Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:27 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times

Advertisements

This question is about returning to where you were raised, after retirement. I'm now in my 60's but was raised in Orange and LA Counties until moving away for grad school and to follow my career. Now that I'm out on the East Coast and no longer have the obligations of my job, I am doing what we used to call soul-searching and trying to determine where I'd be happiest. Have any of you C-Ders moved back to CA from other locations? Yes, I realize that everything will be "different" for so many reasons, but changes have taken place all over the US and many are not exclusive to one area.

But can a Place be larger than all of that? I imagine there will be the same disappointments all over the states (noteably with regard to politics, high prices, traffic, and too much advertising) but that apart, are attitudes pretty similar as time marches on? For example, I remember CA as being very welcoming to outsiders and concerned with minimizing human damage to the environment. Tolerant of new ideas, open to discussion. Also, lots of nature preserves, hiking venues, excellent fresh produce, interesting eateries, and educational opportunities.

What do you think? Is returning worth considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 12:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This question is about returning to where you were raised, after retirement. I'm now in my 60's but was raised in Orange and LA Counties until moving away for grad school and to follow my career. Now that I'm out on the East Coast and no longer have the obligations of my job, I am doing what we used to call soul-searching and trying to determine where I'd be happiest. Have any of you C-Ders moved back to CA from other locations? Yes, I realize that everything will be "different" for so many reasons, but changes have taken place all over the US and many are not exclusive to one area.

But can a Place be larger than all of that? I imagine there will be the same disappointments all over the states (noteably with regard to politics, high prices, traffic, and too much advertising) but that apart, are attitudes pretty similar as time marches on? For example, I remember CA as being very welcoming to outsiders and concerned with minimizing human damage to the environment. Tolerant of new ideas, open to discussion. Also, lots of nature preserves, hiking venues, excellent fresh produce, interesting eateries, and educational opportunities.

Yes it certainly is. That said, happiness stems from inside and thus it is not just the place that brings about that state in people. It is hard; however, to find a place more beautiful than OC. I have traveled much of the world and find few areas, if any, rival OC. You will certainly see countless changes in OC and LA. Since you do not need to not worry about commuting, OC can be an exceptional. You have countless choices depending on your lifestyle wants...and budget.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
To me California is a love it or hate it place. Yes things are expensive, it's crowded, high taxes, high home and rent cost.
I would come visit maybe get a vacation rental or one of those executive apartments for a month. See if you like it before taking the plunge

Old 03-19-2015, 04:44 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,952 times
I would also suggest visiting for a set time period. I've been in SoCal for just 10 years and have watched things rapidly change. Especially, in Orange County.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:19 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,511 times
Do a short term rental on VRBO, maybe a full month. Give you a chance to really check everything out, plus it's not like staying in a hotel, you can make meals if you choose, so it's as close as you can get to really living in OC.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:41 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
No doubt a short term rental would be helpful--not too long though because of my dogs being back home. VBRO seems like a good idea.

But is there no one who looks at this forum who has moved back to the area after a long abscence? A short term stay will only be good for exploring and a superficial look. Maybe I should ask if anyone knows someone who has done this, and did that someone appear happy about the decision?

LuvSouthOC, you seem to have liked settling here after being in many places. Appreciate your comments.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:55 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
No doubt a short term rental would be helpful--not too long though because of my dogs being back home. VBRO seems like a good idea.
I don't know how short their shortest leases run (maybe 3 months?), but in case you want to bring your furry ones, Alicante in Also Viejo is VERY dog friendly, and they offer both long and short-term stays.

BTW, Aliso Viejo is part of the changed OC. AV may, or may not, be to your tastes, but at least staying at Alicante with your pooches would give you a chance to leisurely re-explore the whole of Orange County to see if you want to return.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-19-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 08:50 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:

Born and raised in So Cal, mainly lived in OC, but also several other counties. Moved out 3 times, moving back twice. Each time was more disappointing as the CA I grew up in has changed so much it isn't really "home" anymore. Now if I had enough money and ... my wife would not kill me, I might come back, but not to where I lived before. Close, but far enough away that it would be new and no old memories to be frustrated by.

New start,new experiences, new friends, new things to do and new memories being formed.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,511 times
Quote:

But is there no one who looks at this forum who has moved back to the area after a long abscence? A short term stay will only be good for exploring and a superficial look. Maybe I should ask if anyone knows someone who has done this, and did that someone appear happy about the decision?

LuvSouthOC, you seem to have liked settling here after being in many places. Appreciate your comments.
When I do VRBO I find places that allow dogs, just in case you want to take them.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:34 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Speaking from experience, another very nice thing about Alicante is that you can request a unit with a gated patio entry. That way, your dogs would not have to be indoors all day, but could sun themselves out on your terrace.

Add a container garden and they are in doggie heaven on earth.

Photos of Apartments in Aliso Viejo, CA | Alicante Apartment Homes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County