Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:46 PM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times

Advertisements

Yes, definitely check out the Dundee area . It has a little more urban feel to it and plenty of culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 03:08 PM

30 posts, read 103,367 times
I lived in the area you are referring to for most of my life. I grew up near miller park which is about 20 blocks north of the area you mentioned. I moved close to 50th and dodge when I started college at UNO. 3 years ago I had to move out of there and bought a house in North Omaha, very close to the area you are considering moving into. I don't regret it one bit. When I lived in that apartment I dealt with being held at gunpoint once, an apartment break in, and my car being stolen. Never have I had any issues where I live now. For the same monthly payment as my 2 bedroom apartment I bought a 3500sq foot house with 6 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and a little more than 1/3 acre yard. I'm not blind. I know that bad stuff happens in North Omaha, but its not home invasion... Nearly all of the violent crimes that happen are within gangs or are shootings at gas stations/liquor stores past midnight. My solution, don't go to those places after it gets dark. I know to alot of you that sounds absurd... but seriously, if I need gas at 1am I'm only 2 to 3 minutes from better neighborhoods such as Ponca Hills or Raven Oaks. Downtown is also within 2 to 3 minutes from where I live. A few other perks about living in North East Omaha is you'll never have to deal with traffic. No one around here drives cars. Its kinda nice.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrindone View Post
I lived in the area you are referring to for most of my life. I grew up near miller park which is about 20 blocks north of the area you mentioned. I moved close to 50th and dodge when I started college at UNO. 3 years ago I had to move out of there and bought a house in North Omaha, very close to the area you are considering moving into. I don't regret it one bit. When I lived in that apartment I dealt with being held at gunpoint once, an apartment break in, and my car being stolen. Never have I had any issues where I live now. For the same monthly payment as my 2 bedroom apartment I bought a 3500sq foot house with 6 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and a little more than 1/3 acre yard. I'm not blind. I know that bad stuff happens in North Omaha, but its not home invasion... Nearly all of the violent crimes that happen are within gangs or are shootings at gas stations/liquor stores past midnight. My solution, don't go to those places after it gets dark. I know to alot of you that sounds absurd... but seriously, if I need gas at 1am I'm only 2 to 3 minutes from better neighborhoods such as Ponca Hills or Raven Oaks. Downtown is also within 2 to 3 minutes from where I live. A few other perks about living in North East Omaha is you'll never have to deal with traffic. No one around here drives cars. Its kinda nice.
There are beautiful old homes in that area and there are also some wonderful people in that area; however, it is also where the major poverty and crime is in Omaha. Its one thing for a long time resident to understand that and still choose to be part of that area, but its something totally different for a newcomer to venture in.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you know very specifically what you are walking into. Nothing said in the previous post is wrong, except I would point out that some of those drive-by shootings have in fact entered the homes of the innocent - that's pointed out on the news several times a quarter.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:04 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,293 times
I have lived in north Omaha for many years and never had any problems with it. No it's not the most affluent neighborhood but it's not as bad as people make it sound. There is very little random crime and what does happen is usually between people who know each other and are into things they shouldn't be doing anyways.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
As everyone else has stated, there are many great people in that area. All I can tell you is I would still strongly advise to live away from 24th and Ames area. You don't have to be out looking for trouble to find it. I would suggest Coucil Bluffs, IA. It has many large older neighborhoods very close to downtown.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,686 times
I know I'm not the topic starter but what is the farthest east you could reccomend living? I saw someone said stay east of 72nd if you're looking urban, but where would you suggest staying west of as far as "safety"? I hope no one asked that yet.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdave View Post
I know I'm not the topic starter but what is the farthest east you could reccomend living? I saw someone said stay east of 72nd if you're looking urban, but where would you suggest staying west of as far as "safety"? I hope no one asked that yet.

That's a hard question, the line is very jagged. Some very nice old urban areas butt up against the "bad" areas.

If I were to start getting east of 30th st and North of Dodge I would be very careful to check it out.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 AM

I would have to debunk what you're saying Dave. I have lived in that area you're talking about probably more than any other and I can really say it's not that bad. Have you ever lived there? If all you have to gone about north Omaha is here-say than it would seem the place is awful. However if you have lived there that's another story.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I would have to debunk what you're saying Dave. I have lived in that area you're talking about probably more than any other and I can really say it's not that bad. Have you ever lived there? If all you have to gone about north Omaha is here-say than it would seem the place is awful. However if you have lived there that's another story.
Have not lived there, but through work have spent a lot of time there. Also very cognizant of crime stats and crime patterns.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 PM

Stats and patterns are only part of it. No one is going to argue that north Omaha is more "high crime" than other parts of Omaha. But since Omaha is already a low crime city the high crime parts by comparison aren't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha