Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:49 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,712 times

Advertisements

Thank all of you. Lots of good information.

Okiebound: I firmly agree with you... there ain't NOTHING wrong with, "ain't"

Jammie: Big thanks. I'll look into the information.

doubt98: Ah ... truck info. It's looking like I'm going to have to "pay my dues" with trucking no matter where I start. But that was some delicious information. Love it. Big thanks.

StillwaterTownie: You brought a smile to my face. Gave me a flavor of life in the area. But I have to admit, that at 53, and after seeing what drugs and alcohol has done to my life and to the life of all the many types of people I encountered druing the past 20 years of social service work ... along with the many 12-Step tables I've sat at over the past 23+ years ... I'm not really looking for "liberal" in terms of a drug postive atmosphere. Please don't think I'm critizing ... but it's ONE of the things that's killed California. (I like what Transpersonal Psychology says about addiction .... "it's a spritual emergency." And "spiritual" don't just mean Baptist I guess...)

redbird4848: I'm feeling what you said strongly. There are a lot of sides to a well lived life. Oh, and thanks for the Boley info. Sometimes folks are warry of giving that kind of advice for fear it will be taken wrongly. I'm loving all slices of everything all of you've said. (Sometimes your best friend tells you the more difficult things.) But, I'm cool with any place that won't think much one way or another about yet one more pointy head brother farming nearby.
I like it when I hear that "God Said" ... to love God and love our neighbors. (Even when they don't always love us. ) I've lived in a lot of places in my life but I've always taken my stupid ...self back to California. This HAS to be the last time. Not a bad place ... just time to get the hell out!

Godspeed to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 12:25 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Good luck to you veganwriter wherever you turn up!

Old 06-15-2007, 01:44 PM

5 posts, read 14,421 times
Hello,
The Tahlequah and Muskogee area would be worth looking into. Tahlequah is home to Northeastern State University and for a town our size (population approximately 16,000), we have a fairly lively arts and culture scene -- lots of musicians and artists.
Muskogee is about 32,000 population, but not nearly as pretty as Tahlequah. It has more industry -- read factories -- but if you are going to be driving a truck, that probably wouldn't matter.
Tahlequah is about 70 miles east of Tulsa.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:06 PM

21 posts, read 70,072 times
I would say you need to move down closer to Mcalester Oklahoma. There are some small towns around here that will welcome you. There are two or three colleges that are close by an not that far away. I wish you luck on finding someplace that makes you happy..Ya'll there isnt a thing wrong with that phrase.. come to McAlester an give me your name an I will show you a good time for sure here in the wonderful Eastern Oklahoma hills.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:23 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,712 times
Hey everyone ... I'm here in Tulsa.

Oklahoma is KOOL!!

I feel so stupid having asked all those dumb questions. I'm sorry to say, but people who live in California tend to think they have the corner on the market when it comes to awareness ... and matters of the heart and soul. (Few things could actually be further from the truth these days ...)

RACE: I see all kinds of mixed race babies (and adults) running around here. Black and Indian, White and Black, White and Indian ... (LOL). The genie is out of the bottle everywhere. Everybody knows what time it is. Yeah, you got some neaderthals running around ... but for the most part, people are a whole lot more real (as in "Not Fake" or arrogantly pretentious) than they are in "Cali" or most other places these days.

Class: I think I'm seeing a wide gap between the haves and have-nots. There is a middle class here. I have no idea abot the future of the economy here, but I will say that the first time a couple of guys from the trucking company and I went downtown Tulsa, we almost walked into a brother from Florida. He said he was working for a high tech company and mentioned that Google has already bought some land here in Tulsa in preperation for their move here. He claims that Tulsa is going to be one of the new Midwest high tech hubs. If so, this place is prime for anyone willing to risk gambling on starting a new buisness here. Looks like tons of potential.

Sex and Sexuality: All the comments posted by people worried about Oklahoma's openness to alternative sexuality and gays. There are TONS of gay people here. (LOL) No, I didn't leave them in California. Life is life no matter where you are in 2007. Oh, and while this is the Bible Belt, there is tons of drug use and tons of young people doing the same jiggy things that young people do everywhere else.

Rev. Carlton Person made a comment that was televised on the news here last week about Oklahoma's high rate of divorse despite all the bible belt thumping.

Quality of Life: It's differnt here ... but for those with who share the way I evaluate things ... it's also better here. IF you have a way you can make money "anywhere" (e.g. medicine, teaching, etc...) then your money will go a LOT further here than it will in places like California.

God bless change.... and the opportunity to make changes in our lives. (I'm not even going to spell check it )

Old 06-29-2007, 04:42 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying yourself veganwriter. It's all about perspective and having an open mind. Some folks are just locked into a mentality that there's no place better than <insert city/state/region here>. There are a lot of positives and potential in Oklahoma. And, with more people moving in that have a can-do attitude and desire to make the area grow further in the right direction, the better off everyone would be.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying yourself veganwriter. It's all about perspective and having an open mind. Some folks are just locked into a mentality that there's no place better than <insert city/state/region here>. There are a lot of positives and potential in Oklahoma. And, with more people moving in that have a can-do attitude and desire to make the area grow further in the right direction, the better off everyone would be.
Right: here hubby and I refer to it as the mind set of the people. Nita

Old 06-29-2007, 07:06 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Hey Vegan, enjoy yourself in Tulsa. Let us know about all the things you go to see and you can post pics if you can cause we all enjoy them.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:11 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
hi veganwriter,

seems like yesterday you were wondering where to live, and now you are in Tulsa. Enjoy.

I see the same mixed raced children in Tahlequah too. And it is nice.

Quote:
people are a whole lot more real (as in "Not Fake" or arrogantly pretentious) than they are in "Cali" or most other places these days.
I found San Diego and L.A. to be like what you say, but not the rest of CA. Well, maybe Marin Co.

I much prefer the home town people like those that I grew up with in Paso Robles, CA, and Oklahoma is filled with them.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:29 AM

20 posts, read 113,789 times
Hello,
I am a black woman, 57 years old, a social worker. Moving from the San Fancisco area, I have lived in OK for 15 years, although the last three I have "commuted" from a job in the United Kingdom. I live outside McLoud Oklahoma, a small town off I40 east of OKC, close to Shawnee. You will find many small towns with reasonable property costs to choose from, it is a matter of what you like and location. I have traveled throughout the state and have never encountered racist behavior, although I have been treated rudely (by black and white folks). OK is very trucker friendly. Many areas are easily accessible with the open space you will need for your truck. Property costs are reasonable.
Church is optional, but it is a major social outlet in OK. Most people want to know who your "people" are (meaning who are you related to). For black communities, try Langston, Boley or Lawton. OKC has a significant community as well as Tulsa, but both are relatively large cities.
Good Luck in your move. I love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma