Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 01:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I have 83 employees now, and I can spot an entitled millennial within 20-30 seconds just by reading their resume. Suffice to say, it goes right into the garbage bin.
How do you defined "entitled"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

Many millennials will submit a resume just based on the compensation, not on the job description. It's as easy as sending an e-mail or hitting submit on a web form. This leads to a lot of chaff.
And there's no barrier to sending an e-mail or sending off a web form, even if you blatantly don't qualify for the job.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHate Texas View Post
Maybe millennials and future young americans need to understand that in order to live in a desirable area, you need to be motivated in getting an education to prosper in life. Not to expect affordable housing and government handouts. I'm quite satisfied when non-contributing members of society get priced out. They are an inconvience to be around.
In order to live in those desirable areas, the entry level jobs one receives after getting a bachelor's degree are not enough to live in those areas. You won't necessarily make enough money even after getting an advanced degree, and who wants to spend their entire life chasing after something they may not be able to afford?

Old 09-14-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
People do realize that. What you're seeing is millennials pushing back at constantly being denigrated. We're all lazy, ungrateful, entitled brats to some people for thinking that a person who is well educated and has a very good job should have to rent a room, drive a beater, and basically have no life. My husband and I happen to live extremely cheaply after leaving CA (by choice), but that doesn't make us less ungrateful than those who don't. We don't have college degrees and work hard for what we have, but we don't look to others who went to college as lazy.

If enough millennials leave the area, it is in for a world of hurt eventually. The region will have a hard time sustaining itself with only older people.
But that's how you lower prices. You lower the demand.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:49 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But that's how you lower prices. You lower the demand.
Or up the supply...

Old 09-14-2017, 02:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Or up the supply...
Not enough land. Building up just makes it worse.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:18 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Maybe.....but my son is 19, just got his first "more professional" job and hadn't had any work experience. He did list some volunteer work as well as college classes he has taken towards the desired field, and his awards and achievements. I am glad they gave him a chance and didn't toss his resume. He is not an entitled kid at all, although he is a millennial. He wants to work and is really enjoying his new position (actually it is a paid internship, but he was up against over 15 others.)
Bigger companies are able to accommodate junior positions and the infrastructure to bring them up. Unfortunately that's not the case at my company. We need people to hit the ground running, and we compensate them as such. We pay our developers $120,000 to $150,000 annually depending on their experience and what position they fill internally. We also offer bonuses of 25% if an employee simply meets expectations, and up to 50% of annual salary if they exceed expectations in meeting their project goals. AFAIK, maybe Google offers such a friendly bonus structure, but not many companies do.

That's why we do not offer positions to inexperienced 19 year olds and unfortunately we probably would not have hired your son due to his lack of experience, and skill.

Quote:
I took off 10 years to stay at home with my kids. I am glad no one tossed my application based on that.
You are fortunate but you are definitely an exception. What I'm saying is common sense though, I'm sure you agree. You have two equal candidates, and one comes in with a 15 year work history and another one, like you, comes in with a piece-meal work history with a 10 year gap. Everything else equal, most HR structures are designed to weed someone like you out, and pick the more "reliable" candidate. That's just the reality.

Quote:
The social media stuff....yup, my husband has been asked to not even have one at all. I have one but anyone is welcome to go check it. I post nothing controversial, political, risque, or otherwise inappropriate. But you can see what my kids are up to or the latest on my sick dog, or maybe some friend's child's wedding photos I attended.

But my work and his have said they do monitor those things and people in both of our lines of work have been fired over social media. If you are going to be that stupid, you deserve not to have a job.
This is a growing trend too. Most millennials don't realize just how damaging social media activity can be, and dozens have been fired quite publicly because of what they say or do, or how they portray themselves online. My best advice for young people coming into the professional world, ditch facebook, twitter. If you want a professional personal blog, keep it professional. No selfies, no drunk make out photos.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:25 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
How do you defined "entitled"?
In my experience, someone who expects more, or believes they deserve more based on nothing else but subjective criteria.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:09 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Quote:
Bigger companies are able to accommodate junior positions and the infrastructure to bring them up. Unfortunately that's not the case at my company. We need people to hit the ground running, and we compensate them as such. We pay our developers $120,000 to $150,000 annually depending on their experience and what position they fill internally. We also offer bonuses of 25% if an employee simply meets expectations, and up to 50% of annual salary if they exceed expectations in meeting their project goals. AFAIK, maybe Google offers such a friendly bonus structure, but not many companies do.

That's why we do not offer positions to inexperienced 19 year olds and unfortunately we probably would not have hired your son due to his lack of experience, and skill.

You are fortunate but you are definitely an exception. What I'm saying is common sense though, I'm sure you agree. You have two equal candidates, and one comes in with a 15 year work history and another one, like you, comes in with a piece-meal work history with a 10 year gap. Everything else equal, most HR structures are designed to weed someone like you out, and pick the more "reliable" candidate. That's just the reality.

This is a growing trend too. Most millennials don't realize just how damaging social media activity can be, and dozens have been fired quite publicly because of what they say or do, or how they portray themselves online. My best advice for young people coming into the professional world, ditch facebook, twitter. If you want a professional personal blog, keep it professional. No selfies, no drunk make out photos.
I have no idea what kind of business you own, but if your requirements are several years of experience and a college degree, a 19 year old wouldn't have that anyway. He is going to college and working part time in an internship in his field because he is good at it.

I don't have a piecemeal resume, I have a "worked 17 years here and then took 10 years off" resume. It isn't 2 years here, 3 years there, a few months here.....

As for the rest, your business is very different than what I would be looking for anyway.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:09 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
In my experience, someone who expects more, or believes they deserve more based on nothing else but subjective criteria.
Shorter version: "Because they want it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County