Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 09:45 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,289,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
3-in-10 SoCal millenials living with mom.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/1...ear-u-s-highs/
I submit theres nothing wrong with it as long as they are singles and take that opportunity to save and save.

once you start having your own family or get married or partner, I think you better move out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 06:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
I submit theres nothing wrong with it as long as they are singles and take that opportunity to save and save.

once you start having your own family or get married or partner, I think you better move out
If you can afford to move out. Many put the wrong thing first instead of the right thing, financial stability so that you significant other and children do not suffer.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:35 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
3-in-10 SoCal millenials living with mom.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/1...ear-u-s-highs/
How many have a nicer car than you or I, go out to happy hour all the time, take vacations, wear the nicest clothes, etc, etc?

Many of my peers (generation x) fell into this category, using all the same excuses of the job market, housing costs, student loans, etc, being used today. Most got their act together by their late 20’s realizing no partner would take them seriously for still choosing to live at home. Despite all the feel good articles appealing to this demographic saying it’s alright in this day and age, I’m sure nothing has changed in the attitude of those wanting more in life and a partner.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
How many have a nicer car than you or I, go out to happy hour all the time, take vacations, wear the nicest clothes, etc, etc?

Many of my peers (generation x) fell into this category, using all the same excuses of the job market, housing costs, student loans, etc, being used today. Most got their act together by their late 20’s realizing no partner would take them seriously for still choosing to live at home. Despite all the feel good articles appealing to this demographic saying it’s alright in this day and age, I’m sure nothing has changed in the attitude of those wanting more in life and a partner.
Ha, exactly. Gen X here and I scrimped, saved and invested like a mad man...for years... and years...while I also clawed my way up in my career. Here's what I see from my millenial friends -- who, by the way, all rent, and all eat out ALL OF THE TIME.

I routinely hear things like:

We’re going to DTLA tonight! Spire 73 baby!
We are dining at the Magic Castle next week!
We are setting up a party in Los Feliz, it's gonna be off the chain man.
I am saving for another trip to Europe!

Are you saving for a condo or something, retirement?

Right now, I can't man. It's hard.

They also have excuses like:

1) Well, it isn't that much cheaper to cook (it actually is cheaper because cooking yields left-overs too)
2) I can't save more money right now because my rent will go up and I need to save before then.
3) I can't really save for a “house” when prices keep going up.

I guess they don't understand that we lived through Reality Bites.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:51 AM

26,742 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Despite all the feel good articles appealing to this demographic saying it’s alright in this day and age, I’m sure nothing has changed in the attitude of those wanting more in life and a partner.
Or maybe they either just aren't ready for marriage, or marriage/living with a partner does not appeal to them.

From the article: "When the U.S. Census Bureau looked at trends of parents and adult children sharing a roof, it found just how unpopular settling down with a significant other has become: In 1975, 58 percent of young adults lived with a partner, married or not. By 2016, it had fallen to 39 percent. Growing desires for more education and ensuing career success were seen as key motivators...."

Old 05-18-2018, 08:48 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Or maybe they either just aren't ready for marriage, or marriage/living with a partner does not appeal to them.

From the article: "When the U.S. Census Bureau looked at trends of parents and adult children sharing a roof, it found just how unpopular settling down with a significant other has become: In 1975, 58 percent of young adults lived with a partner, married or not. By 2016, it had fallen to 39 percent. Growing desires for more education and ensuing career success were seen as key motivators...."
All of this has zero to do with still living at home as an adult. I moved out at 18 for college and didn’t get married until 41, to a millennial nonetheless, but she has her sh** together. Some just like comfort, security, free food, and rent that mommy and daddy provide.

Sorry, but an adult should not live at home. Short of a having to get back on their feet because of circumstance like a devastating illness or divorce, or much later in life to care for the aging parents. There’s zero reason for a twenty something.

You can still accomplish the paying off of debt, saving for a house, focusing on a career, etc, living with roommates and living within a budget. Probably more so than living at home, because you’re acting like a true adult and taking personal responsibility.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:30 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
If you're over 30 and living at home, you've messed up bigly in your life.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
I just don't see why more millennials who can't seem to get ahead financially just don't move elsewhere. Yes, they make less money, but their costs of living will be much lower, so on balance, they would come out ahead.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,289,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

maybe this is related to the pursuit of career.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-birt...rtility-rates/

The rate of births to women ages 15 to 44, known as the general fertility rate, sank to a record low of about 60 per 1,000.
Women in their early 40s were the only group with higher birth rates in 2017, up 2 percent from the year. The rate has been rising since the early 1980s.

stability first before marriage or children. maybe good maybe bad.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:23 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,703,724 times
^ I've found many people are surprised that it becomes much more challenging to get pregnant at 35 years old+. They've set themselves up with a good career, financial stability, etc... only to then be let down by infertility or high risk pregnancies at 35 and older for a family they very much want.

At 30 years old the chance of conceiving each month is around ~20%. By 40 that is down to 5%.

While our nation's declining birth rate is very much partially due to choice to not have kids at all or only have one kid, many couples are also struggling to have any kids at all, even when they want them. Many people still want to have a family, etc... but they just want it later in life. Your 30's have become the more socially acceptable "responsible" age to have kids and many couples have 30 - 35 as the magic number in their head for getting married, leaving the end of the fertility bell curve as the chance to have a kid.

Last edited by CLT4; 05-18-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County