Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We referred to that development as "WalMart View Estates at Trash Truck Crossing" lol!

Oh, nice use of developer buzzwords. Extra credit would have been awarded for working in "Mills" or some grammatically correct but nonsense Spanish.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 05-03-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:25 PM

108 posts, read 361,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
But being cooped up a good part of the winter probably sucks.

And having kids on a five acre lot must be fun too when the nearest kid is 1/4 mile away and half your neighbors are either childless (retired) or insular and anti-social (They don't like people: "Get off my property") because otherwise they wouldn't have purchase a five acre lot in the first place.

"Man I wish my parents bought a home in a normal subdivision so I had some other kids to play with"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
Personally I think I would be depressed in that type of environment, away from civilization. As with all real estate, there are pro and cons.
Everyone is different and want different things and yes, the winters do make you appreciate CA weather.

My neighbors are only a couple hundred feet away and you have to remember, it isn't California so there isn't the "Get off my lawns kids" attitude here. There are a few kids on our street but our kids have most of their friends at school, but they have sleep overs and "play dates" at one place or another all the time...the kids freakin' love it.

As I stated in an a different thread, I grew up in Santa Ana(the nice area) as a white kid and had 3 good friends...one vietnamese, one black, and one mexican. BUT, they all treated me like crap when their cousins or same race friends were around. One friends older brother would answer the door pull his pants down and bend over and spread his cheeks and yell "sorry *** white boy" everytime and came over to play.

We had one night where all the Toyota trucks in the nieghborhood had their tail gates stolen.

Had a stereo stolen out of the garage after walking inside for 5 minutes.

My brother had his brand new beach cruiser stolen out of the garage in the middle of the night and replaced with a piece of crap bike by the thief!

^^ This was in Sandpointe...the nice part!!!

Yeah, you can have a $4,000 a month payment for a shack in a neighborhood with kids like that and the constant threat of having your belongings stolen. I'll take being cooped up for a while in the winter and spare my kids the hassle.

But, to each his own...the weather is freakin' awesome in CA for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My cousin just bought or is trying to, a Short Sale in Torrance/Gardena area which is the L.A. school district. the house was built in 1942 is 2 bedrooms, 1 bath and 845 sq ft: the cost, $285,000.

Nita
Exactly...

Old 05-03-2011, 01:32 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Oh, nice use of developer buzzwords. Extra credit would have been awarded for working in "Mills" or some grammatically correct but nonsense Spanish.
lol! Or work in "Preserve" somewhere. Must be nice to think you ran off a bunch of endangered species to live in your McMansion. Or maybe the McMansion dwellers are the endangered species?

"Peak View Mills Ranch of La Lomatilla - Preserve Phase"

Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
lol! Or work in "Preserve" somewhere.
Like 'The Preserves' over in Chino? Don't get me wrong, the community does have everything ... umm, desireable?

Big house/small lots? Check.
Mello Roos? Check.
HOA from the developer? Check.
HOA from the community clubhouse? Check.
High tension power lines to the south? Check.
The fresh scent of cowpie every morning from the nearby dairy farms? Check.
Convenience to the airport? Check.
Convenience to the mens, womens, and juvenile prisons? Check.

I mean, what's not to love about it?

Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO2.0 View Post
Thank you for posting this. Anytime I think about missing southern CA I can just think of posts like this and then think of my $300K, 3,000 sq foot house on 5 acres in an award winning school district in Eastern WA.

Maybe the snow up here isn't so bad.
What about jobs? It's a great place to retire, but what if you need to earn a living?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
What about jobs? It's a great place to retire, but what if you need to earn a living?
Bring your own job because there aren't any well-paying ones sitting there waiting for you.

It's a very welfare-dependent place, unfortunately.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Like 'The Preserves' over in Chino?
They're Preserving the smell of cow ****, not to mention those clouds of flies.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
But being cooped up a good part of the winter probably sucks.

And having kids on a five acre lot must be fun too when the nearest kid is 1/4 mile away and half your neighbors are either childless (retired) or insular and anti-social (They don't like people: "Get off my property") because otherwise they wouldn't have purchase a five acre lot in the first place.

"Man I wish my parents bought a home in a normal subdivision so I had some other kids to play with"
This was me at 13. My hillbilly dad thought it was a great idea to sell our perfectly nice home in a normal neighborhood in Oakdale, CA and move to 15 acres in Mariposa County. There wasn't a kid my age within a mile of the place and the few neighbors we had were retired seniors. The nearest town was Mariposa (population 1,000) and it was seven miles away. Before you selfishly move to the boondocks think about your kids and their socialization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County