Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times

Advertisements

To answer the question, will you find Spanish speaking people in Santa Barbara? Yes. Especially in the agricultural areas. It's just part of the beautiful mix of our wonderful state. So if you're looking for non-Spanish speakers, I suggest you go elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 05:13 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Good answer, Kaskada. And thanks, denverian. However, regardless of what some Americans think, Hispanic is not a race; as this is factual and can be proven with genetics. Regarding the term "Anglo," you are absolutely right that MOST non-Hispanic white people in the world are not "Anglo." However, in the United States, a very large percentage of non-Hispanic white are Anglo. This does NOT include, however, people of Italian, French, Polish, Russian, etc. descent, who are considered to be "ethnic whites" in this country. I am non-mixed white and consider myself to be "ethnic white" as well.

And pootie, regarding Equatorial Guinea, there are some people from that country that can be considered "Hispanic" and others that cannot. The reason why is that in the capital, many people speak Spanish and have very European/Spanish cultural habits. I have heard that once you leave the capital, fewer and fewer people speak Spanish; many of the local ethnic groups speak their tribal language and still retain very African cultural practices and habits. One group that would most definitely consider itself "Hispanic" is the small portion of the population that is mixed-race (native African mixed with Spanish) and which speaks Spanish as its first language. However, I doubt that people of a tribe living in the rainforest that is 100% native African with little exposure to European/Spanish culture would consider itself to be "Hispanic".

Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
After reading a few of the rose22 posts, I think she should have explained better what she wanted info on and why, in order to better direct her.

Rose22 hails from Spain, she is looking to live somewhere in the US to learn English and about the United States because she thinks it is interesting here.

Now why she wanted this information, may be because she does or does not want to be around Latin Americans, I don't know.

Rose22 perhaps you could respond back here and let us know if this thread has helped you at all or if we are just a bunch of overly-sensitive hispanic and immigrant-obsessed people here in the California forum.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:05 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Hey Mach! Haven't seen you around in a while! Guess I have to come to the SoCal forums to talk to you since we bid that immigration forum goodbye.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 PM

19 posts, read 84,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootie562 View Post
Are people from guinea ecuatorial Hispanic???
Only those that have Spanish blood, either full or mixed, and/or incorporate Spanish cultural traits like language, lifestyle, habits, etc. into their day-to-day living. Outside the capital, the European influence is almost non-existant and that is quite common all over Africa.

Now, regarding blacks and mulattoes in Latin America, all of them are Hispanics because all of them are heavily influenced by the Spanish/Portuguese culture that underlines the culture of each Latin American country. An interesting fact is that there are more blacks and mulattoes in Latin America than in the U.S. and Canada combined. Yet, in the U.S. the idea of a black person being Hispanic is such an alien concept. In fact, Afro-Hispanics often have their identity challenged in the U.S. with many people telling them they are not Hispanics because of their race or looks. The same occurs to Hispanics of predominant European background, people in the U.S. don't tend to equate white natural blondes with blue eyes as being "Hispanic".

Its sad, but true; in the U.S. at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County