Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Well MR. Intelligent, the title of this thread is “California not only bleeding jobs, companies too?” so if you don't like the responses and want to change the subject then start another thread . Its attitudes like yours that creates the problem in California. You either don’t understand the cause or you refuse to face it and continue voting in the same politicians...
People like you can either rail at others or maybe change some minds by arguing your point of view.

I might think more like you if you are willing to stop rolling your eyes and start communicating why people should consider why they should adopt more of your point of view.

A big difference in the political climate of CA is that liberals have actively persuaded others to adopt their POV whereas conservatives do little other than rail at, bash, accuse and blame those who don't hold their POV. No wonder you guys are still losing the ideological war here. You are unable to do what matters most- influence others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
People like you can either rail at others or maybe change some minds by arguing your point of view.

I might think more like you if you are willing to stop rolling your eyes and start communicating why people should consider why they should adopt more of your point of view.

A big difference in the political climate of CA is that liberals have actively persuaded others to adopt their POV whereas conservatives do little other than rail at, bash, accuse and blame those who don't hold their POV. No wonder you guys are still losing the ideological war here. You are unable to do what matters most- influence others.
How liberalism ruined California

Dennis Prager:
Virtually throughout its history, and certainly in the 20th century, California has been known as the place to go for dynamism and growth. It did not become the richest, most populous, and most productive state solely because of its weather and natural resources.

So it takes a lot to turn California around from growth to contraction, from people moving into the state to a net exodus from the state, from business moving into California to businesses leaving California.

It takes some doing.

And the Left has done it.

California’s Democratic legislature has been more or less able to do whatever it wants with California. The Wall Street Journal has described the result:

“The Golden State -- which a decade ago was the booming technology capital of the world -- has been done in by two decades of chronic overspending, overregulating and a hyperprogressive tax code.…”

One might argue that’s this is a politically biased assessment. So here are some facts, not assessments:
  • California’s state expenditures grew from $104 billion in 2003 to $145 billion in 2008.
  • California has the worst credit rating in the nation.
  • California has the fourth highest unemployment rate in the nation, 9.3 percent -- higher even than the car manufacturing state of Michigan.
  • California has the second highest home foreclosure rate.
  • California’s tax-paying middle class is leaving the state. California’s net loss last year in state-to-state migration exceeded every other state's. New York, another Left-run state, was second.
  • Since 2000, California’s job growth rate -- which in the late 1970s was many times higher than the national average -- has lagged behind the national average by almost 20 percent.
  • California has lost 25 percent of its industrial work force since 2001.
Joel Kotkin, one of the leading observers of urban America, the presidential fellow in urban futures at Chapman University, recently wrote an essay on California, “Sundown for California.” He begins with these words:

“Twenty-five years ago, along with another young journalist, I co-authored a book called “California, Inc.” about our adopted home state. The book described ‘California’s rise to economic, political, and cultural ascendancy’...But today our Golden State appears headed, if not for imminent disaster, then toward an unanticipated, maddening, and largely unnecessary mediocrity.”

That is what left-wing policies have done to California. In Kotkin’s words, “the state legislature decided to spend its money on public employees and impose ever more regulatory burdens on business.”

Last week, Intel, the world’s largest maker of computer chips, announced that it would invest $7 billion to expand its facilities. Where? In Arizona, Oregon, and New Mexico. But not in California, the state in which Intel is headquartered.

The Left is bringing the greatest state to its knees.

There is more.

Prager has an important message because what liberals did for California they are trying to do for the rest of the country.

I do have a problem with his last quoted sentence. At this point Texas is a greater state than California and is becoming the home of more companies because it has rejected liberalism.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Have any of you morons bashing CA actually lived in Kentucky, Arkansas or other run down, poverty stricken, environmentally lax states?
We moved to a state that would likely be considered one of those unfortunate places by you and apologists like you. Amazingly enough, we have clean water, tons of it, and the air is far cleaner and more pleasant than southern, central and most of northern California. We're also far greener in terms of plant life and don't have endless forest and brush fires desiccating the landscape.

While the economy is hurting us a bit it's nothing like the fiscal fallout California is experiencing. Somehow we continue along without the nanny government, hundreds of new laws every year and over-regulation that characterize California and our populace is delightfully independent and self-sufficient. It keeps government off our backs and out of our hip pockets and that's the way we like it. We're not dependent upon a bunch of professional, self-serving politicians to tell us what and how to think. We do so for ourselves with a part-time, citizen legislature that manages to exist without car allowances, ridiculous per diem and high pay. Imagine that!

Oh, yeah. And we have the Rams! Y'all couldn't even keep them.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 02-08-2011 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Home prices are cheap, but guess what? You are stuck in Missouri! Ha ha ha! I lived in that hell-hole you now call home for two years.

Groceries are about the same. My winter heating bill here is running about $16/month. My winter heating bill in Missouri was about $120/month. Since I live by the beach, I don't need air conditioning (for those who don't know, Missouri Summers are brutal).

I don't miss mowing the lawn in 90 degree heat at 9 in the morning getting chewed up by mosquitos and other nasties.

I don't miss shoveling snow.

I don't miss hearing the "n" word in churches.

I don't miss being called a liberal, Obama voting, n--g-- lover by some Methed out Hillbilly because I still had california plates on my car.

I will take the scenery and variety of natural amenities of CA over Missouri whose largest natural lake is a small oxbow lake just west of St. Louis and whose highest mountain peak is less than 900 feet from summit to base.

Try buying a new car. Dealers are not allowed to take care of the registration process. On top of it you have to go to the revenue office and pay the entire sales tax up front. Then you have to go to the DMV office to register it.

And try to get service from anyone in the private of public sector. They'll get around to it sooner or later and when you get service it will be incomplete and half-arsed.

How are those personal property taxes treating you? Did you know I could not use my outboards in Missouri because I could not provide a certificate of title so that I could pay extra for outboard registration.

And Missouri is not immune to corrupt politicians and 100s of new laws per year.

Most of the new energy laws in California are designed to ween us off foreign oil, something that almost every says they want. But the rednecks of Mid-America can't see that and continue to build myopic roadblocks to progress.

I can't think of any politician that ever told me how to think. The scarier part is the group-think mindset of Missouri. Try doing anything a bit different than what is considered "normal".

And you can keep the Rams.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
All the rhetoric aside, DP, my guess is that your dislike of and inability to abibe in Missouri had a lot more to do with you than it did with anything having to do with the state.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
All the rhetoric aside, DP, my guess is that your dislike of and inability to abibe in Missouri had a lot more to do with you than it did with anything having to do with the state.
Bull. You don't know me. I had no problem living in other "redneck/bubba" states (Western PA-3.5 years, West Virginia - 4.5 years).

Missouri was just the most-arse backwards and ugliest states that I ever lived in.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
How liberalism ruined California

Dennis Prager:....
This is only more blaming, accusing, bashing and trashing- and by someone else.

I'm sure it was cathartic, though.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
This is only more blaming, accusing, bashing and trashing- and by someone else.

I'm sure it was cathartic, though.
It doesn't go into deregulation schemes of the Conservative/Libertarians.

Bottom line is CA is not going to collapse of become part of Mexico.

There is still plenty of private capital around. The weak, moochers and selfish are leaving (good!). Those that choose to stay will build a stronger state.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:49 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
A Californian calling another state poverty stricken is the pot calling the kettle black. California has a rapidly shrinking middle class and a more slowly yet shrinking upper class. At the same time the state is experiencing an influx of poor unskilled immigrants, whom in turn have no way and no incentive to excel. They come to a state with a pathetic public K-12 educational system, extraordinarily generous welfare benefits, a large drug trade, and few low skill jobs because of the draconian environmental regulations, high taxes, and high wages.

Kentucky and many of the Southern states had long adopted this populist economic model. It dates back all the way to the founding of our country. The South continued on their populist economic path and ended up losing the civil war, never gained a manufacturing base, and never built real infrastructure. Today it seems they've learned their lesson and now it seems that the south is adopting the industrialist model while a select Midwestern and many coastal states are adopting the failed populist economic model.

Do you really think that California's university system is really that much better than Colorado's or Texas' or Arizona's or Utah's anymore? Do you really think that California's highway system can compare to Texas'? California has fallen behind.

All of the jobs and human capital will continue to flow to business friendly states with predictable regulatory environments and more simple tax structures. Washington (state), Texas, Tennessee, and Virginia are loving it.
Oh please have you ever even been to any of the damn states you are listing? I HAVE! I've been to KY, TN, TX, etc. CA may have illegals and poor immigrants i.e. Mexicans.....but there are as many unskilled whites, blacks AND MEXICANS in just about every state nowadays. Don't be so dumb and naive as to think all the Mexicans are sitting around in CA. They are flocking like rats to every corner of the USA. Go to CO, MT, MI, even MAINE and you will Mexicans both legal and illegal, invading and destroying small communities the country over. Look at FL and the Haitians. Same thing different culture. My point wasn't to argue which state is better. That's stupid. CA does some things very well. We have some of the most beautifully and well protected wildnerness areas in the world. Ever been to TN? KY? TX? There is **** there as far as National Parks and huge tracts of protected wilderness. Just look on a map and you can see what I'm talking about.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:28 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
It doesn't go into deregulation schemes of the Conservative/Libertarians.

Bottom line is CA is not going to collapse of become part of Mexico.

There is still plenty of private capital around. The weak, moochers and selfish are leaving (good!). Those that choose to stay will build a stronger state.
No one said CA would collapse but it will fall to wayside. Business goes to the places that are good for the bottom line. Is CA good for the bottom line? You tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County