Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,339 times

Advertisements

Relocate from TX to Orange County
I recently accept a job near dowtown in city of Orange. We have two kids (one is going to high school and one is in middle school). We want to rent first in Orange county and then buy a house next year. Here are my questions:

1) Need to find a area with good schools for both of my kids.
2) area has good swimming team club nearby.
3) good neighborhood for family.
4) not far away from downtown Orange in terms of morning commute.

We want to stay at the same area after we buy house so we don't have to change schools. Our household income is around 150K so just want a afforable area to raise a family.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 09:12 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,063 times
I'd recommend the east side of Orange toward Villa Park-north of Katella, east of the 55 freeway.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
There are not a lot of areas with "good" schools that you can afford on $150K.

Orange has decent schools but probably not qulaified as "good" Old town orange is a neat place to live. The tustin Foothills has better schools and is a nice area. I am not sure what you could get in there on $150K. I think the rule of thumb is three times your annual income, and you will not get much anywhere for $450,000. Do you ahve a big downpayment? If you can put $200K down, you have lots of options.

One of the best high schools i OC is in Fullerton (Troy high school). It is a charter school and very competitive to get in. It remains very competitive once you are in and may not be beneficial for all types of students. If private shool is an option, there are some very good private schools in Orange. There are two big lutheran school, the tiny El Durado school for gifted children, and a few others.

Otherwise it is just not there. Too many people come here and say "I want a super safe, family oriented community with great schools and large lots and a lot of parks. Preferably no more than a mile from the ocean. It also has to be afforable. And I want it to have a lot of character (no cookie cutter) and a wlkable downtown."

That is a nice fantasy, but those things just do not go together. Wha tis most important to you? Affordibility? Schools? Distance? Swimming program? family neighborhood?

Pick one maybe two of your wants and let the rest go. you will nto find the compbination otherwise.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,339 times
Great advise, Thanks!

I have further questions based on info you provided.

1) Schools: I don't want go to "Troy". My kids are slightly above average so I would rather go to average school to be "top" student rather "top" school" as bottom student. So I looked Tustin school and compared Tustin high and Beckman high. I'm kind of like THS but not sure school is safe or not. There are some rentals near both schools which I can afford.

2) If I live somewhere near these two schools ( I'm not sure about the neighborhood around THS), is the morning /afternoon commute to Orange downtown easy or terrible? is about 6 to 7 miles drive.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 PM

72 posts, read 322,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromtxtoca View Post
2) If I live somewhere near these two schools ( I'm not sure about the neighborhood around THS), is the morning /afternoon commute to Orange downtown easy or terrible? is about 6 to 7 miles drive.
I found from the Northwood area of Irvine, which is somewhat southeast of Beckman HS (and Tustin), to the Orange Plaza averaged 23 minutes during peak traffic periods. That worked about the same for either surface streets of using I-5 and the 55 freeways. Off peak maybe averaged 15 minutes. You have to decide is that's easy or terrible by your standards, but it was fine with me. I often used my bike. The nice thing about that commute is that there are many possible routes to take if there's an accident on your preferred route.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM

I think that Tustin Foothill High School is a somewhat better school, and the area is nicer. The tustin foothill area is pretty neat. Naturally, it will be somewhat more expensive too.

Nice or terrible commute depends on what you are used to. Frankly, I do not want to go anywhere during rush hour in OC. Can you ride a bicycle?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,229 times
Tustin high and foothill high are two different schools.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 12,096 times
As a rule west (or southwest to be more accurate) of the 5 freeway is more desirable. Taking it one step further west of the 405 freeway even more so, (the two come together mid county however). The pricies will follow suit though. In my opion avoid south county towns like San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point, and San Clemente as they are not really bedroom communities and are better suited for recreation.

Ladera Ranch, Foothill ranch are newer communities, but more congested when it comes to the type of structures people will live in. If you are used to a lot of green around your house you better have a lot of "green" in you wallet.

I live in Laguna Hills, in a (california) affordable condo, not attached, west of the 405/5 freeway interchage. It's small but for my wife and I it's enough space. You do more living outdooors here anyway.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
Tustin high and foothill high are two different schools.
IF you are commenting on my post. that iswhat I said. Foothillis better than tustin. THey have to be two different schools for one of them to be better. However there is another foothill high school that is not in Tustin, so I refer to it as Tustin Foothill so it does nto get confused with the other one.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 AM

590 posts, read 1,249,229 times
Ah. Get it. Tho actually foothill high is in the unincorporated area. So actually is not in Tustin. Maybe the made up name of north Tustin. Which some are choosing to use. We live in lemon heights. And stll use Santa Ana. Tho I love to see some snobby people's face when I say we live in santa Ana!

Tho our 2 doors down neighbors house is on the market for 1.2 million. Not bad for Santa Ana huh?

Tustin high is not in what I would call my fave. Area

Guess I am a snob?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County