Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The point I was trying to make is that, overall, OC was the epitome of a middle class area. Sure now it is a place that it out of reach for most Americans, but that doesn't mean that it was like that before. Jobs, population growth, immigration, development, fame (media), desirability -- all conspired to make it highly sought after. Many areas were very solidly middle class in the same way that places in the i.e. are today. Bit-by-bit middle class areas became upper middle class areas and the immediate coast went from middle and upper middle class to upper class. I witnessed the same thing in Pacific Palisades and other places in LA.

To be honest, I feel for the millennials. Their situation is even worse on average than it was for Gen X (my generation) at the same time period in our lives, and boy was it bad for us! Gen X was the mcjobs generation.

Boomers are not at faulty for having wealth and most worked for their wealth, but growing it was easier on average than it is now in that a normal income would sustain them. One other thing that is never discussed is that boomers enjoyed THREE decades of falling interest rates and all of the property increases that stem from that. That era is long gone. Buying a home now at these high prices is staggering for most and will very likely NOT yield the home price increases seen in the past, due in large part to expected and continual increases in rates.
Actually the generation before us, maybe even two were the ones that gobbled up vast amounts of free or dirt cheap (pun intended) land. After that the game was on to own at all of the coasts. It's much harder to create wealth away from the coast now. One thing for certain is there are still about 45 States where one can purchase a home on the cheap it's just that today's urban settlers don't want to live there. I can telecommute so I could live wherever I want. It's just that my wife won't let me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 10:37 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
there are still about 45 States where one can purchase a home on the cheap it's just that today's urban settlers don't want to live there.
you can buy cheap land by the hundred acres in Antelope Valley but everybody wants to live by the coasts

Old 06-20-2018, 03:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Actually the generation before us, maybe even two were the ones that gobbled up vast amounts of free or dirt cheap (pun intended) land. After that the game was on to own at all of the coasts. It's much harder to create wealth away from the coast now. One thing for certain is there are still about 45 States where one can purchase a home on the cheap it's just that today's urban settlers don't want to live there. I can telecommute so I could live wherever I want. It's just that my wife won't let me
You can buy acres and acres of desert land out in Adelanto area. Or in Salton sea area. Cheap too

Old 06-20-2018, 09:27 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Quote:
Well since you brought it up, let's explore that. Land was cheaper closest to the ocean. No one wanted it for a variety of reasons. They wanted to be a few miles inland. Yes the folks who bought up this cheap ocean front land were destined to make a pretty penny. Newport Beach is well known for having had land available for a dollar an acre.

Newport Beach Jetties in California

Old 06-21-2018, 07:18 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Well since you brought it up, let's explore that. Land was cheaper closest to the ocean. No one wanted it for a variety of reasons. They wanted to be a few miles inland. Yes the folks who bought up this cheap ocean front land were destined to make a pretty penny. Newport Beach is well known for having had land available for a dollar an acre.

Newport Beach Jetties in California
When agriculture was king and then steel mfg, CA was not really on the radar. But after WWII it was and aviation, oil production and Hollywood drew people. Now what people want for work and pleasure is drawing them to the coasts or as near as they can get. A lifestyle and employment change and not the fault of any generation. Now if you love living away from people, 4 seasons appeal to you and do not mind a middle class job there are many places all over the Country where you can live, but if you want high pay and mild weather and all the amenities, you are limited in where to live. Life choices have driven the prices up not any "generation".

Old 06-21-2018, 07:25 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that, overall, OC was the epitome of a middle class area. Sure now it is a place that it out of reach for most Americans, but that doesn't mean that it was like that before. Jobs, population growth, immigration, development, fame (media), desirability -- all conspired to make it highly sought after. Many areas were very solidly middle class in the same way that places in the i.e. are today. Bit-by-bit middle class areas became upper middle class areas and the immediate coast went from middle and upper middle class to upper class. I witnessed the same thing in Pacific Palisades and other places in LA.

To be honest, I feel for the millennials. Their situation is even worse on average than it was for Gen X (my generation) at the same time period in our lives, and boy was it bad for us! Gen X was the mcjobs generation.

Boomers are not at faulty for having wealth and most worked for their wealth, but growing it was easier on average than it is now in that a normal income would sustain them. One other thing that is never discussed is that boomers enjoyed THREE decades of falling interest rates and all of the property increases that stem from that. That era is long gone. Buying a home now at these high prices is staggering for most and will very likely NOT yield the home price increases seen in the past, due in large part to expected and continual increases in rates.
You are correct. Some of the reasons it grew were being a way from the LA smog, in a less expensive area but a commute to LA for work was not bad and with the growth in population due to many manufacturing jobs appearing in say OC and .... minimal illegal immigration issues so the average jobs were taken by Citizens who could live on the pay. Be aware that falling interest rates were not really an issue as I have paid well above the interest rates in my younger years and I am a Boomer. Remember to fall they had to be high and OC as an example grew right through both high and low interest rate periods.

Is it worse for Millennial's, yes, but it is no ones fault, it is what happens when populations increase and technology begins to dominate the job market and life style. Land available limits growth and raises prices. Remember Boomers did not choose to be born when they were anymore than millenial's did, they just coped with what they were faced with, and some better than others as there are also a lot of poor Boomers.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You can buy acres and acres of desert land out in Adelanto area. Or in Salton sea area. Cheap too
Why not just move out of California?

Salton Sea is an acidic festering pool of pesticides and dead fish.

The high desert is all right except for the high crime and meth labs.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:51 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
This is interesting. Some are saying that California's generally high home prices are "rational" when factoring in the natural "amenities" this state has to offer, including climate. So, barring a recession, trade war*, or other calamity, don't expect a large dip anytime soon.

California home prices called ‘rational’ when climate is factored in
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/06/24/california-home-prices-called-rational-when-climate-is-factored-in/

Everyone knows a key reason you pay up for California housing is the impressive climate.

Chapman University researchers now have some math to prove it.

Veteran economist Jim Doti and some of his students set out to see how county-by-county home values looked when traditional metrics — median selling prices and income levels from 2016 — were mathematically meshed with unorthodox ones — a U.S. Department of Agriculture “natural amenities” score and the proximity to the Pacific Ocean.

As Doti noted, “Location. Location. Location.”

Chapman’s “amenities factor” revealed significant variations in housing’s “overvaluation” or “undervaluation” throughout the state. However, the statewide median valuation for the 39 large counties studied was 0.5 percent — a sign statewide housing is fairly priced.

“Prices may be high but they are rational,” Doti concluded.

*More worrisome is California’s status as the nation’s top state for international trade, with China and Mexico the top foreign business partners. Doti warns that if current frictions between the U.S. and its trading allies intensifies, “a trade war will hit California hard.”

Old 06-28-2018, 04:15 AM

120 posts, read 101,603 times
What I see is it all will come crashing down at some point. You can't have a system with ever increasing prices without consequences for all in the end. At some point one has to say 'Enough is enough. We're on the verge of this now in many large cities.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:08 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
What I see is it all will come crashing down at some point. You can't have a system with ever increasing prices without consequences for all in the end. At some point one has to say 'Enough is enough. We're on the verge of this now in many large cities.
So, you see Manhattan prices crashing down?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County