Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:44 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,700,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
Thank you for the your informative post, Pacific2. We'll check out AV as well. It looks like there are quite a few trails west and south of AV. How is the commute to Orange? Any way to take the train?
There are also a lot of trails within AV itself. Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park is extensive and cuts across the city, even though the car entrance is in Laguna Niguel.
Orange County, California - Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park

There are about 22 parks in the city, and is one thing that attracts some people here. I think part of the deal the city made with the state upon incorporation in 2001, was that large portions of it would remain open.

Soka University of America, a Buddhist-inspired university in Aliso Viejo, for example, is nestled within Wood Canyon:
http://www.soka.edu/images/homepage/..._mainimage.jpg

Just an aside, but if either of you is into golf, it might help to know that AV has a course:
http://www.clubcorp.com/var/ezflow_s...lleryFront.jpg

The trip to Orange is not hard and should take about 25-35 minutes. It's best to hit the 5N before 7AM because things can clog up fast afterwards.

I think there is a train station in Laguna Niguel, but it would not be efficient to drive there, wait for a train, take the trip, etc. when a car ride is so simple and easy.

FWIW, or not, I really don't know of anyone who commutes there by train. I have a friend who lives in Laguna Niguel and once worked at the medical center in Orange. She never complained about the commute.

Last edited by pacific2; 08-17-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 09:59 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,062,896 times
Quote:
Hi OC forum,

My DH and I are contemplating a move to Orange County. I have been doing research and will be visiting in the next few months, but need to narrow down potential locations. A bit about us and what we’re looking for:

- We’re in our early 50s, no kids, two small dogs.
- DH’s office is in Orange. He prefers to either take the train (office is close to Orange station) or 30 minute max commute by car. Probably working normal office hours, but could come in early.
- We walk our dogs a lot – so access to park or walking trails important.
- Prefer walkable neighborhood (local restaurants, not chain/strip malls). May trade for an active community with beautiful surroundings.
- Progressive-minded area desired.
- Proximity to bike trails, hiking & kayaking a plus.
- Budget: $700,000. Minimum 2 bed, 2 bath w/small yard, patio or large balcony (we like to hang out outside). SFH, townhouse or condo OK, depending on amenities.

Thanks in advance for your help!
As the other responses have noted, old town Orange seems to fit what you're looking for. It has that vintage, rustic feel and has many walkable streets around the "circle" as well as Chapman University.

As another option to consider, I'm about to relocate to Brea and did a ton of research on the area, and it might also fit your criteria:
-Brea is ~12 miles from Orange.
-parks are plentiful in Brea since it's a family oriented community. Brea also has a newly constructed walking trail called The Tracks at Brea. http://www.ci.brea.ca.us/DocumentCenter/View/4371
-The Tracks at Brea also go through it's downtown area, which is walkable and safe. It's a mix of local restaurants and chain restaurants (although I think there are more chains)
-politically it's mixed but I think there are more registered republicans than democrats.
-Bike Trails - see Tracks at Brea. As for hiking, there are some trailheads in neighboring Yorba Linda, and there might be some at north Brea as well. No Kayaking, however.
-700k will get you a nice SFH in Brea (3-4 bedroom, 1500-2000 sq ft).

Old 08-18-2017, 02:22 PM

356 posts, read 704,927 times
What do you think about adding Long Beach to the mix? DH could take Highway 22 into Orange. Looks more affordable, and, coming from "The City of Trees" (Sacramento), I'm liking the tree-lined streets I see on Google street view.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
What do you think about adding Long Beach to the mix? DH could take Highway 22 into Orange. Looks more affordable, and, coming from "The City of Trees" (Sacramento), I'm liking the tree-lined streets I see on Google street view.
Sounds great to me.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:44 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,789,738 times
I would live in Orange. It's pretty affordable.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:48 PM

Long Beach has far more entertainment options than Orange.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:17 PM

823 posts, read 1,789,461 times
Long Beach...I'm not sure. I personally don't like the decisions of LB city leaders, but maybe I'd be equally displeased with other city leaders if I paid attention to that.

My other beef with LB is traffic to and from Orange. I've done both--lived in LB and commuted to Orange, lived in Orange and commuted to LB--ugh.

Traffic slows around the crush (22E/57/5 interchange) and afternoon rush hour bottlenecks where the 22 W connects with the 405N. Cars just sit there as the lanes merge down.

I know your husband doesn't mind commuting, but I would avoid it if I could. There are nice tree-lined streets in Orange.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:16 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,162,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
There are also a lot of trails within AV itself. Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park is extensive and cuts across the city, even though the car entrance is in Laguna Niguel.
Orange County, California - Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park

There are about 22 parks in the city, and is one thing that attracts some people here. I think part of the deal the city made with the state upon incorporation in 2001, was that large portions of it would remain open.

Soka University of America, a Buddhist-inspired university in Aliso Viejo, for example, is nestled within Wood Canyon:

Just an aside, but if either of you is into golf, it might help to know that AV has a course:
http://www.clubcorp.com/var/ezflow_s...lleryFront.jpg

The trip to Orange is not hard and should take about 25-35 minutes. It's best to hit the 5N before 7AM because things can clog up fast afterwards.

I think there is a train station in Laguna Niguel, but it would not be efficient to drive there, wait for a train, take the trip, etc. when a car ride is so simple and easy.

FWIW, or not, I really don't know of anyone who commutes there by train. I have a friend who lives in Laguna Niguel and once worked at the medical center in Orange. She never complained about the commute.
Lots of people take the Metrolink from Laguna Niguel to Irvine, Orange, Santa Ana, Fullerton, and DTLA.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Lots of people take the Metrolink from Laguna Niguel to Irvine, Orange, Santa Ana, Fullerton, and DTLA.
Yep, and obviously on second thought, enough take the Metrolink in order to justify keeping it open. I guess it's matter of personal preference.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:13 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,162,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Yep, and obviously on second thought, enough take the Metrolink in order to justify keeping it open. I guess it's matter of personal preference.
Many also take it from San Diego (Oceanside) to Laguna Niguel and beyond. Tons of nurses on Metrolink living in cheaper areas and commuting to OC.

Metrolink users usually have two cars, leaving one at each station. I did that for many years on Metrolink. Thankfully I don't have to do it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County