Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM

37 posts, read 67,004 times

Advertisements

I got a very nice job offer in San Clemente, my wife and I would like to live in Irvine or closer to Irvine due to our school choice, we need to send our 2 kids to a specific school in Irvine that meet their needs, also because we like the Irvine area and we do have relatives and friends there as well which is nice.

so is it practical to live in Irvine and commute to San Clemente on a daily basis, my job for the most part would be a M-F 8-5. do you guys recommend a certain part or Irvine (or areas close by) for family-friendly housing. The school is just east to the I-5 and north to 133.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Check Sigalert.com Irving Traffic Map and google maps traffic DURING the time you expect to commute and for you that would be between 7AM and 8AM. Get familiar with those patterns. Otherwise, it isn't too far to drive but the traffic might be bad.

Tip: Check out Traffic Predict.com - Los Angeles Traffic Map and also use Google Maps Traffic "At Time And Day" to get some past traffic data for the times you are interested in.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
It could be a hassle. What time do the kids go to school? Maybe it would be better to live in San Clemente and drive the kids to Irvine. San Clemente is a much nicer lifestyle IMO.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to figure out the traffic pattern but it's kind of difficult to get that info from the traffic maps.

what I need to know is the typical direction of congestion (Irvine to San Clemente vs. San Clemente to Irvine) at 7-8 AM then 5-6 PM. which direction is more congested typically? this will help us decide if it makes more sense to live closer to San Clemente or Irvine.

I appreciate the help guys!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledo1611 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to figure out the traffic pattern but it's kind of difficult to get that info from the traffic maps.

what I need to know is the typical direction of congestion (Irvine to San Clemente vs. San Clemente to Irvine) at 7-8 AM then 5-6 PM. which direction is more congested typically? this will help us decide if it makes more sense to live closer to San Clemente or Irvine.

I appreciate the help guys!

I frequently drive from Irvine to San Diego - passing San Clemente - at all hours. Traffic to San Clemente in the a.m. and from in the p.m. is minimal - by So Cal rush hour standards, that is. Most folks are coming from the south to Irvine & points beyond in the morning and heading back in the p.m, so you will have on eof the few "reverse commutes" in So Cal.

It will take you 25-30 minutes to get to SC in the a.m. and same getting back in p.m. Only exception is friday nights when alot of folks are coming up to LA/OC from San Diego and trafic is thicker, but still I'd put your worst case scenario at 45 minutes, and there is always the 73 toll road to use if there is an accident or major issue in the I-5. Its a very do-able commute.

Good Luck

Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledo1611 View Post
I got a very nice job offer in San Clemente, my wife and I would like to live in Irvine or closer to Irvine due to our school choice, we need to send our 2 kids to a specific school in Irvine that meet their needs, also because we like the Irvine area and we do have relatives and friends there as well which is nice.

so is it practical to live in Irvine and commute to San Clemente on a daily basis, my job for the most part would be a M-F 8-5. do you guys recommend a certain part or Irvine (or areas close by) for family-friendly housing. The school is just east to the I-5 and north to 133.

Thank you!
Irvine to San Clemente in the AM and then back is a very doable trip since you'll be going opposite the heaviest traffic. I live just south of Irvine, but also regularly travel down to northern San Diego County. It takes me about 45 minutes each way and, for the most part, the trip is a breeze.

Returning in the evening, traffic does tend to slow in San Clemente, but it's not too bad. Past San Clemente, I admit that I get off the 5 and take the 73 home because, for some reason or another, NB 5 traffic seems to slow again in the 5/73 area during the PM rush hour (I also take the 73SB in the morning because it's so convenient for me).

I say go or it.

Last edited by pacific2; 10-03-2012 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Sounds like an easy commute by CA standards.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate this information.

on another note, are there any areas in Irvine that you recommend for housing, and any areas to stay away from? we are married with 2 kids (7 & 5), I'm looking for a 3-4 bedroom house or townhouse, trying to limit the rental budget to < $3500 but can push it up if we have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County