Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:25 PM

55 posts, read 118,419 times

Advertisements

What the the con of living next to Old Ranch Parkway flood channel? The house is on YellowTail. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 PM

823 posts, read 1,787,206 times
Hi smallkitty!

What a nice area. Don't you just love the neighborhoods in Rossmoor? So I've never lived near the freeway nor a flood channel, but I've looked at houses to buy near both.

My husband's objection to buying a house next to flood control channels is rats. I took him to a house and he said we would have rats coming out of the channel. I guess he's right, but this particular house faced the channel's chain-linked fence, so little different than the neighborhood you're looking at.

My only concern about flood channels is flood insurance. My sister-in-law said she lived miles from a flood control channel in Long Beach and was still required to get insurance. If you're right next to the channel, you should check and see if insurance is necessary and how much it would be.

Have you checked Seal Beach (beautiful and pricey) and even West Garden Grove (more affordable, but the neighborhoods are still good)?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Yeah the streets are so beautiful :-) But we pass as this is a fixer & seller requires an offer to see the interior. We submitted the offer with proof of fund & pre-approval from BofA. Now they want us to cross-match with their preferred lender & a copy of EMD of $10,000 just to see the house. It is backing up to a flood channel which is backing up to a commerical building for God's sake. We passed :-)

Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 PM

So many hoops to jump through! Sorry to hear that, but there are other homes. In case the topic comes up, one concern I had about this area is the potential air traffic. You know Long Beach has a pretty bad problem with the LB airport. I was wondering how loud the military aircraft would be, but now that I'm here in the area, it's not a problem at all.

I love hearing the military craft the few times they come roaring through .

Old 01-23-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
So many hoops to jump through! Sorry to hear that, but there are other homes. In case the topic comes up, one concern I had about this area is the potential air traffic. You know Long Beach has a pretty bad problem with the LB airport. I was wondering how loud the military aircraft would be, but now that I'm here in the area, it's not a problem at all.

I love hearing the military craft the few times they come roaring through .
Right! For 750k asking price, one should at least have the interior pictures posted. Oh well. I actually don't mind the aircraft, my husband is an aerospace tool designer & engineer so he's in love with anything related :-) Thank u!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:48 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,654,380 times
My parents had a house up against the San Gabriel river bed up in Norwalk. It was great. The horses did attract a bunch of flies, but the neighbor's cat took care of the rats and mice.

I've never heard of this "make an offer to see the interior" before though. That is a deal breaker.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,415,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallkitty00 View Post
What the the con of living next to Old Ranch Parkway flood channel? The house is on YellowTail. Thank you.
Check on the new flood insurance rates as they are going up a LOT. You need to be in an "X" or better (30' above), or the rate will not be what is currently being paid.It is beginning to hit a lot of home buyers Nation wide.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Check on the new flood insurance rates as they are going up a LOT. You need to be in an "X" or better (30' above), or the rate will not be what is currently being paid.It is beginning to hit a lot of home buyers Nation wide.
Thanks. Will keep that in mind for future listings. I'm so tired of looking though. Maybe I'll take a break :-)

Old 01-25-2015, 03:58 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,152,808 times
Kitty, you can make your offer before seeing the house for whatever price you want. Simply consider making the offer contingent on your inspection and approval of the home's condition. Some sellers want to know you are serious, which you are. It is not hard to do.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallkitty00 View Post
Thanks. Will keep that in mind for future listings. I'm so tired of looking though. Maybe I'll take a break :-)
I know the feeling. How many homes are you seeing a week? I know, it's not that--I'm sure you're checking listings on your own too. All the time and the emotional rollercoast!

Hubby and I were tired of looking and being outbid. Real estate is some sort of game. I personally don't mind the search, but he was fed up. Years passed before we looked at buying again and this time, it was at a point where he and I were outgrowing our apt, so we were going to move anyway.

The only way he and I got our house was doing what I had refused to do--have the selling agent also represent me as the buyer's agent. It was an exclusive sale, so no bidding war or anything. It was just the sellers and me.

My agent does a lot of door knocking. I think that's how he came across these very private sellers. They didn't want people parading through their home. When the sellers were ready to buy, the agent remembered me and called me up. It was a very unconventional deal that wow, worked out in the end for all parties, but if it wasn't for this agent, I think I would still be renting.

Hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County