Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:25 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times

Advertisements

I thought this documentary would be of interest to some of you on this forum. Since OC is so often shed in a positive "rich and wealthy" light, this documentary follows families in the service industry who can't even afford rent and live in motels.

HBO: Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County: Interview

Alexandra Pelosi tells untold story of homelessness in 'Motel Kids of Orange County' on HBO

The shows airs tonight on HBO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 AM

575 posts, read 1,777,984 times
Thanks for the heads up.

I read the synopsis and unfortunately I'm not surprised.

I tend to be a numbers person, and I've never been able to figure out how household income numbers in OC possibly align with current rental prices, much less housing prices.

But whenever that point is brought up, the answer always seems to be that the majority of OC families have access to appreciation wealth, unreported income, family money, trust funds, or foreign money; and the unfortunate few who don't, probably live in multi-family situations. Hmmm, I'm not buying it.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,882 times
I wonder when the move to a "green" world that can accommodate all of us will give up, do a 180 and go the path of Logan's Run instead.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
I loved her Ted Haggard work... but, alas, I'm too cheap to pay for HBO, so I won't be watching this one yet.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,889 times
I thought most of those cheap OC motels were closed down. There used to be a bunch of them on Harbor Blvd. in the 80's.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,531 times
Greetings All,

As someone who is relocating out there soon, watching this put a lot of things in perspective...I found a place in Covina that was great for what I need but I've been looking at Anaheim for somewhere in OC but maybe I need to be grateful for what I found after seeing this...

Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times
I didn't get a chance to watch it since I am moving, was it "eye opening"?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:18 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrmidion View Post
Greetings All,

As someone who is relocating out there soon, watching this put a lot of things in perspective...I found a place in Covina that was great for what I need but I've been looking at Anaheim for somewhere in OC but maybe I need to be grateful for what I found after seeing this...
lol yup. You would be surprised at how much of OC is actually ghetto. You see, lots of people live in OC because this is where the jobs are. They can't live in Riverside or the inland empire (where the cost of living is significantly lower) because they have to stay close to their job. People often look at the census data and say, "wow, OC has lots of rich people living there" but in reality the data is skewed. There are lots of wealthy cities but those cities have less people. Meanwhile the cities with lowest median incomes have the highest populations.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:16 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I didn't get a chance to watch it since I am moving, was it "eye opening"?
You move a lot.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I thought this documentary would be of interest to some of you on this forum. Since OC is so often shed in a positive "rich and wealthy" light, this documentary follows families in the service industry who can't even afford rent and live in motels.

HBO: Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County: Interview

Alexandra Pelosi tells untold story of homelessness in 'Motel Kids of Orange County' on HBO

The shows airs tonight on HBO.
More fodder for the mindless proletariat.
Don't believe half of this stuff I have known " award winning documentary film makers" all my life who churn out this kind of crap to subsidize their beach houses and mustangs.
Many people live and work in hotels ...why not make a film about them?
That whole area is like a giant hotel resort complex.
The real question you should be asking is why business can get away with such low pay? and why is there no adequate social safety net in place for the people that need it??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County