Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:57 PM

16 posts, read 35,470 times

Advertisements

Well, I love the weather in New York mostly because I love hoodies and NY gives me plenty of opportunities to wear them. Hopefully OK doesn't make me completely shelve 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 AM

58 posts, read 146,657 times
I can't speak to the OKC/Midwest City area specifically, I'm a Tulsan, but I can give you some general information.

1) Religion - There are a lot of churches, but it's not as all-pervasive as it might seem. I am not a religious person, never have been, and I haven't had any problems because of it.

2) Politics - Yeah, they're pretty conservative. Avoid talk radio and you'll be fine.

3) Speed limits - Are quite high on the highways and state roads. Your lead foot may not be that much of an issue. (But beware speed trap small towns - they're all over when you get away from the cities.)

4) Waving - That's a rural thing. If someone waves to you in the city, that means they're about to cut you off.

5) Weather - It changes often. The central/western part of the state is more tornado-prone, expect lots of free entertainment from the TV meteorologists during the spring. They get very excited when there's a big storm, so much so they almost glow. Don't worry about the tornadoes, but do expect big, spectacular thunderstorms, they're guaranteed every spring. Summers will be hotter than you're used to, but the OKC area is less humid than the eastern part of the state. Don't expect to see much snow. You can comfortably wear your hoodies all winter.

6) Social life - There is social life beyond church, and really, people won't look down on you if you go to bars or clubs. Especially not being 21.

7) Food - We consider Pizza Hut to be "good" crappy pizza, too. There is better available, but it will probably be closer to Chicago style than New York. And you'll likely fall in love with the chicken fried steaks, most visitors and immigrants do. You mentioned being Muslim by birth - if that means you're of Middle Eastern ancestry, and you get a hankering for the food, come visit us in Tulsa. There are some very well regarded Lebanese and Syrian steakhouses (Which means they serve Oklahoma style steaks with Middle Eastern appetizers and deserts), straight up kebab joints, and you can find tabbouleh, hummus and pita bread in every grocery store.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
It seems in recent years, at least in the Stillwater area, that big hail and not tornadoes have become a lot bigger and more common weather happening than tornadoes. You gotta hope your car is garaged when one of those hail storms hit.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM

16 posts, read 35,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I can't speak to the OKC/Midwest City area specifically, I'm a Tulsan, but I can give you some general information.

1) Religion - There are a lot of churches, but it's not as all-pervasive as it might seem. I am not a religious person, never have been, and I haven't had any problems because of it.

2) Politics - Yeah, they're pretty conservative. Avoid talk radio and you'll be fine.

3) Speed limits - Are quite high on the highways and state roads. Your lead foot may not be that much of an issue. (But beware speed trap small towns - they're all over when you get away from the cities.)

4) Waving - That's a rural thing. If someone waves to you in the city, that means they're about to cut you off.

5) Weather - It changes often. The central/western part of the state is more tornado-prone, expect lots of free entertainment from the TV meteorologists during the spring. They get very excited when there's a big storm, so much so they almost glow. Don't worry about the tornadoes, but do expect big, spectacular thunderstorms, they're guaranteed every spring. Summers will be hotter than you're used to, but the OKC area is less humid than the eastern part of the state. Don't expect to see much snow. You can comfortably wear your hoodies all winter.

6) Social life - There is social life beyond church, and really, people won't look down on you if you go to bars or clubs. Especially not being 21.

7) Food - We consider Pizza Hut to be "good" crappy pizza, too. There is better available, but it will probably be closer to Chicago style than New York. And you'll likely fall in love with the chicken fried steaks, most visitors and immigrants do. You mentioned being Muslim by birth - if that means you're of Middle Eastern ancestry, and you get a hankering for the food, come visit us in Tulsa. There are some very well regarded Lebanese and Syrian steakhouses (Which means they serve Oklahoma style steaks with Middle Eastern appetizers and deserts), straight up kebab joints, and you can find tabbouleh, hummus and pita bread in every grocery store.
Very informative, thank you. Heh, it goes to show what I know though...I would have never though I'd be able to get some decent Middle Eastern food down South so that sounds awesome.

Now when you say speed limits on highways are high...how high are we talking? Out here pretty much every highway is 55...which is why 98% of NY'ers go 10-15+mph over that on a regular basis.

And about the hail...I hope not. I am going to be living in an apartment so a garage seems out of possibility.

Last edited by Abe2111; 11-03-2009 at 10:08 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 PM

58 posts, read 146,657 times
A lot of the wider highways, turnpikes, etc. are 60-75mph speed limit, but again, watch out for sudden changes near very, very small towns.

There's a little bit of a story behind the Middle Eastern food. Starting back around statehood (1907 - 1920s) there were a lot of Lebanese immigrants that came over to work in the oil fields. Some of them opened little restaurants and chow wagons, the locals took a liking to the tabbouleh and the stuffed cabbage rolls, and a Tulsa institution was born. It's not unusual to see a big bowl of tabbouleh next to the potato salad and fried chicken at a picnic now. ;-)

The steakhouses are Jamil's, Eddy's, and the Silver Flame. There's also a less formal, more lunch type place near the University of Tulsa called Dena's (formerly Halim & Mimi's), and a small Middle Eastern grocery around 41st and Sheridan. There's a large general Asian grocery in East Tulsa that also stocks some Middle Eastern spices and ingredients, but not as many as the smaller, specialty store.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,754 times
In Oklahoma City also, there is a maturing Asian district centered around NW 23rd and Classen Blvd, with two large Asian supermarkets... Chinatown Supermarket and Super Cao Nguyen (I prefer the latter). There are more than a dozen Vietnamese phao houses in the Asian District, and many are delicious if you are into phoa.

Many of Oklahoma City's Middle Eastern restaurants are scattered around town, and there are some decent Asian-Indian restaurants as well. There are two restaurants that I enjoy in OKC that serve some good eastern cuisine... Zorba's and Mediterranean Imports & Deli.

My favorite is Mediterranean. There is also Nunu's and Queen of Sheba.

To expand on VeraBlue's speed limit info... interstates are 70 MPH rural, 60-65MPH in OKC and Tulsa. Turnpikes are 75 MPH, 60-65 in OKC and Tulsa. Cheers!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 8,597 times
LOL

I was raised in Oklahoma. People will honk and wave. They will be quick to come if you 'holler' Neighbors are quick to check on each other after storms. Especially older folks that may have had problems if the power went out or there was a tornado touchdown.

Mostly people do pay attention to the comings and goings of their neighbors. More like "Haven't seen you come out in a few days, is everything ok?" Not really like all up in your business stuff. You will be asked, Where do you go to church? You want to come out to "First Baptist Such and Such?" No nagging or anything. Depending on where you are looking at moving, it is quiet towns, or busier cities.

I like to avoid Oklahoma City proper because of one way streets and the traffic. But that is just me.
You will love it, I am sure. It is the best state in the union. And we have an awesome musical. Lots of people know our state song.

The state fair is way cool. You will want an Indian Taco first thing!!. Braum's and a really good burger and milkshake should be one of your first stops.
Hope this helps
Teresa

Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe2111 View Post
Well, I love the weather in New York mostly because I love hoodies and NY gives me plenty of opportunities to wear them. Hopefully OK doesn't make me completely shelve 'em.
Perfect hoodie weather in the evening now. I came from socal last year, and the weather has not been too cold for me so if your used to lots of really cold weather, then I'm sure you'll be comfortable. Where I lived it would get really warm during the winter now and then, but was technically desert so it also got cold. I added a few more thermals to my wardrobe and wear the warm stuff more, but didn't have to do much. I have a ventless gas heater and it did well on the main part of my small house. I have noticed that most people stay inside their warm homes when its cold and when it warms up everyone comes ourside.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:23 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,762 times
Well not to get off topic or anything but if you are a Yankee fan you will certainly miss your baseball... Oklahoma doesn't have a pro team. Oh well I guess once a Yankee fan always a fan.. They did a great job winning the World Series... Congrats!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:11 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
I'm pretty sure the Tulsa team that will be playing at the new ONEOK field in Tulsa gets paid. All those guys have contrats.....that makes them a pro team.....just not major league......but they play a good game of ball anyway, and you don't have to pay $200 for a ticket or $50 to park............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma