Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 2,905 times

Advertisements

I moved here 3 years ago, lived in foothill ranch and now Aliso viejo, and haven't regretted it once. Sometimes traffic is annoying, or having to drive everywhere can be frustrating, but at any point you can go to the beach, mountains, desert, and it's nearly unbeatable. Plus the people here are great, lots of transplants everywhere to make easing into California life easy.

I might have to move east for work due to a promotion, and I'm debating finding another job rather than have to move from SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 01:12 AM

121 posts, read 183,816 times
Where are you coming from? Should be some people that transplanted from a similar area that could relate.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:36 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
I moved here in 1972 and, yes , the place has lost a lot of the magic.
It's become more intense, more urban, and less and less bucolic.
One has to drive a considerable distance to see any open countryside and wide open spaces.
The traffic is getting worse and the commute longer.
But, if you are retired and can operate outside of the working man's hours during the week, it's tolerable but you still will have to deal with the weekends when people try to escape from LA.
The question that you need to ask yourself is how much do you like being around lot's of people ?

Old 11-03-2015, 10:35 AM

35 posts, read 102,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCerik View Post
Where are you coming from? Should be some people that transplanted from a similar area that could relate.
I currently live in the Chicago area. My primary reason for targeting OC is the climate. Chicago winters are long and harsh.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 AM

35 posts, read 102,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
The question that you need to ask yourself is how much do you like being around lot's of people ?
I currently live in the Chicago area, where congestion is part of everyday life.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:12 PM

121 posts, read 183,816 times
I don't know how important the ocean and being very close to it is to you, but you mentioned Laguna Beach being a dream location, I'd recommend at least taking a look in Dana Point and San Clemente. They are coastal cities that are much cheaper than Laguna Beach. Dana Point is undergoing major redevelopment in it's downtown and harbor, and San Clemente continues to offer more and more in the way of good restaurants and entertainment. I expect prices in both cities to rise significantly in the near future. All depends on how much size you're looking for and for what amount though.

Of course you can't go wrong with any of the cities you listed, though RSM is a pretty good drive inland if being close to the beach is important.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 517 times
I moved from Chicago (born and raised) 2 years ago to Orange County. We came here with no friends/family -- solely for a new job opportunity.

Life here has been great. Yes, California is wacky and Orange County has its own weird vibe relative to NorCal and LA-area (and San Diego), but if you enjoy being outdoors, a lot of natural beauty, less crowding (I live in S. Orange County, near RSM), and ability to experience so many diverse things within a couple hours, it is great here.

You already know the weather is amazing, and I can't underplay how important that is. However, it has to balance properly with leaving a way of life you are used to, a family/social network, etc.

The 241 makes living in Foothill, RSM, Coto, etc. completely livable. Without it I would rule those areas out.

I am happy to dialogue directly on this -- PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County