Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2021, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 10,238 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I hope you're all well! My wife and I are looking for some advice as we plan to move due to our new jobs. We are both unfamiliar with the OC area. I will be working in Long Beach near Cal State Long Beach close to the 405/22 connection. My spouse will be working in Orange near the 5/22 freeway. We've been looking for a place midway between Long Beach and Orange to make the commute equal for both of us. I have heard that Cypress/Cerritos are nice cities. Would these be good options given traffic/safety considerations? Would you recommend any other cities? Thank you so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 07:53 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
It would help to know your budget and where you are coming from. It sounds like no kids too?

Cypress is nice enough and Cerritos maybe a little less desirable. Seal Beach would be my first pick, then the Belmont Shore and Bixby Knolls neighborhoods of Long Beach. Lakewood is another city I'd consider and West Garden Grove as well.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:28 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It would help to know your budget and where you are coming from. It sounds like no kids too?

Cypress is nice enough and Cerritos maybe a little less desirable. Seal Beach would be my first pick, then the Belmont Shore and Bixby Knolls neighborhoods of Long Beach. Lakewood is another city I'd consider and West Garden Grove as well.
If commute times are typical, then West garden grove would be good as the drive West will have more traffic, but be a shorter drive. Close to the 22 would really help both. OC seems to run things better as well.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 10,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

Thanks so much for your reply and your recommendations! We currently live in a townhouse in Upland/Ontario area. My job starts in late June and my wife is already working and making the commute. It is just me and my spouse with no children. We hope to spend no more than $2500 for monthly rent. This will likely be a temporary residence for at least one year before we try to buy a home in the future. I looked into those cities you mentioned (especially Lakewood, Belmont Shore, Bixby Knolls) closer to Long Beach but that would make the drive for my wife much longer, correct? I’m not sure if it would be a reverse commute for her going east on the 22 to Orange if we did live closer to Long Beach. I’ll also look into West Garden Grove! I appreciate all your help.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:29 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
If we were a young couple, Belmont Shores and Seal Beach would be our top picks. Rent there 6 months to 12 and figure out the area. Both a great spots for young people.

The commute in any of these areas to the 5/22 isn't bad and you have many surface street alternatives to the freeway.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:06 AM

82 posts, read 126,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentiger1 View Post
Hi everyone!

I hope you're all well! My wife and I are looking for some advice as we plan to move due to our new jobs. We are both unfamiliar with the OC area. I will be working in Long Beach near Cal State Long Beach close to the 405/22 connection. My spouse will be working in Orange near the 5/22 freeway. We've been looking for a place midway between Long Beach and Orange to make the commute equal for both of us. I have heard that Cypress/Cerritos are nice cities. Would these be good options given traffic/safety considerations? Would you recommend any other cities? Thank you so much for your input!
West Garden Grove, 92845, seems like a good option. It's in Orange County, but close to Long Beach. It's more affordable than many of the surrounding area's. It's located right on the 405/22 interchange, so it would work great for your commute. It's considered the best part of Garden Grove and it is really nice, clean and safe. It has it's own little commercial area, so it's convenient for shopping and has some options for going out to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County