Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 AM

258 posts, read 1,015,070 times

Advertisements

Constructive criticism is perfectly fine imo. Everyone, even the people who live here, have our fair share of complaints. But its when you run into those people who seemingly do nothing but complain about most everything... well then you just have to ignore them because you know that nothing they say can be trusted. They are seeing everything through "red colored" glasses and thus no matter what they say, it cant have any value. They have no truthful balance or perspective to offer, and thats shown through their always negative and "red biased" comments. Same is true for those who think everything is perfect and see the world through rose colored glasses. Again, they too obviously arent seeing things clearly enough to give any input that anyone could trust.

However when I run into someone who offers up both perceived good and bad, I take a closer look at what they are saying. They are far more likely being fair and honest, more balanced and truthful with their perspective. In those instances I like hearing what they perceive to be negatives. Its good to have an outsider view. We cant truly grow as a state, or grow our cities, if we ignore our relative standing. States in the Federalist model are "experiments", each going down its own paths and trying out different philosophies and ideas. Every state is unique with different histories, circumstances, resources, etc. So an idea that may work perfectly well, or fail, in one state, may not work exactly the same if added into the unique mix of another state. Yet we can glean valuable information from others ideas. We can see whether our mix of ideas is working as well for our people and our economy, as another states is, and try to improve. But again, remember the source of this "perspective" and act accordingly.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedgurl79 View Post
High Five!
>>>>>>
Who said its not the best state? Where else do you find people so nice that they go to national football championships and let the other team win?
<<<<<<

Yes Sir! However, I would have been totally fine if the Sooners would have absolutely obliterated the Gators like they were supposed to.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,455 times
as a WI native who moved here march 08, I like OK, and while it's far from perfect, Oklahoma is OK by me. But that doesn;t mean I don;t miss WI either tho. esp my lady !!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:46 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
Default We'll sell to ya!

Anyone that wants to leave Oklahoma, please buy our house and company here in Ohio and we'll be glad to move to Oklahoma in your stead .

Old 02-24-2009, 02:55 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Folks have to buy each others company in Ohio? What ever happened to just being friends?????????

Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Folks have to buy each others company in Ohio? What ever happened to just being friends?????????
Thats only if someone doesn't want to live in Oklahoma anymore. They can buy us out here in Ohio and we can move to Oklahoma.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:50 PM

100 posts, read 267,411 times
oklahoma is no different than any other place,somedays its the best some days its not, but if you ever find a better sunset or sunrise let me know

Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Anyone that wants to leave Oklahoma, please buy our house and company here in Ohio and we'll be glad to move to Oklahoma in your stead .
We love you SeabeeBolt.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:10 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
As a native Oklahoman I am always embarrassed by how backward our state is and how it must look to others, especially when off the wall, bizarre stories come out like the one about the judge who had to go to prison for Moderator cut: please, nothing so vulgar pump while conducting court. My problem is that I just haven't felt daring and adventurous enough to leave the state. Pulling your roots up and just leaving isn't easy.

Yet, friends I have known have done just that. One friend of mine left Oklahoma to join the Marines and after getting out chose to live in San Diego rather than move back to Oklahoma. He loves it there and thinks he never come back to Oklahoma to live. Another friend left Oklahoma to resume his teaching career by moving to Las Vegas. He doesn't think he'll ever come back to Oklahoma to live again. So I tend to envy people who have the guts to turn their backs on Oklahoma and leave without regretting it. It's something I'll never do.

Last edited by Synopsis; 02-24-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
As a native Oklahoman I am always embarrassed by how backward our state is and how it must look to others, especially when off the wall, bizarre stories come out like the one about the judge who had to go to prison for Moderator cut: vulgar pump while conducting court. My problem is that I just haven't felt daring and adventurous enough to leave the state. Pulling your roots up and just leaving isn't easy.

Yet, friends I have known have done just that. One friend of mine left Oklahoma to join the Marines and after getting out chose to live in San Diego rather than move back to Oklahoma. He loves it there and thinks he never come back to Oklahoma to live. Another friend left Oklahoma to resume his teaching career by moving to Las Vegas. He doesn't think he'll ever come back to Oklahoma to live again. So I tend to envy people who have the guts to turn their backs on Oklahoma and leave without regretting it. It's something I'll never do.
It's perfectly fine for people to leave and be happy Stillwater. I myself left Oklahoma because I could not find a decent living there during my younger years.

To be honest, I haven't been able to find a decent living there yet, and I am 47 years old.

To each their own.

I would, however, love to return to my home state within the next 10 years or so. It is where I grew up; it is where my roots are and I long to return "home." Maybe someday you will understand (or maybe not) what "home" is to you as you grow older. As time goes by, one realizes there is something about where they grew up; something very special. It is very hard to explain and perhaps I am being too sentimental.

I hope that you find what you are looking for, and perhaps someday when you're older you'll realize what your home state has to offer.

Or maybe not!

But whatever, I wish you the very best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma