Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 03:44 PM

91 posts, read 214,870 times

Advertisements

My sister and I are looking to assist my father in finding a condo/co-op in Laguna Woods, Leisure World, or some other 55+ community within 12-24 months. He is 78 and completely competent for self care. (He even still works 30 hrs/week.) We have read some online reviews but are looking everywhere for information on these types of communities in Orange and San Diego counties . Both of us are in Florida and plan on going out to scout. At this point we want to get an idea of potential communities and pitfalls to watch for.

Specifically, what are the areas where these communities are like? Is management responsive? Do these communities seem vibrant? What are the tax implications in CA of condo vs co-op? (I'm familiar with the tax situation in NY) Are there other 55+ communities that may be better? We have a cap of approx. $175k and know that there are several units available in both of these. Any information, suggestions or opinions are be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Laguna Woods seems extremely popular and I never hear or read anything bad about the place. It's in the heart of south Orange County and there are lots of amenities to which (I think) the community provides transportation. But I really don't know a thing about it.

What does your dad want to do? My mom still lives by herself at 89 and we put my dad in board and care when just before he turned 90.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:11 PM

231 posts, read 590,878 times
I had a friend at work that was considering moving to Laguna Woods/ Leisure World. He decided against it when he found out they check your bank accounts and they have minimum limits before you are allowed the opportunity to buy a home in their community. I do not have any specifics except that he seemed really disgusted with their minimum asset requirements.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 PM

298 posts, read 628,375 times
My mother in law lives in Leisure World-Seal Beach and loves it. She is 81 and stays much more active than when she lived in a mobile home community. I would think the same is true for Laguna Woods. I don't know anything about checking their assets before they move in. She doesn't have a large amount of assets. It was a good move for her. There are a couple other 55+ communities in South Orange County, Casta del Sol and Palmia (sp?). I don't know anything about them and they may be more expensive.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
From what I’ve read, there seems to be a longstanding battle between Laguna Woods residents and their property management company. Without knowing the specifics, it’s hard to tell if the complaints are greater than those voiced in any other development.

However, there was once so much tension that the property management company execs sought a restraining order against one of the LW residents :

Management company fears violence from 73-year-old woman - OC Watchdog : The Orange County Register
Otherwise, it seems that Laguna Woods residents live in a safe community and have plenty of activities available to them.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:58 PM

256 posts, read 617,270 times
There is also Huntington Landmark in Huntington Beach.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 12,574 times
My Mom still lives on her own at 82, but she has many friends who have chosen to retire to the Leisure World in Seal Beach and they all seem to love it. The places are small but there seems to be lots to do and I see the Leisure World vans driving the residents to the local shops, doctors, etc.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 AM

91 posts, read 214,870 times
Thanks to everyone for the replies, info and input. Have also found some other communities to explore (Oceana, Peacock Hills, etc) in the Oceanside area. Leisure World and Laguna Woods both sound pretty good.

One negative at Leisure World for a potential owner is that only a fraction of the condo units and none of the co-op units allow them to be rented out to non-owners. I understand that this can be beneficial for the stability of the community, but does reduce options for the owner. Example: 6-month split between CA and another state or even if a single owner who must be hospitalized or in rehabilitation for an extended period and plans on returning home.

Some have mentioned that their parents have remained in their residences. The reason for us looking for 55+ community is that both of us are far away (Florida) and his neighborhood has changed much over the years. Many of the neighbors have moved on or passed away and have been replaced by younger families. Although I acknowledge that age-integrated communities are beneficial in many respects, being amongst the very few of his generation is isolating him. As previously mentioned, he is active and outgoing and would do better in a community where he can socialize.

Last edited by gs70119; 03-03-2012 at 05:13 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 8,997 times
Default comparing LW seal beach to Laguna Woods Village

I'm 58 and looking into both of these. LW Seal Beach isn't nearly as attractive tho a bit more affordable in terms of monthly HOA however the properties are more expensive and smaller and appear barracks like to some degree. Also the community is in a setting that is near a major thru fare and freeway but it's also near a big smoking ugly thing (Edison) that supposedly doesn't pollute tho is quite an eyesore.

The GRS (Golden Rain Society) just raised minimum assets to $100k plus cash price of "home" and a membership fee that is going up to something like nearly $3000 (one time).

This is in Orange County tho has good transportation to LA county.

Laguna Woods in in a much more affluent neighborhood and much prettier. There's a wide variety of types of co ops and there are condos in which can be rented and also financed instead of purchased cash full price.

There are minimum yearly salary of $42K for condos and $36K for co ops. One must have $125K in excess of whatever price of property will cost even if financing.

There are lots of freeways and super highways out in this area tho still this is a highly desirable area and very attractive.

Both offer many amenities for people 55 plus. Either would be a good choice altho Laguna Woods is much more attractive than Leisure World.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,988 times
What is an average home owners association fee monthly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County