Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 08:18 AM

81 posts, read 182,024 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job possiblity in Irvine. We currently live in Colorado but I used to live as a kid in the Bay area and miss CA. I've already posted a previous thread but have gotten mostly discouraging responses. I'm not ready to give up hope though. My husband has a second interview in Irvine and now im trying to see if CA can work. Our budget is tight and poor compared to CA standards and we would be renting- need a 3 bedroom place (want a house) and don't think we could exceed 2600 per month. I saw places for rent in Oceanside which were "affordable" and they looked like they were in decent areas. I read this city is improving and upcoming. Would the commute work? Would it be too long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 08:46 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
First off I’d post this in the Orange County and San Diego forums, you’ll probably get more replies.

With that said there are far worse commutes in Southern California. I’ve driven from San Diego to Anaheim countless times midweek during commute times, and Oceanside to Irvine is doable. The distance more so than the congestion is what’s gonna wear on him. As I type this I remember answering this before, I can’t remember if it was its own thread or not. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:59 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Look into taking the Metrolink. I don't know where he will be working, but there are shuttles to many places from the station. I know my husband has looked at a job near the Spectrum Center and there are shuttles.

Metrolink System Map

Old 09-01-2018, 11:30 AM

167 posts, read 195,575 times
Why are you searching in Oceanside if the job is in Irvine? Just find a place in Santa Ana or Westminster.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:30 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadhere View Post
My husband has a job possiblity in Irvine. We currently live in Colorado but I used to live as a kid in the Bay area and miss CA. I've already posted a previous thread but have gotten mostly discouraging responses. I'm not ready to give up hope though. My husband has a second interview in Irvine and now im trying to see if CA can work. Our budget is tight and poor compared to CA standards and we would be renting- need a 3 bedroom place (want a house) and don't think we could exceed 2600 per month. I saw places for rent in Oceanside which were "affordable" and they looked like they were in decent areas. I read this city is improving and upcoming. Would the commute work? Would it be too long?
I’m not sure what wonder job your hubby is getting but the commute will suck. One good wreck on the 5 anywhere between the El Toro Y and PCH at rush hour will add time to your commute. I’ve had two hour commutes from Mission Viejo to Irvine due to some dumb azz wrecking on the road. I recently sat in about a additional hours worth of traffic fcaused by a burning wreck right where the 495 merged into the 5 at El Toro Road. OC traffic is a lot like LA traffic now. The toll road will cost you a lot of money if you take it daily. I think it’s $7.50 one way. So 15 bucks a day 5 days a week. So 75 bucks x 52 weeks is 3900 a year. That’s $322 a month averaged out. Add in the fuel costs if you drive a metal behemoth SUV or truck....you might as well pay more to live in Irvine and save yourself the headache of commuting.

If you need a three bedroom and can’t exceed $2600 a month my suggestion is make do with a two bedroom, live like a pauper or.........

Don’t move here. Seriously.

The rent rates will eventually exceed your income and COL is gonna go up. So you’ll be chasing that lower rent and trading locations for the lower rent pushing yourself further out and extending your commute. And costs. But you’ll have lower rent. Maybe. Because even slumlords understand supply and demand. Then you’ll just be one of the thousands who will either be scraping by or going back home to start over. And hating California and the people here.

I’m not trying to be rude or mean. If you’re walking a financial tightrope why would you place yourself in such position where you knowingly are in a tight and poor budget. Just makes no sense to me.

I’m actually going to Colorado in October to go fishing. I have friends in Colorado. Like you they all want to come back. None can buy back in. And these people walked away with hundreds of thousands after they sold.
If you think you got the horsepower in your wallet come on down take your chance at the golden state.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:37 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Look into taking the Metrolink. I don't know where he will be working, but there are shuttles to many places from the station. I know my husband has looked at a job near the Spectrum Center and there are shuttles.

Metrolink System Map
This is the only way an Oceanside to Irvine commute could work. May not be a bad idea...

Old 09-01-2018, 12:44 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
You all realize that many people from Oceanside do this commute, right?

Old 09-01-2018, 12:49 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
It's doable, in that it would probably take about one hour, but I would not recommend it. In addition to dealing with congested N5 traffic, and occasional accidents, your husband would have to contend with random border checks (San Onofre Border Checkpoint) in San Clemente.

I would not recommend moving here if finances are tight, but if you are determined to do it, then I would suggest renting a one or two bedroom apartment close to Irvine. Maybe you could find something in Tustin, Anaheim, or Lake Forest.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:34 PM

81 posts, read 182,024 times
We have a baby, toddler and 4 year old so we need a 3 bedroom. It looked like there was some nicer places in Oceanside according to one source i looked at. Much better selection actually compared to the Irvine surrounding area.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
We have a baby, toddler and 4 year old so we need a 3 bedroom. It looked like there was some nicer places in Oceanside according to one source i looked at. Much better selection actually compared to the Irvine surrounding area.
With three kids I’m pretty sure you’re a SAHM. So hubby is the bread winner . How much money does he project he will make at the new place.better be at least 100,000. What’s his probationary period? Are the kids going to impact his work duties. Is it a 9-5? If so don’t expect him home before 7 pm.

What kind of commute is he dealing with today?

Since you’re obviously not reading or at least choosing to ignore the advice here is my suggestion. Come out here and rent adjoin8ng rooms at a hotel. Do the drive daily to work and back. Shop, preschool etc. see if you can deal with it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County