Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2016, 02:19 AM

218 posts, read 350,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's a lot more than just n'er do well type people who are being priced out. Even smart, educated people are being priced out of the Coastal CA metro areas.

One small anecdote. My sister who has a master's degree and a high 5, low 6 figure type income recently moved to CA from high cost Manhattan. She didn't consider the Coastal CA metro areas because, as another person said, the salaries and the cost of living don't match up. She didn't want to have the same situation she had in New York with nicer weather. So she moved to more affordable Sacramento, where the slightly lower salaries go a lot further.
Interesting. Sacramento not a good place for a young person like me as was discussed in earlier posts about Phoenix. Phoenix and Sactown are the same cities. Low educational attainment, very high crime, horrible universities, unfriendly people, etc.

And, both cities lacking essential social and medical services, with high rates of homeless, disabled, unemployed, terrible medical care.

From orange county down to LA Jolla is sort of the demographic equivalent of New England, I think, with lots of good universities, medical care, etc.

The distal suburbs of Sacramento are OK, such as Folsom, Roseville, Rocklin, and El Dorado Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Yep, pretty much. Even some liberals agree with this assessment:

Fixing California: The Green Gentry

Joel Kotkin is always pushing Texas, but I disagree, due to their horrible schools and medical care, and escalating rents just like the oc.

He thinks California will see inland areas deteoriate. I disagree, look at the success of Temecula and Murrieta, and the world logistics center is coming to Moreno Valley.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:34 AM

57 posts, read 66,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
And apparently LA has the same problem. The situation is not as bad in San Diego. Riverside and San Bernandino, by contrast, seem to have no such problem.

Orange County's workforce loses Millennials who can't afford to live here - The Orange County Register

Good. We have enough people here as is. They should move to CO. Where they can smoke, sell and grow pot.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabees_ View Post
Good. We have enough people here as is. They should move to CO. Where they can smoke, sell and grow pot.
They do that in Sacramento, too, and in the bay area. And here in Phoenix, who may choose to legalize pot like Colorado. I'm not a part of that lifestyle and don't hang around folks who do. Usually the more intellectual types don't get into drugs, which has become a huge lifestyle in places like Phoenix and Sacramento. Just about everyone i know in Phoenix and Scottsdale is on an illegal drug. Also San Diego but not so much from Carlsbad and north through south OC and Irvine. I don't care about cigarettes, alcohol, I'm no purist, and have bad habits myself, but I'm not a hipster and want to find a place of intelligent young people. Temecula is accumulating more young people like this but really isn't much cheaper than the coast. Thousand Oaks and Calabasas are good, too.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:00 AM

406 posts, read 348,340 times
Quote:
Yep, pretty much. Even some liberals agree with this assessment:

Fixing California: The Green Gentry
Huh? Kotkin is not a liberal...

Old 10-23-2016, 03:44 PM

57 posts, read 66,484 times
Funny how everyone wants to Live in Liberal CA yet no one wants to move to the Red States with lower taxes.

Like they say. You get what you pay for. There's a reason no one wants to move to a red hillbilly state. Even if they offer lower taxes and no income taxes.

I wouldn't want to Live in Alaska. And they PAY you to live there. lol

Old 10-24-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
Huh? Kotkin is not a liberal...
I've always wondered about Kotkin and his political affiliation. I've heard a friend of his call him a liberal Democrat. He has Democrats writing papers on the forum that was linked to above, such as Richard Morrill. But most of his contributors are Libertarians and Republicans such as Dr Wendell Cox.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:41 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabees_ View Post
Funny how everyone wants to Live in Liberal CA yet no one wants to move to the Red States with lower taxes.

Like they say. You get what you pay for. There's a reason no one wants to move to a red hillbilly state. Even if they offer lower taxes and no income taxes.

I wouldn't want to Live in Alaska. And they PAY you to live there. lol
Nope. Actually quite a mix of red and blue states (and DC). Texas is 3rd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_growth_rate

Old 10-24-2016, 08:37 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
I've always wondered about Kotkin and his political affiliation. I've heard a friend of his call him a liberal Democrat. He has Democrats writing papers on the forum that was linked to above, such as Richard Morrill. But most of his contributors are Libertarians and Republicans such as Dr Wendell Cox.
Kotkin is a Democrat, but not a liberal

Old 10-24-2016, 09:34 AM

406 posts, read 348,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Kotkin is a Democrat, but not a liberal
Not anymore.

For virtually all of my adult life, I have been a registered Democrat. But as the party has abandoned critical commitments to color-blind racial equality, upward mobility and economic growth I have moved on to become a registered independent.

What happened to my party? Joel Kotkin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County