Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 PM

143 posts, read 431,405 times

Advertisements

My daughter spent 5 1/2 years in Dallas in a pretty high-profile job. She absolutely loved the people there and they were just wonderful to her. She was 28 when she arrived, and 34 when she moved back to LA. Yay for me!!

She worked with the Cowboys, Stars, Susan B. Komen and Make A Wish foundations. That said, she came home every 6 weeks or so to "find her peace" with the ocean and sand. She is back home now (thank you) in a great job.

Texas is a very Republican, Cowboy, carry-a-pistol, kind of state. Orange County, CA is very laid back, moderate-Republican, surf-and-sand kind of environment. I'm from Dallas, and it is flat, flat, flat. Someone posted before about the mountains there, but I'm not sure where. It's been about 25 years since I lived there, and 2 years since I visited my daughter, but I don't remember ANY mountains.

Orange County has beaches for surfing, trails for running/jogging, the ocean for boating. AND you can be in Lake Arrowhead in an hour and a half, Mammoth in a few hours. Plus Rancho Santa Fe, Coronado, Alpine, Temecula.....No bugs, no flies, no roaches. OK, maybe a few, but my patio door is open all summer long for barbecues. I live by the beach and hear the ocean every day/night. No air conditioning, and only 2-3 weeks of heating.

But it is expensive. No matter how bad the economy gets, it is ALWAYS expensive to live close to the ocean. Or in Irvine, which is a town that behaves like beach areas.

No advice here. Just a lot of years and experience in both areas. Dallas is very cool and very urban. And much cheaper to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Texas sucks! I do not suggest living there! California and OC offers way more than Texas ever will. The only thing Texas has more of then California is cowboys, guns, horses, and republicans. If those are to your liking (along with hot and humid weather) then move to Texas. California and OC has so much beauty and amazing weather. California is also more accepting of everyone then Texas is.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM

370 posts, read 999,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
Texas sucks! I do not suggest living there! California and OC offers way more than Texas ever will. The only thing Texas has more of then California is cowboys, guns, horses, and republicans. If those are to your liking (along with hot and humid weather) then move to Texas. California and OC has so much beauty and amazing weather. California is also more accepting of everyone then Texas is.
What part of Texas ?

Texas has the Best BBQ, Tex-Mex ....
Food here is unbelievable !
Irvine is strip mall chain food capital.

Austin is MUCH more laid back, and people friendly then OC.
Irvine is the Snob capital

Austin is the Live Music Capital, great atmosphere
"Keep Austin Weird" is the city slogan
This is a Mega fun town
Great atmosphere
Cycling, kayaking, golfing, swimming, endless entertainment
Think there are like 400 miles of coastline here.
Lake Travis, Lake Austin, Barton Springs.
Lakes are more fun then the ocean

Below are some pics

Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 PM

Reasons to hate Texas:
The weather (hot, sunny, hot, hail, hot, wet, hot, sunny, hot, humid, hot)
The bugs (if it bites or stings, it lives here)
The pollen (all kinds, all year)
The highways (obviously designed by a drunk with a marker)
The drivers (honestly, learn to use a turn signal and try a little courtesy)
The food (why is there gravy or barbeque sauce on everything?)
The politics (no, no one else thinks G.W.Bush was a genius)
The schools (substandard educations, a “Texas pledge” and moment of silence every day!)
The death penalty (and how often its carried out)
The rednecks (why can’t they tolerate diversity?)
The oversized vehicles (totally unnecssary)
The water (barely potable)
The religious zealots (megachurches!)

Reasons to like Texas:
Housing prices (really, really low)
The occasional really nice person (and some Texans are the nicest people on earth)

There are so many reasons to hate Texas – where to begin?
Its social policies – like the regressive sales tax, rather than an income tax; farming out the mentally handicapped to work at Henry’s Turkey Service; dropping off a woman newly released from a mental institution at a bus station (she died). I could go on and on.
But on a less lofty note, the “cuisine” there is revolting. The 4 food groups are fat, fat, fat, and fat. Chicken fried steak, that disgusting white gravy also on biscuits. If it’s not smothered in white gravy, then buckets of queso have been poured over it. And the side dish is your choice of french fries or onion rings.

Texas is such a miserable State.

I visited Texas about 3 months ago and all I saw is just plain empty flat land.

I remember passing by San Angelo, Texas. If you are from a state like New York, Illinois or California, you would expect for San Angelo, Texas to be a nice big civilized city, but all I saw was just plain empty land with hickorish rednecks residentials living in that community or whatever you call that miserable place. For me, just hearing the word Texas depresses me. Once you leave Texas, You might have that effect on hearing the word Texas, so damn depressing the word Texas. If you visit their big major cities like Houston or Dallas, Those cities aren’t civilized and the people in those Texas major cities like to lock themselves up. The people in Texas are not friendly to socialize with. These Texans are full of lies. The state is full of insects and hills which they are not really mountains as what these Texans refer them as, they are just plain rocky hills..

Texas is such a miserable place. Why people move to Texas is because of the houses. The price is cheap but Texas is miserable. Too many rednecks live in that State (Texas) and the people of course are so patriotic and full of pride in that miserable land.

You go to A&M (Agriculture And Mechanics) and all you find is a lot of white farmers and country boys. It would be nice building a huge brick wall all around Texas so we don’t have to look at that miserable state. I would buy that. You know when you are in Texas when you see the Texas flag raised at the same level as the American Flag.

Texans. Lack of self awareness. Isolationistic in thought. Kind of like someone who was raised under a rock, but the rock was big, so they boast about how big the rock was. There’s more, but, man, it’s so sad – and they don’t even know it!

There are two seasons in Tx, hot and hotter. There is a third if you count the hurricane season. A fourth if you count squirrel season.

Over industrialization of undesirable industries. Yes, when you visit TX, you get the full impact of what a cesspool they’ve made out of their state with factories, oil refineries, and chemical plants. Don’t get me wrong, it is good somebody is manufacturing this stuff out there, but, man, you’ve got to be six flags short of a theme park to live amongst the stench-filled, chemical run-off, heat-fest that is TX.

Worst humidity and dew point. Yes it is true. Houston is tied with annual averages for the worst humidity and dew point in the united states per NOAA. In a nutshell, it’s like a sauna. A constant sauna for 7 months out of the year. so is hell.

No mountains. TX is beautiful with flat dusty fields of dry dirt for 100′s of miles until you get to some hills with nice folks with guns. Texas is a great place to drive thru on your way to somewhere else.

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 01-26-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Reasons to hate Texas:

The weather (hot, sunny, hot, hail, hot, wet, hot, sunny, hot, humid, hot)
It's freezing here, has been for 6 weeks (Summer is hot, EVERYWHERE)

Quote:
The bugs (if it bites or stings, it lives here)
No bugs in OC, I had lots, And other, Coyotes grabbed a womans
Dog right from here leash in Irvine. Mountain Lions, remember the
attacks a few years ago. Snakes and other (I lived on the Tustin golf course)
Quote:
The pollen (all kinds, all year)
ALL YEAR ? I don't even notice it myself

Quote:
The highways (obviously designed by a drunk with a marker)
Isn't I-5, and I-405 rated the worst for congetsion ?
Ever heard of the "Orange Crush" ? where the highways all combing in Orange

Quote:
The food (why is there gravy or barbeque sauce on everything?)
There is ?
Maybe everyone just kept spittin on your food, you are kind of Whiney.
That don't play well here.
Although Whining is the National Anthem in OC

Quote:
The politics (no, no one else thinks G.W.Bush was a genius)
Not compared to Arnold Schwarzenegger !
Who's the next Governor, Lindasy Lohan, or Paris Hilton ?

Quote:
The schools (substandard educations, a “Texas pledge” and moment of silence every day!)
In Austin ? Houston ? Both are Think tanks compared to OC
There are no Brains in OC (Silicon Valley yes, OC ? nfw )

Quote:
The death penalty (and how often its carried out)
We punish bad people.
O.J. ?
Robert Blake ?
Southern California couldn't convict a Criminal if he confessed.

Quote:
The rednecks (why can’t they tolerate diversity?)
"Rednecks" are farmers, see Riverside and San Bernadino, and
the majority of California. Do you know how big farming is in California ?

Quote:
The oversized vehicles (totally unnecssary)
We're in America, it's a free country

Quote:
The water (barely potable)
I wouldn't drink it out of the faucet myself, anywhere for that matter.

Quote:
The religious zealots (megachurches!)
I don't know any, don't care, we're in America, it's a free country.
Worship whatever you want.

Quote:
Its social policies – like the regressive sales tax, rather than an income tax;
Between State, and income tax, I paid $4000+ last year
In OC, I paid $13,000+
Which would you rather have ???

Quote:
But on a less lofty note, the “cuisine” there is revolting.
Where did you eat ?
Did it taste like spit ?

Quote:
I visited Texas about 3 months ago and all I saw is just plain empty flat land.
I live in the hilly part of Austin, right next to "Hill Country"
Irvine is not flat ?
OC is not flat ?
The MAJORITY of California is not flat ????

Quote:
I remember passing by San Angelo, Texas. ....
Have you been to San Bernadino ???

Quote:
just hearing the word Texas depresses me
Texas Texas Texas Texas Texas :-)

Quote:
If you visit their big major cities like Houston or Dallas, Those cities aren’t civilized
Huh ?

Quote:
The people in Texas are not friendly to socialize with or to live with.
Ever here of "Southern Hospitality"
Texas is ultra friendly.
Were you spit on ?

Quote:
These Texans are full of BS and lies.
Do you know most people from the North East that move to OC, and then
move out for two reasons.
1) The people are Too PHONEY
2) they miss the 4 seasons

Quote:
Texans. Lack of self awareness. Isolationistic in thought. Kind of like someone who was raised under a rock, but the rock was big, so they boast about how big the rock was. There’s more, but, man, it’s so sad – and they don’t even know it!
Pot ... Kettle ... Black
Are there any people more mailable and naive is an OC resident ???

Quote:
Worst humidity and dew point. Yes it is true. Houston is tied with annual averages for the worst humidity and dew point in the united states per NOAA. In a nutshell, it’s like a sauna. A constant sauna for 7 months out of the year. so is hell.
SEVEN MONTHS ???
4 max
Houston is a Sauna

Old 01-26-2011, 09:16 PM

whatever. Texas sucks. i'm sure you are one of those Texans who is a native and thinks Texas is some heavenly place when really it isn't. Only for rednecks and the poor (who can't afford California)

OC has beautiful beaches. Plus it's between San Diego and L.A. which is a major plus. Close to the desert, mountain skiing, and the ocean! Can't say that in Texas.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
whatever. Texas sucks. i'm sure you are one of those Texans who is a native and thinks Texas is some heavenly place when really it isn't. Only for rednecks and the poor (who can't afford California)

OC has beautiful beaches. Plus it's between San Diego and L.A. which is a major plus. Close to the desert, mountain skiing, and the ocean! Can't say that in Texas.
I just moved to Austin 2 years.

Spent the 5 previous years in Tustin California.
I know Orange County

Being between San Diego and L.A. is why I moved there.
That is a major plus.

None of Texas borders the ocean ?
Austin has like 400 miles of Coastline.
Beautiful clean lakes.

Have you ever been here ?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 PM

Hill Country is nothing to be proud of especially when you came from a place with real mountains like these:

It wouldn't be hard to pick OC over Texas.

It's like choosing a Jacuzzi with palm trees and hot ladies (OC) or a hot, humid, cesspool (Texas)

Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Hill Country is nothing to be proud of especially when you came from a place with real mountains like these:

It wouldn't be hard to pick OC over Texas.

It's like choosing a Jacuzzi with palm trees and hot ladies (OC) or a hot, humid, cesspool (Texas)
Those mountains are in OC ?

I don't see any signs of life in those mountains ...
What do you do with them in Irvine ?

Maybe it's the fact that OC is like a bowl of cereal...
What isn't fruits and nuts is flakes.
That and the whining,

Maybe that's why everyone is exiting California

Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
I just moved to Austin 2 years.

Spent the 5 previous years in Tustin California.
I know Orange County

Being between San Diego and L.A. is why I moved there.
That is a major plus.

None of Texas borders the ocean ?
Austin has like 400 miles of Coastline.
Beautiful clean lakes.

Have you ever been here ?
It does border ocean. Ocean that attracts bugs of all kinds along with hurricanes. Oh and don't forget Southern California and California as a whole has a lot more scenic and breathtaking shoreline then Texas. Ever been on the PCH?

Plus the Pacific has more waves then the Gulf. The Gulf only has waves when hurricanes hit them LOL.

Pollution Rankings: By Counties in TEXAS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County