the best in the long run.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SYNOPSIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u cnt move!! we love u here!! I WONT LET U MOVE!! I WILL GRAUD YOUR HOUSE AND U WONT LEAVE!!! im going to miss u im coming to ok and ur not going to be ther??!! wht will i do! *hugs and kisses u* *holds on forever*

Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Hey you- can't you talk some sense into this boy? You know as well as anyone what he's in for....lol.
If your talkin about Synopsis, a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. By the way, welcome to the Okie thread there Bob.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
I hope that you secure "THE JOB" and NOT just "A JOB" and pray that you don't get laid off - otherwise you'll regret your move to NJ.

Good Luck

Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Do you NJ guys mind if I steal some of your posts so I can scare the potential Okie newbs away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma