Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 PM

92 posts, read 267,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I thought most of those cheap OC motels were closed down. There used to be a bunch of them on Harbor Blvd. in the 80's.
Many motels were torn down. Mostly in Anaheim when Disneyland built California Adventure and the parking garage. My mom and her boyfriend lived in the Golden Forest motel on Katella that was torn down, but there are still plenty of motels in OC. Anybody who doesn't think that there are many families living in motels in OC is deluding themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman420 View Post
Many motels were torn down. Mostly in Anaheim when Disneyland built California Adventure and the parking garage. My mom and her boyfriend lived in the Golden Forest motel on Katella that was torn down, but there are still plenty of motels in OC. Anybody who doesn't think that there are many families living in motels in OC is deluding themselves.
My guess is also that some of those motels may have gotten renovated and went upscale - so that they can charge visitors a higher rate.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 PM

334 posts, read 915,415 times
I remember there used to be a lot of flophouse-type motels along Beach Blvd., from Buena Park all the way down towards Westminster. Yes, good old Beach Blvd...

I remember some friends of mine renting their first apartment on Beach in Stanton, it wasn't a motel, but it was a dump nonetheless. We used to sit out on the second-floor patio, drinking beer and watching the hookers sell their wares (ah, the simple life). But that was back in the early 90s.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:17 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
There are dozens or maybe hundreds of older motels scattered around the county that serve as temporary or intermediate term housing for lots of people, and not to serve tourists. Same story in nearly every large, expensive metro area in the USA, it's nothing unique to OC. That's where people stay when they show up in an area without much money, credit and references.

Now a more interesting story might be about all the people that live in cars, vans and RVs in OC. My local Walmart parking lot is home for quite a few of the same vehicles year round. They are careful not to bother anyone or draw any attention that would cause them to get kicked out. One guy has lived there in his old Saturn car for at least 6 or 7 years.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman420 View Post
Motels charge too much. Most couples would probably be better off renting rooms in a house. I've seen master bedrooms go for around $500 per month.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You move a lot.
He moved out of OC because apparently we couldn't understand his "form" of English.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
There are dozens or maybe hundreds of older motels scattered around the county that serve as temporary or intermediate term housing for lots of people, and not to serve tourists. Same story in nearly every large, expensive metro area in the USA, it's nothing unique to OC. That's where people stay when they show up in an area without much money, credit and references.

Now a more interesting story might be about all the people that live in cars, vans and RVs in OC. My local Walmart parking lot is home for quite a few of the same vehicles year round. They are careful not to bother anyone or draw any attention that would cause them to get kicked out. One guy has lived there in his old Saturn car for at least 6 or 7 years.
What about the homeless who don't have cars? Do they group together in homeless camps or do most of them simply hide out wherever they can?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:25 AM

334 posts, read 915,415 times
Quote:
What about the homeless who don't have cars? Do they group together in homeless camps or do most of them simply hide out wherever they can?
Up in Brea, quite a few seemed to camp in the bushes along the buffer areas that run alongside the freeway. Seems like it would be noisy to me, but I imagine it would also be a good place to be left alone.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:18 PM

92 posts, read 267,543 times
Quote:

I remember a story in the Orange County Register about 4 years ago where a family of homeless people had found a way to get inside of a freeway overpass and they were living inside the bridge in between the girder boxes for nearly a year. It was one of the overpasses over the 405 freeway in Fountain Valley. They probably could have lived there much longer, but while burning a fire to stay warm they lit the bridge on fire.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 AM

143 posts, read 431,435 times
These have been around for a very long time. Re: the master bedroom for $500.00. I doubt that most private residences wouldn't rent a room to a family of 4. I think these people are usually undocumented, no social security #, income under the table, day (or night) laborers, don't have money for security deposit, etc.

There is a beautiful restaurant in Anaheim called The White House. The owner makes 300 pasta dinners for the motel children every single evening. What a wonderful man.

Bill Handel on KFI radio had a fund raiser for him one Saturday morning to raise money for him to be able to continue the program. High end restaurants have taken quite a hit around here.

What I didn't know was the 'one room schoolhouse'. That is a bit baffling. They used to go to the nearest public schools like other kids. I have no idea why they don't now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County