Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,168,383 times

Advertisements

Why so defensive? Lots of people may think Omaha sucks (myself included) but that doesn't mean you aren't entitled to feel differently. Not every city is appealing to every person! Why is it always the same handful of crybabies from Omaha that get so bent out of shape when someone slags off their city? It's pathetic and an embarrassment to the place you claim to be so proud of.

LOL @ Gerald R. Ford birthplace...a major draw to be sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 03:58 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,281,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Why so defensive? Lots of people may think Omaha sucks (myself included) but that doesn't mean you aren't entitled to feel differently. Not every city is appealing to every person! Why is it always the same handful of crybabies from Omaha that get so bent out of shape when someone slags off their city? It's pathetic and an embarrassment to the place you claim to be so proud of.

LOL @ Gerald R. Ford birthplace...a major draw to be sure!
well trust me, it is just as annoying to hear your negative comments about Omaha as it is for you to hear our positive ones. It's a two way street. It's not being given the light of day that inrages me. Almost as much as people judging my city off of things that make no sense, like, Nebraska = boring, thus, Omaha = boring, or it's not a MEGA city, so it must be terrible, or, I lived there twenty years ago, and obviously cities don't grow, so Omaha must still be just as boring as it was back then.

By the way, I agree with your Gerald R. Ford comment, that's why I didn't include it in my response.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Plenty of people make positive comments about Omaha which are not "annoying"--it's called an opinion and everyone is entitled to one. What IS annoying is the vocal minority who keep starting threads like this on the US forum where it does not belong. It reeks of desperation for approval. What else could you be trying to accomplish?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Plenty of people make positive comments about Omaha which are not "annoying"--it's called an opinion and everyone is entitled to one. What IS annoying is the vocal minority who keep starting threads like this on the US forum where it does not belong. It reeks of desperation for approval. What else could you be trying to accomplish?
first off, this thread if anything was made with the opportunity for people to badmouth it, not build it up, andI'm mearly defending the city from people who have been misinformed, not nessescarily opinionated. my first defensive post on this thread was entirely factual, not subjective.

and the only posts I've seen pass the "annoying" test are those which blatantly disrespect Omaha before anything positive can be stated. I've never once claimed Omaha is right for everyone, but I don't feel the need to remind people of unrelated downsides to city in every post. Excuse me.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
I've seen some nice pics of Omaha. People's views of a city are usually wrapped up into one extreme description. It's either awesome of it sucks. You'll probably find a lot of your own city in others.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:42 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,599,889 times
I just don't get this recent uproar over Omaha over the past few weeks. I mean of all cities, Omaha. Probably about the most innocuos, anonymous city in the country. Can anyone even find Nebraska on a map if you take the labels off? I don't understand it.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:53 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times
I got through Joslyn in about 20 minutes this past winter. Hence the "decent" qualifier.

Anyway, the original post is like saying "I only eat strawberry ice cream because it hasn't killed me yet. What could I possibly be missing by not ever tasting other flavors."

Old 07-08-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I just don't get this recent uproar over Omaha over the past few weeks. I mean of all cities, Omaha. Probably about the most innocuos, anonymous city in the country. Can anyone even find Nebraska on a map if you take the labels off? I don't understand it.
My point exactly. Omaha is deserving of more recognition than it gets, and while I am fine if people respectfully don't wish to learn more about Omaha, if people bad mouth my town simply because they don't know about it, then I've got a problem, and I feel compelled to inform.

And to seattlenextyear, that's fine, I think it isn't hinky dinky, it's a smithsonian affiliate, and it isn't a two bit operation, but if you didn't care for it then that's fine. I'm sure an art museum of all places isn't suited to everyone's tastes.
But I agree that the poster should see other cities, and compare and decide what is right for him. In the meantime, I'm cutting out the misconceptions about Omaha, with an occational opinion, nothing more.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 PM

From what I've seen, most of the people who have "bad mouthed" Omaha DO know something about it because they have lived and/or spent time there. People who aren't familiar with Omaha generally couldn't care one way or another about the place.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
From what I've seen, most of the people who have "bad mouthed" Omaha DO know something about it because they have lived and/or spent time there. People who aren't familiar with Omaha generally couldn't care one way or another about the place.
they remember the omaha of ten or twenty years ago, when it was just another average city, not without it's charm, but certainly without it's new life, and now Omaha is really a different place.
I've said this WAY too many times for you to not have heard this rant before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha