Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM

224 posts, read 495,576 times

Advertisements

It's been a few years since we've been down to south OC so my knowledge of this area is dated. I need some restaurant recs for south OC by the beach. Recs for both 1) ROMANTIC and 2) FAMILY-FRIENDLY.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
How far south?

Romantic and family friendly? . . . .

I am just not sure how romantic a dinner cna be with a bunch of screaming children throwing food at you.

Not really sure what you have in mind here. Can you give an example of a type of resturaunt that meets your criteria. Red Robin? Applebees? Dennys? Claim Jumper?

The closest I can think of to possibly meeting those two things is maybe spagetti factory in newport Beach. It is not on the beach, but very close and it is crazy loud so good for kids and someone might call it romantic. It has neat decor.

Next best might be the tale of the whale at the newport pavillion. It may be a bit fancy for kids, but i see a lot of kids in there. Food is good to very good, but for the price you expect great food and it is not great.

I thought of one more. Rubies ont he pier in Newport Beach. It is a 1950s style diner. Basically burgers and fries. We find it romantic because of the lcoaitn and because of our history there personally. Sit on the patio upstairs if possible as long as it is not too hot or cold outside.

Other than that, while I can think of a few other great places, I cannot think of any that are good places to bring kids to.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM

Sorry, should have been more clear. Recs for romantic AND recs for family-friendly.... impossible to find one that satisfies both, no?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
the Brig, Wind and Sea and Beach Cities Pizza in Dana Point are very family friendly.

Romantic? Las Brisas. Beach House...

Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
That is easier.

Romantic: Any of the nice places along restaurant row in Newport beach. They look out on the bay, not the ocean, but the boats and water provide a romantic setting. The restaurants keep changing, but pretty much all of them are good. (Restaurant row is along coast highway from Newport Blvd to Corona Del Mar).

The gondola boats in Newport Bay are very romantic.

I second Las Brisas, but it is a bit rowdy.

Newport Landing in Balboa is also on the bay, but pretty romantic. I hope it is still there. Havent been there in a while and did not look to see if it is still open. Sit on the patio, especially if you bring the kids. Drink a Big Kahuna if you are not driving.

Tale of the whale is romantic, but as mentioned pricy for what you get.

If you do not have to be at the ocean, I suggest the Hobbit in Orange. It is in an old house. You begin in the wine cellar and the stewards help choose your wine. They call you to your table one table at a time by name. You have multiple waiters. It is a seven course meal over three and a half hours (with an intermission). there are only two menu choices. You need reservations. two people with wine +/- $250, but you can shave $100 off that with less and less expensive wine. With no wine, you might get out for $80.00. Give or take a bit.

Ritz Carleton in Dana Point is romantic.

An early romantic dinner for us was "McDonalds on the hill." There is a McDonalds on coast highway. Get take out and drive up the road behind McD. Keep working your way up towards the north and when you get to the road along the bluff go south. There is a community theater group. If they are not performing or practicing, you can park in the parking lot and have million dollar ocean views while eating your Big Mac.

For Kids: Rubies on the pier; Spaghetti Factory. I am drawing a blank on that one. with kids we would always just take them to Rubies.

Really when you think of it, there are very few restaurants actually on the beach.

I can remember two in Laguna, One in Balboa (used to be a jazz place, Studio Cafe, I think they changed their name though), one at Newport beach (Rex, Rax, something like that). None in Huntington beach. None in Corona Del Mar. Maybe San Clemente?

Near the beach there are lots of options in Laguna and Newport Beach, but not much on the beach.

You want really romantic, go down to the Del Coronado in San Diego.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Romantic:

Welcome :: Cannons Restaurant

Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM

298 posts, read 628,427 times
I second The Beach House in Laguna Beach. It is an actual converted house on the beach. It has a very rustic romantic feel. Personally Las Brisas is a little stuffy for me but I know a lot of people like that type of atmosphere and it is a great location. For kids I really like the Harbour House Cafe in Dana Point but it is not right on the beach.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM

If you like Mexican, Olamendis is across PCH from Capo beach. I'd put it more in the family friendly category than romantic.

Olamendis Capo Beach

Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 AM

Great suggestions-- many that I hadn't heard of. Happy I asked. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
I second The Beach House in Laguna Beach. It is an actual converted house on the beach. It has a very rustic romantic feel.
That was there when i was a kid over 40 years ago so it's been awhile since it was a beach residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County