Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Example, Drive from Norwalk (LA County) to Anaheim (OC) what is the difference?
VERY easy to tell.

When you are driving north on the 5 the fake mountain with the painted snow on top is on your left.

When you are driving south on the 5 the fake mountain with the painted snow on top is on your right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
@ matzo - To an outsider it may be all considered metro Los Angeles but we originally got on this topic because you stated as a "matter of fact" that Orange County was a suburb of LA. I counered this by citing the cultural, geographical, and historical differences - and the identity that people feel with these two distinct areas. Sure a first time visitor won't understand these intricacies, however it seemed that you were stating that OC was a suburb of LA without viewing it through the lens of a visitor. You say that OC is a suburb because the demarcation lines have been blurred and I suppose that makes all smaller cities or areas "suburbs" of the big town. By that logic - WASHINGTON D.C. and BOSTON are suburbs of NEW YORK CITY! Northeast megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Good point. For those familiar with the East Coast, would you say Baltimore is a suburb of Washington or Washington is a suburb of Baltimore? (Even tho they are 40 miles apart, I'd say neither is a suburb of the other.)

Old 01-12-2012, 08:28 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Ok matzo - i think we are on the same page and bowneline said it very well. Los Angeles and OC combine to form a metro area but OC is not a suburb. You posted above that you don't consider OC a suburb - and I'm glad you clarified that because according to the above quote. it sounded like you did consider it a suburb. That was in response to O'l Wanderer saying "no wonder people consider OC a suburb of LA".

Anyways I understand, and you are absolutely right. Outside LA Metro area - people consider everything part of LA. This likely includes Apple Valley - which I would consider blasphemy if an area resident said so!
...And then there is "Southern CA"... Is San Diego part of Southern CA, or just the LA metro?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:18 AM

662 posts, read 1,282,259 times
LA is simply too economically weak to be considered the center of southern california. It's the most famous and oldest city, so Metro "LA" is apt. But I don't think even any of the cities even in LA county could be considered one of it's suburbs. It's just simply not an important destination for many in soCal.

More people travel from LA to OC for work than OC-ers travel to LA, as reported in a 2009 survey. Economically, it's healthier than LA.

I can understand if outsiders think it's a suburb of LA, because they think it's like NYC's central role like over on the east coast. They think all of socal is LA. They have no idea just how big it is.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
The main cultural difference between Los Angeles and OC: OC has left turn arrows/lanes.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
LA is simply too economically weak to be considered the center of southern california. It's the most famous and oldest city, so Metro "LA" is apt. But I don't think even any of the cities even in LA county could be considered one of it's suburbs. It's just simply not an important destination for many in soCal.

More people travel from LA to OC for work than OC-ers travel to LA, as reported in a 2009 survey. Economically, it's healthier than LA.

I can understand if outsiders think it's a suburb of LA, because they think it's like NYC's central role like over on the east coast. They think all of socal is LA. They have no idea just how big it is.
LA is the largest city in the region and the county seat. That ensures its prominence.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:38 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
...And then there is "Southern CA"... Is San Diego part of Southern CA, or just the LA metro?
I would consider San Diego part of Southern california. This is purely in a geographical sense - it is in the southern portion of the state. A huge debate rages over where the line dividing northern and southern california is, but San Diego is securely in souther california (or perhaps it is in northern Mexico).

Southern California as an idea conjures up Los Angeles and Orange County in the minds of outsiders, i think. They would simply think of San Diego as a separate entity outside the LA-centric view of Southern california. To these people it would not register if you said you went to southern california but did not go to the beach. Barstow counts as SC to me but not to an outsider.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 PM

23 posts, read 65,432 times
Well...

i KNOW you all say... take THE 405 to THE 55 west... I know I do...

so what's the big deal about saying THEE OC?

not that I do, I just don't understand the fuss.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times
Quote:
I would consider San Diego part of Southern california. This is purely in a geographical sense - it is in the southern portion of the state. A huge debate rages over where the line dividing northern and southern california is, but San Diego is securely in souther california (or perhaps it is in northern Mexico).

Southern California as an idea conjures up Los Angeles and Orange County in the minds of outsiders, i think. They would simply think of San Diego as a separate entity outside the LA-centric view of Southern california. To these people it would not register if you said you went to southern california but did not go to the beach. Barstow counts as SC to me but not to an outsider.
San Diego is not Northern MexicoBut yes, I think LA, SD, OC, and up to Santa Barbara would be Southern California. at least in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:51 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
San Diego is not Northern Mexico.
I hope you realize I said that "tongue -in-cheeck".

!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County